Sponsored by:

To Keep or to Sell (993 vs 930)? Opinions/Advice Wanted

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 10:32 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I put a Kokeln intercooler, HKS electronic boost controller so I could run 1.0 bar briefly, and a Euro exhaust on my 87 930 ... very nice upgrade and not too much money. I miss that car.

Some people just change the spring on the wastegate, but you don't want to run higher boost all the time without upgrading the fuel system or you risk detonation.

That's the danger of buying an already modded 930, you don't know how it's been run, whether it's been detonating all the time, etc. It's the rule of thumb with a 930 ... everyone wants an unmodified car, and then everyone immediately runs out and modifies it.

The 965 is a really nice car, though. But it's not quite the look of the classic 930.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:12 PM
Al Z
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My 79 ROW 930 has a K27 turbo, upgrader carrera chain tensioners, Andial intercooler, one bar waste gate, SC cams, 993 TT head studs, Stainless steel headers/exhaust. Was told by the previous owner (Master Porsche mechanic at a Porsche dealership) who build the car, it should be putting out about 350 to 360 hp conservatibly. Car was build for long term reliability.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:42 PM
TX Silver
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vjd3
The 965 is a really nice car, though. But it's not quite the look of the classic 930.
965s are odd to me. Half the time they look great and the other half I don't care for them. I don't know if they look different and different angles or what. I wouldn't mind owning one, but it wouldn't be my first choice. This is coming from a guy who loves the look of a 914.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:08 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TX Silver
965s are odd to me. Half the time they look great and the other half I don't care for them. I don't know if they look different and different angles or what.
They must be two-faced.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:32 PM
TX Silver
Instructor

Originally Posted by bart1
They must be two-faced.
Very well played.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:40 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

965s are odd to me. Half the time they look great and the other half I don't care for them. I don't know if they look different and different angles or what. I wouldn't mind owning one, but it wouldn't be my first choice. This is coming from a guy who loves the look of a 914.

I understand. The back-end could have been better but the tail helps balance it visually, for me anyway. But, drive one, the difference with the suspension, A/C, and 5-speed really make a huge difference and more than make up for some of the visual shortcomings.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:14 PM
Greg Lab
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've owned them both, I would vote 993. The 930 was a blast, but in the end it was very difficult to get it to pass smog in TX. I did the standard upgrade on the 930 ( K-27 turbo, Big intercooler, headers) dyno 405 HP at crank, wonderful performance. But it got to be such a hassle to pass inspection. Always had to talk my way into keeping it off the rollers, and had to lean it out, retard spark, burn regular gasoline, always a stressful event, failed many times. I love the more user friendly 993,and superior A/C. You will be adding freon every year to the 930, and I didn't drive it much in summer. That said, my 1989 930 was a beast! I loved it, wish I had it in garage next to the 993...
Old 11-05-2010, 02:48 PM
TX Silver
Instructor

Thanks for the replies. I think it's going up for sale next week. If I get no takers that it'll be a sign that I should keep it and go to town with the changes I want to make. If it sells quickly then the hunt is on.

Thanks again.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:23 AM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had both (see my sig). Though those with earlier year 930's will disagree, spend the bucks for an'89 with 5-speed and hydraulic clutch. Tranny is nice snick snick. Non-power steering makes it feel like a truck at neighborhood speeds.stock a 930 has the same horsepower as a 993 but I think nicer power delivery. Keep stock for max value. A C sucks but I upgraded mine for around $1,000 and got 34 degrees at the vent...worked great.

Turbo much older, more to make it right but very cool looking. Tough choice.

Last edited by Jastx; 11-09-2010 at 12:59 AM.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:36 AM
Bob S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have both a '84 930 and a 993.... As others have said there is a real difference. When I drive the 930 I think it's my favorite, but I change my mind once inside the 993... My only suggestion is drive a 930 before you make a decision.

Bob
Old 12-17-2010, 12:26 PM
TX Silver
Instructor

Thanks to everyone for all of the input.

The 993 is on a transport to Canada as I type this. It was sad watching the driver load the car. Managed to snap one last photo as I was pulling out to go to work.

Now the search starts for a 930. Hopefully I find a 930 before I see a 914-6 that distracts me from my mission...

TX
Attached Images  
Old 12-17-2010, 01:14 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I came up with really long-winded post initially, but my question really isn't that complicated.

I've always had an affinity for the 930, yet never owned one. Somehow I ended up with a 993 (which is NOT a bad thing).

I love seeing the 993 in the garage, but wonder if I'd like the 930 a little bit more.

The 993 needs some TLC (paint, gaskets for oil leak & seat re-dye). I have the money set aside to provide that TLC along with some wheels, suspension, RS bits and a few other odds & ends.

Should I keep the 993 and spend the dollars on it, or would I be better off selling it in the low 20's and taking my extra cash to find a nice, sorted out 930?

I've thought about this way too much, and either one would work for me knowing what I currently know . I've found a lot of wisdom, along with some other stuff , on the board since I joined and maybe there's something I'm missing in the equation.

Any input would be appreciated. I've cross-posted this on the 930 board as well.

Thanks,
TX
You won't.

In the grander scheme of things you just won't like a 930 as much. Especially if it's an older one.

They are more money to buy.
They are more expensive to own.
They are more liablity.

And you won't drive it as much.

Dont get me wrong.

I drove a 79 grey market 930 when they were band new ~ with super-cams and the biggest intercooler that would fit in the tail. It was astonishing! Said to have been a new 200mph car. I lost my nerve at 179.

And of course it has the trully classic Porsche look. When I think of Porsche that is one the first cars that always comes to mind. Widebody, bunches of black rubber, whale-tailed Turbo 911.

I know it's not a 993, would like to have one, but my 964 is SO much easier to live with and I am plenty happy with it.

I would love to have the turbo power, but just not the headaches and liablity of a turbo car. Even maintance is twice that of a same vintage NA car ~ way more involved just to do a valve adjust on a turbo than an NA car.

I would own a 930. However, I would only own one if I had another Porsche to drive regularly.

I can promise you, in the long run you are better off putting the money in the 993 than buying a 930.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:31 PM
TX Silver
Instructor

Pulled the trigger on a 930 in MD this weekend. Transported her back to North Texas behind the family utility vehicle.

This thing is great!!! Has the feel that I was expecting as far a general driving is concerned. The power is more than I expected. This is going to be fun in a scary kind of way.

It's not pristine. It's a 25 year old car that looks like it was taken care of by the owners. It's going to need a little interior work since the leather is a bit scuffed. I'm also going to have to get under it and find out where an oil leak is coming from. It's a bigger leak than I feel comfortable driving around with.

Thanks to everyone who provided input on this thread.

TX
Attached Images  
Old 02-14-2011, 09:38 AM
SC2993
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 31 Posts

Congratulations, silver is one of the best colors IMHO. What are some of your first impressions regarding the handling and power going from the 993 to 930? Stock exhaust and suspension on your car? Hope that you get your oil leak checked out, we have some beautiful weather in N. TX for a nice drive this week. Enjoy your new ride!
Old 02-14-2011, 10:10 AM
samsnead
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats! Beautiful car.

Man, I wish winter was over!

Quick Reply: To Keep or to Sell (993 vs 930)? Opinions/Advice Wanted