Sponsored by:

Switch for fan override mod?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 03:12 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Switch for fan override mod?

I am going to do this install, and will add a switch in the middle lower position of the console as shown below. The how-to article recommends a 944 hazard switch, which you apparnetly need to Dremel to fit the dummy opening.

Wondering, why would you not just use a 993 hazard switch? Should that not fit the opening better? Yes, you'd have an identical "2nd" red hazard switch, but at least it would match the shape of the rest of them, and you could always add a "fan" emblem if it mattered to you.

Thoughts?

Best,

Matt

PS - I am looking closer at the photo, and it appears the top switches are larger than the lower ones. Hmm. I don't have access to my car for a bit - can anyone volunteer to take a close look at theirs and visually confirm/estimate whether the top-left red hazard switch would fit in the bottom center slot?

Thanks!
Attached Images  

Last edited by Matt Lane; 10-20-2010 at 04:06 PM.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:15 PM
NeufCentOnze
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have done just that: installed a second red hazard switch where you indicated.
It does not take long to get used to the switch location and not confuse it with the real hazard switch, and I should add that the overide works wonders.
I wish the switch was not red though - it would be more discrete.
Sorry I can't post pictures because I am over a 1000 mikles away from my car right now.
Chris
Old 10-20-2010, 04:19 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Chris, thanks for the post!

I assume the switch is lit up when depressed to activate the fans? That would be helpful so it does not get forgotten on.

Just to be 100% certain before I order one, anyone else able to confirm?

Best,

Matt
Old 10-20-2010, 04:42 PM
NeufCentOnze
Rennlist Member

Unless my memory fails me, my false hazard / real overide switch does not light up when toggled down. I don't recall either that the real hazard swicth lights up?
What I am sure about is that the oil temp hardly goes above 9:00 when the overide is on. I have wondered if forgetting the overide on could be a problem (e.g. on a cold start, the engine would obviously take longer to get to normal operating temperature). In fact I am sure it happened to me already () but hopefully it is not causing any sort of engine stress.
Cheers
Chris
Old 10-20-2010, 05:26 PM
CAHRERA
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Here's mine. I have a little FAN picture on mine. 2nd switch on the bottom row.
Attached Images  
Old 10-20-2010, 08:10 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Scott, nice!

Do you remember which switch you used?

Best,

Matt
Old 10-20-2010, 08:59 PM
CAHRERA
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Yes I used the 944 Hazard switch and then used some of my wife's nail polish remover to remove the Hazard Triangle emblem. In the DIY you can actually wire up the light so it would light up the switch when you have the FAN on. But I didn't go that far in hooking that up. I'm sure the DIY is on the Pcar Workshop site. For sure it's at P-CAR website.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:29 AM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used a Fog Light switch from Gert and put in the blank on the dashboard next to teh other fog light switch.

Looks like it belongs there, and wiring was simple.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:06 AM
600RR
Burning Brakes

Pete: Good idea! Can you explain the process of deleting the blank and installing the switch? Did you take off the upper dash to do it?
Old 10-21-2010, 11:57 AM
avslash
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm loving the fan emblem added to the extra switch.

How was that accomplished???

I hardwired a garage door opener to to a switch in the extra location in my car, and would love to have some type of emblem there.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:44 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 872 Likes on 574 Posts
Default fan switch

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
I am going to do this install, and will add a switch in the middle lower position of the console as shown below.

Thanks!
Matt
i used a 944 switch in the bottom right slot where the spoiler control typically is installed.
I did not have to do any dremeling.
the switch does not illuminate unless you run power to the lamp also, there is not internal connection between the FAN and LAMP.

I did not remove the CCU
i tapped into a wire in the passenger footwell and ran the two longer wires through the console, very sanitary, no visibility of hanging wires.

my only nitpick, is that the switch itself has two differing width plastic tangs that secure it into the console.
Their orientation forces you to install the switch "upside-down", when circuit is off, the top is depressed which is different than all the other switches.

I'm going to buy another switch, ($15 at junkyards here), and dremel the switch locking tang so that i can install right side up.

This is a very worthwhile mod.

Feel free to PM me and we can chat on telephone if you have any questions.

enjoy.

Craig

Last edited by cgfen; 10-25-2010 at 02:02 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:51 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

I used a 911SC rear window wiper switch part # 911 613 321 01. There is a switch cutout in the metal of the dash next to the fuel/oil level gauge that fits this switch perfectly, in a mirror position to the clock setting switch. Make an X-cut in the vinyl dash cover to accept the new switch, wire it up, and it snaps right in place.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:01 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Can you explain the process of deleting the blank and installing the switch
I put in an actual rear fog so I've installed a switch here, but for a different purpose. It's pretty easy. Just remove the radio for access and carefully cut it open with an exacto knife.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:34 AM
ggg1ggg
Rennlist Member

Damn... now I'm not sure whether to put in the fan relay override or a garage door opener (http://p-car.com/diy/opener/) in that coveted blank spot.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:41 AM
CarmG993
Burning Brakes

I also did the mod and installed a 944 switch. I believe I cut down the tabs and then reinforced with some type of adhesive. No issues to date.

Quick Reply: Switch for fan override mod?