Washing the engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 02:47 PM
xcusemi
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Washing the engine

Hello all:

As stated on the title, I would like to know what part in the engine bay needs to cover on our beloved 993. I plan on doing this for a long time, but really worry that I might end up breaking things. Pls advise

Thanks
Old 11-18-2010, 03:00 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

On the 993 I use aluminum foil and wrap it around the electronic controllers on the LH and RH side of the engine bay and around and over the distributors. Everything else can get a good wash and soap. Warm water and Simple Green works well. Try and keep the water pressure as low as possible and warm if you can get a tap off a sink.

Aluminum foil will mold and stay on anything you wrap it around. These items don't need to be sealed, just protected from direct spray.

Make sure to rinse the engine well when all done.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:16 AM
cosmic_993
Racer

good idea on the foil wrap.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:34 AM
xcusemi
Rennlist Member

Thanks Mike for the suggestion. I plan to clean up the engine this weekend after the oil change before putting her away for the winter =)

Thanks
Old 11-19-2010, 02:06 AM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Took it to a coin-op car wash. I think I rubber banded a plastic bag over the air intake and hit her with spray Gunk. Tried not to hit it with too much of the high pressure, if any. IIRC, they had a low flow ("no spot"?) spray. Followed instructions and drove off the moisture for at least 15 minutes.

Sacrilege, perhaps, but lived to tell the tale. Engine compartment looks great!
Old 11-19-2010, 08:13 PM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Basically I bag the air intake and avoid spraying directly into the fan to spare the alternator.

I have done it this way for years with no problems. The engine was made to get wet from the louvers above.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:50 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 663 Likes on 461 Posts

You really do not need to cover anything if all you are using is a fine spray from the garden hose nozzle to rinse off the engine after cleaning.

Use a quality industrial cleaning product like Swish Facto AT-30 and you won't need the pressure of a pressure washer to remove the dirt.

To dry the engine compartment, all I do is start the engine and run it for a few minutes. The heat given off by the engine after it is shut down will dry it out nicely.

Old 11-20-2010, 12:30 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Originally Posted by mike cap
On the 993 I use aluminum foil and wrap it around the electronic controllers on the LH and RH side of the engine bay and around and over the distributors. Everything else can get a good wash and soap. Warm water and Simple Green works well. Try and keep the water pressure as low as possible and warm if you can get a tap off a sink.

Aluminum foil will mold and stay on anything you wrap it around. These items don't need to be sealed, just protected from direct spray.

Make sure to rinse the engine well when all done.
Great tip on the aluminum foil, I use Saran wrap but I like your idea better. However, maybe someone else can correct me, but I believe the Simple Green is not ph neutral and will cause corrosion on bare aluminum. I use Gunk Foaming Engine Cleaner, it doesn't hurt paint and is non-corrosive. I wait for it to come on sale at Kragen and then buy a six-pack.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:46 PM
Rdelvalle
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi guys:
I am planning to clean mine but I have one question. How do you clean the alternator fan blades. Mine is very dirty more stain than dirt. I lightly tried to clean it with cleaning liquids and did no budge. IXRLS your fan blades look immaculate. Like I said mine looks like the plastic is stained, is brownish red.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:04 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rdelvalle
IXRL8 your fan blades look immaculate. Like I said mine looks like the plastic is stained, is brownish red.
From what I have read on this forum, the fan blades are painted magnesium alloy.

I cleaned my fan blade using Swish Facto AT-30, but then is has been my number-one degreaser since 1986. I've tried others since but have found none even close in performance.

Although I do have Dunk and kerosene on hand, I only use those products when cleaning a used vehicle that I just bought. It takes the years of the caked on grime off faster. What I don't like about Dunk and kerosene is that it wrecks asphalt driveways and the strong odor.

BTW, brownish red can be rust or grease from a rusty bearing or shaft.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:10 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1pcarnut
However, maybe someone else can correct me, but I believe the Simple Green is not ph neutral and will cause corrosion on bare aluminum.
If by pH neutral you mean 7 on the scale, neither is Swish Facto AT-30 which has a pH of 12.9 . Yet it is approved for mass transit vehicles including aircraft...that are made out of aluminium. My motorcycle parts are made out of aluminium. Plus the product is safe on paint.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:30 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Here's a good guide:
http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...ur-engine-bay/

I like Optimum Power Clean as the degreaser (either straight-up or diluted depending on the grime level) http://www.detailedimage.com/Optimum...287/128-oz-S2/ pH is around 11 if I remember right.

And Aero 303 after. http://www.detailedimage.com/303-M2/...P12/128-oz-S3/
Old 11-20-2010, 04:21 PM
dcdude
Drifting

However, maybe someone else can correct me, but I believe the Simple Green is not ph neutral and will cause corrosion on bare aluminum.
+1. Don't know the Ph either, but Tony Callas steered me off of Simple Green for the engine as well, also saying that it doesn't play nice with aluminum. He recommends aerosol brake cleaner, compressed air and eye protection to spot clean the bottom of the engine. Don't know his opinion on the top.

I do like Simple Green for lots of other non-car related uses.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:51 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Don't waste time covering anything. Just don't put the hose in the intake, on under the electronics panels on either side. Try not to put a hard stream on any connectors or the distributors.

The use you favorite degreaser, & APC (NOT Simple Green). Of course have an assortment of brushes, towels, & dowels to reach the hard spots. I got some cool long handle brushes with foam on the end, that works awesome for the fan blades, & deep in the engine bay.

A clean engine is a happy engine!
Old 11-21-2010, 08:09 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Great tip on the aluminum foil, I use Saran wrap but I like your idea better. However, maybe someone else can correct me, but I believe the Simple Green is not ph neutral and will cause corrosion on bare aluminum. I use Gunk Foaming Engine Cleaner, it doesn't hurt paint and is non-corrosive. I wait for it to come on sale at Kragen and then buy a six-pack.
Do not use Simple Green !

P21S Total Auto Wash is a better safe choice.

But, fir much more expert opinions, search the Detailing forum, the sponsors there are professionals.

Quick Reply: Washing the engine