2Many: Thanks.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:56 AM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 600RR
Pete: Good idea! Can you explain the process of deleting the blank and installing the switch? Did you take off the upper dash to do it?
There is a hole predrilled in the dash between the fog light and cigarette lighter. Just puncture the vinyl to use it. Use the same DIN key tools to remove both the radio and the Climate Control unit to gain access to the (G12) green/black CCU wire. Interrupt it and connect to the new switch. (http://p-car.com/diy/fanswitch/)

The only anomaly is that the switch is normally kept pulled out out, and pushed in to active the oil cooler fan manually. Haven't made the light in the switch work either, but haven't really tried.

Manual control of the fan really helps when stuck in traffic or waiting in the autocross staging line.

I used the tail activation switch on the console to work my garage door opener. (Also on P-Car.com)
Old 12-21-2010, 11:11 AM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Just an update on the switch for the middle position in the console:

I got a set of 944 switches from the bay and it confirmed that there is a better option than the hazard switch that does not require any dremeling. It is the rear windshield wiper arm switch for a 89 944 and a 1:1 replacement with the blind switch; part number 95161311300 which is cheaper on the bay than the recommended hazard switch.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...Q5fAccessories

They other advantage is that the switch is "electrically closed" (normal operation) in its base position and is aligned with the other switches. You can clearly see if you are in bypass operation after you operated the switch.

Here is a pic. I have not cleaned the switch but Aerospace 303 will make them look the same:

The rest of the installation should be easy. I will go for it as soon as my new stereo (Kenwood BT900) arrives next year.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:10 PM
CAHRERA
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by avslash
I'm loving the fan emblem added to the extra switch.

How was that accomplished???

I hardwired a garage door opener to to a switch in the extra location in my car, and would love to have some type of emblem there.
I cut the emblem out from a sheet of vinyl decal by using a xacto-knife.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:56 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

I did this the hard way and installed the Ruf aux oil cooler, which turns your A/C button into the fan over-ride switch.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:16 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by e9stibi
Just an update on the switch for the middle position in the console:

nice find!

Craig
Old 12-21-2010, 06:44 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

e9stibi, is the finish different from the other switches or is it just the photo? I used a 944 emergency switch. Removing the taps so it would fit was a 60 second job, no big deal. What I would like to do is figure out how to wire it so the switch's light would come on when the switch is activated.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:04 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"I used a 944 emergency switch. Removing the taps so it would fit was a 60 second job, no big deal. "

Me too.

" What I would like to do is figure out how to wire it so the switch's light would come on when the switch is activated."
Chuck W.

Me three. I didn't think about lighting it up. Hmmmmmm.

I don't mind the orientation of the 944 switch but I might have to get out my nail polsh,,,, uh, I mean my wifes nail polish remover and the family xacto blade.

chuck
Old 12-22-2010, 10:24 AM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck W.
e9stibi, is the finish different from the other switches or is it just the photo? I used a 944 emergency switch. Removing the taps so it would fit was a 60 second job, no big deal. What I would like to do is figure out how to wire it so the switch's light would come on when the switch is activated.
The finish is the same but the switch is older and I think the donor car was not garaged all the time which caused some fading. Not a big deal and with 303 this will be ok. The switch is not lighted. Just a basic "on/off" switch but this is exactly what I wanted. in summary, for the people that like the light: go with the hazard switch.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:22 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by e9stibi
The finish is the same but the switch is older and I think the donor car was not garaged all the time which caused some fading. Not a big deal and with 303 this will be ok. The switch is not lighted. Just a basic "on/off" switch but this is exactly what I wanted. in summary, for the people that like the light: go with the hazard switch.
Unless a way to light the switch is found, I think your switch is the way to go; cheaper and plug and play. Nice find.

Quick Reply: Switch for fan override mod?