Sponsored by:

Motec conversion - Almost there

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 01:13 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey Juha,

How did you go about dealing with the power to the ecu and the triggering of the DME relay? I have been having some minor issues switching the DME Relay. When I use 2 Aux outs from my ecu to provide ground to The DME Pin 85 and 85B the fuel pump starts without the ignition being on.

I have created a temporary workaround to get the car started but need to get it wired correctly.

Can you share how you wired power and trigger the DME relay with me? Colin do you have any advice?
I am willing to pay for said advice as well. I would like this to be setup correctly rather that the workaround I have created.

I understand that yours is the 88pin and not the 55, however I believe the way the DME relay works is the same.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:30 PM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Juha, any updates?
Old 03-03-2011, 08:29 AM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts

Hey guys,

It has been a long and cold winter up here in the north. But finally the days are getting longer and warmer.

I haven't touched the 993 after I put her away to winter storage in October.
We were quite close to being able to start up the engine with the Motec but noticed that we still need to re-check all the configurations (software) for the AUX inputs/outputs.

Yesterday I got around to finalize the wiring for the Motec.
There is a not in the users manual that the ignition should be cut off when the fuel pump is not running. (i.e. when the engine has stopped), I suppose it is to protect the unit.
But I didn't want to touch the original harness and since I need to run power to the ignition amps, I will add a relay that is controlled by the fuel pump relay. i.e. if the fuel pump is not grounded (on), the ignition amps are not powered either and this will prevent the motec from holding the spark in the ignition coils. Here's how it's going to be:

And here's the wiring loom with the ignition amps:

I still need to put the wiring into the steel cover but I won't do that before I am 100% sure the system works.

I will keep you posted as I get some progress!
Old 09-24-2011, 04:24 PM
slvr993
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts

Any Updates???
Old 09-24-2011, 08:39 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

hahah!! No...

I have been so tied up with work and my other projects that I haven't had time to even drive the 993.
Only two track outings this Summer with the 993 (plenty of racing with the BMW though) and maybe 300km's on the street...

I just finished building my garage so hoping to tackle the Motec project again soon. First I have to get my 850ci daily driver back in order (no speedo signal = only 30% throttle available).

I will be giving a lot of TLC (including a new interior) to the 993 this winter and really hope to fire it up with the Motec soon.

I will keep you posted!

Last edited by Juha G; 09-24-2011 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:28 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Juha that's a great looking garage, well done! The 850 looks really cool too. Any plans on putting a nice leather armchair in there, maybe a couple of nice framed porsche ads from the 90s, maybe a fridge for the beer? :-). How big is the garage? Looks to be plenty of room in there = perfect!

House looks newly build too. Man, we still need to hook up, are you visiting here anytime soon?

I saw your engine upgrade plans in the other thread, it's a tough call. I would lean towards 9M but as you say, it might not be the best bang for the buck. Can't beat the build quality though and since you already have the Motec setup, that'll give you a ton of adjustability..

What are you going to do with the interior?

Keep up the good work
Old 10-23-2011, 07:33 AM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Viggo
Juha that's a great looking garage, well done! The 850 looks really cool too. Any plans on putting a nice leather armchair in there, maybe a couple of nice framed porsche ads from the 90s, maybe a fridge for the beer? :-). How big is the garage? Looks to be plenty of room in there = perfect!

House looks newly build too. Man, we still need to hook up, are you visiting here anytime soon?

I saw your engine upgrade plans in the other thread, it's a tough call. I would lean towards 9M but as you say, it might not be the best bang for the buck. Can't beat the build quality though and since you already have the Motec setup, that'll give you a ton of adjustability..

What are you going to do with the interior?

Keep up the good work
Hey Viggo,

The garage is 100m2 (~1100sq.ft). 8,5m x 11,5m (inside). I built as big as I could fit in that place. I didn't want to cut the two 100-year old trees right next to the garage. I have plenty of space behind the garage so eventully I will build another one there...

I hate garages that are too small. When it's difficult to drive the car in and get out of it and impossible to do anything to the car.
Now I have space to do almost anything. I'm planning on a scissor lift too.
And of course there will be a leather arm chair (or two) and a fridge for the beers. I will also install a airconditioning unit (air heat pump) to get the moisture out of there and help keep it warm (and cool during summers).

You should come to Finland next summer! We are only 1 hour drive from Turku where you can easily get with the ferries. We should take on Ahvenisto or Alastaro!!

I will most probably re-do the entire interior. I have had the RS carpets for 2 years now sitting in a box. I haven't gotten around to install them because they are replicas and I think they are too thin. (will show all wrinkles and shapes underneath too well).
Let's see what happens...
Old 10-23-2011, 11:56 AM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Great looking garage ( and the cars look good too!)
Old 11-10-2011, 11:03 AM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FisterD
Great looking garage ( and the cars look good too!)
Thanks!

Today I had the heating system installed so should be nice and warm there also during the winter.

Back to the topic! I finally got the car to start up with the Motec and now she is in the hands of my friend who will do the mapping on a dyno beginning of next week. Can't wait to see the outcome. It will be a good base line dyno before the supercharger installation this winter...oopss!! Did I say that???
Old 11-10-2011, 11:17 AM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Awesome..... Can't wait to see how the dyno run goes....

This is a great path you are taking, Motec followed by the SC, will make tuning the SC much easier.....
Old 11-16-2011, 08:13 AM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

My friend just called me. He had spent the entire day today tuning the fuel and ignition maps. End result was 310hp and 390Nm corrected to crank hp....
He said the throttle response is awesome. Can't wait to drive it tonight!!!

The before dyno was 279hp and 337Nm on same inertia dyno in very similar conditions. No other modifications than the Motec.

i.e. by optimizing the fuel and ignition maps we gained a whopping +30hp and +50Nm!!!!!

Last edited by Juha G; 11-16-2011 at 11:41 AM.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:25 AM
evoderby
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice results! Just curious, are these numbers with cats?
Old 11-16-2011, 08:40 AM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by evoderby
Very nice results! Just curious, are these numbers with cats?
Yes, I have two 200-cell metallic "sport" cats installed on a dach X-pipe.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:59 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Juha G
My friend just called me. He had spent the entire day today tuning the fuel and ignition maps. End result was 310hp and 390Nm corrected to crank hp....
He said the throttle response is awesome. Can't wait to drive it tonight!!!

The before dyno was 279hp and 337Nm on same inertia dyno in very similar conditions. No other modifications than the Motec.

i.e. by optimazing the fuel and ignition maps a whopping +30hp and +50Nm!!!!!

Although I've been telling everyone these numbers for the last 10 years it is still highly satisfying to know that someone else has verified my findings. Great result Juha, well done!!

Hopefully this also marks the moment when people finally stop listening to those who tell you what you can't do? I live in hope......
Old 11-16-2011, 11:18 AM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Yes Colin, and this dyno is considered to be a very conservative.one. I have never seen a stock car making more than factory figures on this dyno. It gives usually 1-2% less than factory specs...

Here's the dyno plot:

And the baseline:

Last edited by Juha G; 11-16-2011 at 11:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Motec conversion - Almost there