Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

MSDS California - are they still open? Help

Old 10-30-2010, 07:07 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Erik,

You ask excellent questions! KBell has exactly this AC003 MSDS filter fitted to his engine and it sure does look good. I am having inlet manifolds removed and painted steel grey metallic like the other highlights on my car. While the airbox and inlet manifolds are out I will have the sound pad changed the the aftermarket Ultimate soundpad which is lighter, thinner, longer lasting and much more effective. Ill have the injectors removed and serviced.

In answer to your question no I will not fit the clutch venting tube. Its ugly and serves almost no purpose. My mechanic has suggested simply buying some Uni air filter foam andwe will take off the stainless clamp that holds that gastly rubber arm thingy and clamp the filter material over it. This way it is totally hidden and protected. Warm air rises so its still breathing the clutch.

What are your thoughts on this solution?

Once completed that filter sure makes the engine bay alot cleaner especially with the RS bypass. From previous experience it sounds absolutely fantastic on WOT specially around 5000 rpm+. I never noticed any lack of power and neither has KB or Bill but I will dyno test both set ups just for my own curiosity. Hopefully it doesnt loose any HP either.

Cheers
M
Attached Images  
Old 10-30-2010, 07:34 PM
rsr91128
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Kevin's intakes look sweet, he had all of the mount castings ground off before paint and it really looks clean.

As for the clutch vent, I was thinking of trying to just put another vent elbow on the bell housing, like the elbow that is on the other side of the housing. I am installing a LWF this winter and was going to check and see if the hole spacing is the same on both sides and just get rid of the hose and pipe altogether (plugging the hole in the engine tin of course).

With that $40 discount this is really looking like a good way to help clean up the engine bay without breaking the bank.

Thanks for pointing me in this direction, hope the kit gets there in good shape.

Love your car, keep posting pic's and your ratings of the upgrades.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:14 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Erik,

I think your plan is perfect.

I had the gearbox dropped for doing LWFC in Feb and I eally wish I had have removed this pipe at tat time. I beleive the pipe, snorkle, airbox and associated hardware will weigh around 2.7kg or 6.0lb. The MSDS cone weighs around 700 gram (1.6lb). Thats a fair weight savings as well as opening up the engine bay for better air circulation.

I found a filter taht Ithink will work very nicely on the 993. Its a BMC double cone filter model TW 90 130P (for Porsche). Its made for Porsche Bosch 90mm MAF fitments by italian company BMC and is very high quality. Its about 110 usd shipped so I bought one to compare fitment to MSDS cone.

I will ask my Porsche mechanic if I can remove the clutch breather alloy pipe with the engine/gearbox in place. I suspec not, But if so I think you can find a 40mm smaller foam type airfilter on ebay for a motor sycle and connc using a 40mm elbow to stop dirt entering and it will all be tucked away....

I will be posting a new review of my 993 at Xmas. I have another roun of mods in November - about a dozen very small tweaks and another dyno session to try and eek out a bit more performance....

Will keep you informed...

Cheers
M

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MSDS California - are they still open? Help