Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rust Prevention - around the windscreen.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 07:44 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 680 Likes on 474 Posts

A product that I have used is Permatex Flowable Silicone Windshield and Glass Sealer - 65AR.

I've used it as a potting compound. The product flows extremely well (would have to apply it with the car on a slope) and seeps into all crevices. I tried removing it; it clings to the plastic potting box I used, like crazy.

Other uses: sealing plastic light assemblies.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:28 PM
burtraccoon
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now this is more like it!! THREAD REVIVAL!!!!
Old 08-29-2012, 08:33 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Now if you ever have to replace your windshield, won't this be a PIA with the silicone there?

And if water does somehow get thru the silicone, it will basically be trapped now.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:40 PM
burtraccoon
Banned

Shock! Thought it was about time a spanner was thrown in. This is a preventative. I would rather have a hard find pulling out the screen than deal with corrosion. Done properly water shouldnt get in there.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:42 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 184 Posts

But if there is no damage, ie; if the car has had that area repaired and painted then rust wont develop. Im sure the corrosion is caused by windscreen replacement most of the time. Any original owners who have their original screen had any issues here? Mine has just been repaired but had a replacement screen fitted badly about 7 years ago
Old 08-30-2012, 05:32 AM
orangecurry
Three Wheelin'

Received 410 Likes on 280 Posts

...so here we are two years later.

Knight - if I have to replace the screen then the silicone will make things more difficult. So what? The sealant I have added means no water gets in, no air gets in, therefore rust cannot form.... or at least it is slowed down to a rate that will not cause a problem before the rest of the car disintegrates.

That's all I care about. Removing/refitting a screen is the screen-fitters issue. I'll be getting it done by someone who knows what they are doing so there won't be any damage.

911Pervy - so why do Porsche tell you to completely fill the aperture? Because corrosion is caused by water and air sitting on painted metal trapped in the corners. And the plastic/rubber trim when refitted into the windscreen surround rubs against the paintwork as the car flexes, which is another poor design, ameliorated by the teflon tape that was fitted at the factory (on my MY96 at least).

You really don't want anywhere for the water to be able to sit.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:05 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Thats why I asked if anyone has an original car & screen to see if there was a problem

Am I wrong in thinking painted metal wont rust?
Old 08-30-2012, 07:36 AM
Neil Perry
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
I had a 1997 with an original front windscreen replaced last week and there was no rust.
Although the person doing the glass did scratch the paint, but I fixed it.
The glass person had no intention of fixing the scratched paint. Typical

Interesting our cars are galvanized, that should help.

I think the biggest issue is scratched paint or bad painting with dirt build up in the window gaps with water added and then in other parts of the world where salt is put on the roads, creates a bigger problem.

Fill the gap with silicone................................
Old 08-30-2012, 11:18 AM
osugasman
Racer

But, how high up would you flow the silicone caulking? Can't really take it all the way up the A pillars?

Also, what about the same problem with the rear window? Same design flaw. I don't drive in the rain and always peel back the cover to dry it out. Luckily as a multi owner car, I don't have any problems as of yet.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:25 AM
911PERVY
Banned

The TBS instructs to fill in all the surround, bottom, sides and top same for rear screen
Old 08-30-2012, 06:12 PM
burtraccoon
Banned

Originally Posted by 911PERVY
Thats why I asked if anyone has an original car & screen to see if there was a problem

Am I wrong in thinking painted metal wont rust?
YES
Old 08-31-2012, 04:46 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Ok, so painted undamaged metal will still rust? No air can get to the metal, the zinc coating from factory is still intact, interesting

To OC, to say its not your problem to remove the stuff if a new screen is needed is a little flippant, you must agree that to remove all the sealing there is more chance of paintwork getting damaged and therefor more chance of it needing repainting?

I just dont know what to do with mine! Sods law if I did it I would need a new srceen, and if I didnt do it the screen would last for another 10 years!
Old 08-31-2012, 06:09 AM
WingChun
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This screen surround rust issue is an ongoing PIA for me. I had the screen removed and the whole area treated and repainted May last year. The rust was getting quite bad but I was amazed to hear the body shop inform me that it looked like the screen had been out before for the same problem.
The work seemed fine initially, although I later found scratches on the wings where the screen fitter had been leaning over. The screen was undamaged during the whole process.
The car was then garaged for 6 months in October for other work and taken out late April and while washing it, I noticed some little paint bubbles in front of the screen rubber, the rust had returned!
I'm now faced with forking out again to get it redone, needless to say it won't be the same shop.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:05 PM
orangecurry
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 911PERVY
Ok, so painted undamaged metal will still rust? No air can get to the metal, the zinc coating from factory is still intact, interesting

To OC, to say its not your problem to remove the stuff if a new screen is needed is a little flippant, you must agree that to remove all the sealing there is more chance of paintwork getting damaged and therefor more chance of it needing repainting?

I just dont know what to do with mine! Sods law if I did it I would need a new srceen, and if I didnt do it the screen would last for another 10 years!
You don't have to remove all of the sealant to replace the screen. You have to remove the screen. If there is sealant left behind then that's a good key for when you put new sealant in for the new screen. It might even help the fitter
a) locate the screen properly
b) not scratch any metal.

Everybody wins.

Remember - it's Porsche telling you to fill this cavity with a sealant.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:07 PM
orangecurry
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by WingChun
This screen surround rust issue is an ongoing PIA for me. I had the screen removed and the whole area treated and repainted May last year. The rust was getting quite bad but I was amazed to hear the body shop inform me that it looked like the screen had been out before for the same problem.
The work seemed fine initially, although I later found scratches on the wings where the screen fitter had been leaning over. The screen was undamaged during the whole process.
The car was then garaged for 6 months in October for other work and taken out late April and while washing it, I noticed some little paint bubbles in front of the screen rubber, the rust had returned!
I'm now faced with forking out again to get it redone, needless to say it won't be the same shop.
Does the garage in question have the initials LA?

Quick Reply: Rust Prevention - around the windscreen.