Sponsored by:

RS Aero Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 09:13 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Default RS Aero Mirrors

I recently discovered that I own a pair of lightweight RS Aeromirrors. I thought they were just regular power Aeromirrors, but after a second look, I realized they were REALLY light and had no wires (doh!) coming out of them.

So, I did some investigation and it turns out that these mirrors are indeed special, they came on the RS cars of course, but they were also optional on the '94 Speedster as well.

They come from the factory without power motors/wiring and instead have a simple rotating ball system and lightweight mirrors installed. They weigh 1lb 14oz for the passenger side and 2lb's for the drivers side. Anybody know what regular power mirrors weigh or have a set in a box they could weigh on a kitchen scale and see what the difference is? I guess I could pull mine off the coupe and weigh them, but .... I'm lazy.

Anybody have any idea what something like these are worth?
Old 10-15-2010, 09:15 PM
payam972
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they are worth about 100 bucks, ill take them
Old 10-15-2010, 09:16 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by payam972
they are worth about 100 bucks, ill take them
I could almost HEAR that one comin' ...
Old 10-16-2010, 12:03 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

So, just an update. I called Sunset yesterday and went through the parts list with them. They are all still available and the unique RS parts take a month to come from Germany on special order. The total cost per mirror at 15% over cost was $370 (a tad more for one than the other) so about $750/pair. A little higher than the $500 some folks quoted over on the 964 forum, but not bad considering the price of a hood crest almost doubled in the last 8 months .. I didn't price the regular mirror parts, but I'd bet they are more $$ because of the electronics.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:16 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 200 Posts

I had those in my RS America. I suppose they are marginally lighter than the ones with the electric motors. One thing I really didn't like about them was that they are a pain to adjust. Especially the passenger side. If Porsche really wanted to make a light mirror, they should've made a plastic base instead of steel. That's the heaviest part of the whole assembly.

I appreciate Porsche trying to make a lighter car, but window and mirror motors for instance are really not that heavy in the scope of things. Just my ¢2.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:18 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ilko
I had those in my RS America. I suppose they are marginally lighter than the ones with the electric motors. One thing I really didn't like about them was that they are a pain to adjust. Especially the passenger side. If Porsche really wanted to make a light mirror, they should've made a plastic base instead of steel. That's the heaviest part of the whole assembly.

I appreciate Porsche trying to make a lighter car, but window and mirror motors for instance are really not that heavy in the scope of things. Just my ¢2.
Yeah, probably some truth there, Ilko, but I'd have to say, since no one else drives them, when I set a drivers seat and mirrors in my P-cars, they stay that way barring unforeseen circumstances. I'd bet if you weighed the seat motors and electronics they add up to a few pounds. Any idea what the standard power mirrors weigh?

Last edited by JPP; 10-16-2010 at 12:50 PM. Reason: brain fart
Old 10-16-2010, 12:18 PM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 75 Likes on 48 Posts

I was thinking what a weird option to request on a cab, but now I see the beverly hills 5 thingy.
might be all kinds of cool easter eggs on it.
fun.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:20 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by k722070
I was thinking what a weird option to request on a cab, but now I see the beverly hills 5 thingy.
might be all kinds of cool easter eggs on it.
fun.
The mirrors didn't come on my Cab, they came on a pair of doors I bought recently (black).
Old 10-16-2010, 12:50 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by JPP
Yeah, probably some truth there, Ilko. Any idea what the standard power mirrors weigh?
I'm sorry, I don't know, I've never weighed them. They are pretty easy to remove though, especially on the 993, since there is a snap-on electrical connector at the base. The 964 has the wires go directly to the switch in the door. If you have time and a 5mm (I think) allen key you can take the mirror off in a couple of minutes.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:55 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ilko
I'm sorry, I don't know, I've never weighed them. They are pretty easy to remove though, especially on the 993, since there is a snap-on electrical connector at the base. The 964 has the wires go directly to the switch in the door. If you have time and a 5mm (I think) allen key you can take the mirror off in a couple of minutes.
I did pull them off the Cab when I bought it because someone in her "past" had gotten so much caked on car wax everywhere, it was the only way to get it all off from under the gaskets. Then, it took me about an hour to get the damn gaskets back on the bases ... good times that I'll miss when I'm too old to teeter up to the garage anymore ...
Old 10-17-2010, 10:12 AM
clubsport1
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't see the problem with the adjustment, once thay are set, how often are you likely to change..surely no else drives the car?

Next thing you need is the manual wind up windows with thinner glass to match your mirrors.....
Old 10-17-2010, 11:59 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by clubsport1
I don't see the problem with the adjustment, once thay are set, how often are you likely to change..surely no else drives the car?

Next thing you need is the manual wind up windows with thinner glass to match your mirrors.....
Yep, I would agree... Once the mirrors are set, chances are they would stay that way for a good while. Now, manual windows might be a total PITA! (wow, I've gotten soft and spoiled ....)
Old 10-18-2010, 07:36 PM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

ok, so I completely admit to being a dweeb, but I got some mirror 'bras' for a track event I'm doing in November...this car hasn't been on track before to my knowledge (certainly not in the 3 years I've had it) and will put a bra on the front of the car after cleaning the paint well (and tape the edges down with the same painter's masking tape I'll put around the wheel wells and on the front of the rear flares.

I figured it's cheap protection for my 'heavy' normal mirrors ;-)
Old 10-18-2010, 08:12 PM
poorb0yw
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From my weight reduction records, the stock electric mirrors weighed in at approximately 5 pounds.
So you get around 1lb reduction from these mirrors. There may have been more related weight loss if the wiring harness for the RS forgoes the wiring leading into the doors from under the dash.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:52 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by poorb0yw
From my weight reduction records, the stock electric mirrors weighed in at approximately 5 pounds.
So you get around 1lb reduction from these mirrors. There may have been more related weight loss if the wiring harness for the RS forgoes the wiring leading into the doors from under the dash.
You know, that occured to me as well, so I went back out to the garage and looked at the doors and sure enough, the wiring is there... Go figure.

Quick Reply: RS Aero Mirrors