Sponsored by:

Cab Wind Noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 08:54 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Received 1,498 Likes on 971 Posts
Default Cab Wind Noise

Our 95 993 cab produces a good deal of wind noise at the junction of the door windows and the roof. Is this expected or something which naturally occurs in a 15 year old car? Was it this noisy when new? I measured the noise at the top of the window and came up with 100+ dB.

AFAIK, the top (hood in the UK) is original but in seemingly perfect shape but if there is some way to get a better seal (less noisy) I'd sure be interested.

Suggestions? Thanks. Oh, also the manual says something about a wind blocker which I suppose means when the top is retracted. Is there really such a thing? Does it work?
Old 11-15-2010, 09:04 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dryadsdad
Our 95 993 cab produces a good deal of wind noise at the junction of the door windows and the roof. Is this expected or something which naturally occurs in a 15 year old car? Was it this noisy when new? I measured the noise at the top of the window and came up with 100+ dB.

AFAIK, the top (hood in the UK) is original but in seemingly perfect shape but if there is some way to get a better seal (less noisy) I'd sure be interested.

Suggestions? Thanks. Oh, also the manual says something about a wind blocker which I suppose means when the top is retracted. Is there really such a thing? Does it work?
The "wind blocker" is the cab windscreen. It folds down behind the front seats and limits the wind in the cab. When you put the top up it folds back up in the top. Not all cab tops have them. They do make a huge difference. With top down and windows u with the windscreen there its very quiet in the cabin. I have the same problem with air leaks when the top is up. There is a thread on here somewhere that shows how to adjust the windows and the rubber where they meet to get a better seal.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:14 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Received 1,498 Likes on 971 Posts

So I need to look for something behind the front seats to see if I have a wind blocker? I think I've looked there a few times w/o seeing anything of interest.

What can I search on to find the thread on how to adjust the windows? I tried a search before posting & didn't find anything relevant. Thanks.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:19 PM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine does the same thing. I just thought all cab's had a good deal of wind noise with the top up. I'm going to search for the window alignment posting as well. Here is a picture showing the windscreen.
Attached Images  
Old 11-15-2010, 09:46 PM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I wonder if this would help?
http://www.automotion.com/carbon-fib...r-porsche.html
Old 11-15-2010, 09:57 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

So I need to look for something behind the front seats to see if I have a wind blocker? I think I've looked there a few times w/o seeing anything of interest.

What can I search on to find the thread on how to adjust the windows? I tried a search before posting & didn't find anything relevant. Thanks.
You can't miss the windscreen it is a big piece. You must not have one. It runs the entire width of the car and it attaches to the fabric of the top and pretty much covers most of the rear seats. Ill look for a picture for you and the thread.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:06 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Here is a windscreen http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...Q5fAccessories
Old 11-15-2010, 10:11 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Go Back Rennlist Discussion Forums > Air/Oil Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > 993 Forum
Reload this Page I eliminated the wind noise from my Cab!

I can't figure out how to cut and paste a thread. Do a search for cab top wind. The sixth thread down is the one you need. It is titled I eliminated the wind noise from my Cab.

Last edited by cpdjfd107; 11-15-2010 at 10:15 PM. Reason: addition
Old 11-15-2010, 10:25 PM
bluecab
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I currently have been trying to adjust the slope of the roof at the passenger door window as the window will hit the seal when closing, while the drivers side has full clearance. The passenger side window must be down about a 1/4 inch or so in order to not hit the rubber. I think it has been this way since I bought the car 5 years ago. Recently one of the latching motors broke. I fixed it by turning the gear with the broken teeth in the locking body. Now I cannot get the red light in the center console to go off, plus for some unknown reason the top will not go down once the motors unlatch at the windshield. I have been raising/lowering the forks located at the cab transmission area with some success, (I have found this will alter the amount of wind noise present) but there must be other areas that can be adjusted. Does anyone know if there are other adjustment spots?
Old 11-15-2010, 11:07 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Ummm... 100+ dB... no. Not very likely. Not likely at all. Well, hell, nearly impossible.

That is not to say that the cabs are not loud around the doors. But not 100 db.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:12 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I believe you can adjust both the height of the side windows and the angle of them. You have to remove the door panel to do so.

You might also look at the condition of the seals at the windshield and the side of the roof. Some lube -- gummi pflege is really good stuff (if BMW still makes it, if not I believe Wurth has something similar) -- can help restore some life to the seals. They are not cheap to replace.

Mine is reasonably quiet with the roof up, not as quiet as my wife's CLK550, but not ridiculously loud. I replaced the driver's side seal and had the top professionally adjusted three years ago.

My rock band is 105 db onstage. I can hear the radio when I'm driving the car with the top up, and I sure wouldn't hear it at 105 db.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:16 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nile13
Chris, what;s the name of the thread that you are referring to? And what was the cure?
It was titled " I eliminated the wind noise from my cab"
Do a search for cab top wind.

The thread was started by Dudley it's the sixth thread from the top.
It looks like he adjusted the rubber above the windows to seal better and make sure the gap was minimal.

Your check went out Saturday so you shou;d see it tomorrow if you didn't see it today.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:21 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Chris, yep, I've found it. Funny enough, i actually know Dave (Dudley) personally, he's a local guy. So if I need hand-holding I'll just ask him
Old 11-15-2010, 11:24 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nile13
Chris, yep, I've found it. Funny enough, i actually know Dave (Dudley) personally, he's a local guy. So if I need hand-holding I'll just ask him
Nice!! I haven't been able to meet any other RI 993's yet had a busy summer. Good luck getting the top adjusted. Instead of dealing with the wind noise I got Fister stage III's and voila, no more wind noise.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:48 AM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess we are lucky because our '95 cab is very quiet, amazingly so. Just turned 50,000 miles but it did have the recall done (with an adjustment as well) by the prior owner. I saw it in the paperwork when I bought the car.

Quick Reply: Cab Wind Noise