Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moton setup help - what else to get?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 08:33 PM
early_grayce
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Moton setup help - what else to get?

I bought new Motons with the recent group buy, and trying to figure out what else to get to complete the suspension setup.

I've read plenty of the threads but I just can't get my head around all the parts and what could/should be upgraded. I currently have PSS9s.

Here what Stever Weiner recommended in a previous thread:

1) Moton double-adjustable shocks with a custom spring package. (Clubsport or Motorsport)

Done

2) ERP monoballs in the front A-arms and all of the rear suspension links.

I often read "monoballs everywhere" but can't figure out where everywhere is!
Part numbers? Which are most important?

3) ERP rear adjustable toe and rear kinematic links.

Are both important? If one had to choose which to get?

4) EVO front uprights

Part number? How important are these, relative to the other parts listed here?

5) EVO/ERP bump steer tie rods

6) Front & rear camberplates/monoballs

Most good camber plates include/are monoballs correct? e.g. "ERP Rear Upper Shock Mount - Monoball Set" and "ERP Front Camber Plates Set".... what about the Rennline cambe plates?

Any advice/clarification is much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Old 10-13-2010, 08:51 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Rob,

JMHO,.......

To your list:

2) Monoballs in the front A-arms (track-only), monoballs in the rear lower control arms, again, track-only.

3) ERP rear toe-links are a MUST as that controls (stabilizes) unwnted toe changes; the key to making the rear end feel "buttoned down". ERP kinematic links allow a great range of adjustment and thats important with a lowered car. Further, this allows one to "bump-steer" the rear suspension and thats one of the differences between an average or a really sharp handling 993.

4) EVO uprights & tie-rods MUST be installed together as thats the only way you correct the bump steer that occurs when these cars are at RS ride height (or less). Remember, Motons are shorter than OEM (or PSS-10) shocks and they must sit at a lower ride height.

6) Camberplates do include monoballs and need to be installed at all four corners when using Motons. This is due to the shorter shock shafts that aren't long enough to extend all the way through the OEM rubber mount. After all, those rubber mounts simply cause a loss of static camber in a corner and thats the main reason to get rid of them, anyway,......

Camberplate/monoballs all differ a little in design and the quality of the spherical bearings. This isn't the place to cut corners and use cheap ones as they will simply require more frequent replacement.

Hope this helps,

Naturally, I can provide whatever items you might need,...
Old 10-13-2010, 09:03 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 552 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by early_grayce
I bought new Motons with the recent group buy, and trying to figure out what else to get to complete the suspension setup.

I've read plenty of the threads but I just can't get my head around all the parts and what could/should be upgraded. I currently have PSS9s.

Here what Stever Weiner recommended in a previous thread:

1) Moton double-adjustable shocks with a custom spring package. (Clubsport or Motorsport)

Done

2) ERP monoballs in the front A-arms and all of the rear suspension links.

I often read "monoballs everywhere" but can't figure out where everywhere is!
Part numbers? Which are most important?

3) ERP rear adjustable toe and rear kinematic links.

Are both important? If one had to choose which to get?

4) EVO front uprights

5) EVO/ERP bump steer tie rods

6) Front & rear camberplates/monoballs

Most good camber plates include/are monoballs correct? e.g. "ERP Rear Upper Shock Mount - Monoball Set" and "ERP Front Camber Plates Set".... what about the Rennline cambe plates?

Any advice/clarification is much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
2)monoballs if it's a track only car, I'd use hard rubber if it's street driven at all. There are 4 bushes in the front and 8 in the rear, they should all be replaced as well as the rear side mounts(solid). You can also use RS arms if you need new ball joints too.

3)you can use ERP links which come w/ monoballs or RS KT links w/ a Tarret /Rennline toe link, both are important, do them both, don't do a piece here and a piece there. do it all w/ a track alignment as the last step

4 & 5) 993RS uprights aka EVO ,
993.341.157.81 Wheel carrier /L
993.341.158.81 Wheel carrier /R
993.347.031.81 Tie rod x2
999.053.041.03 front wheel bearing x2
993.606.405.00 abs wheel sensor x2

6) f/r(you need both ends) monoball/camber plates you can use ERP or Rennline
Old 10-13-2010, 10:57 PM
early_grayce
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the advice and info. I forgot to mention that this is a track-only car. Keeping it registered to make gas runs for now.

Looks like "all of the above" is recommended/advised, correct?

Steve, I'll definitely be in touch
Old 10-14-2010, 10:03 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the advice and info. I forgot to mention that this is a track-only car. Keeping it registered to make gas runs for now.

Looks like "all of the above" is recommended/advised, correct?

Steve, I'll definitely be in touch
That's the way I use mine too, you will be pleased by how it handles when you are done

Yes, Except that the ERP arms add an extra element of complexity. A particularly knowledgeable setup guy is mandatory, if you just replace the bushes w/ monoballs in your stock arms it's a whole world easier to set up.

The only arm that's worth buying is the rear toe links w/ locks, most of us use Tarret, Rennline just recently came out w/ a version and ERP are all good
Old 10-14-2010, 11:46 AM
early_grayce
Burning Brakes

Bill, sorry again I'm still fairly suspension-component naive.... but I don't need to replace the stock A-arm when I get the above-mentioned ERP links/bushings right?
Old 10-14-2010, 12:05 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
...The only arm that's worth buying is the rear toe links w/ locks, ...
I agree, but I'm surprised you said that considering all the suspension tinkering you've been doing.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:11 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bill, sorry again I'm still fairly suspension-component naive.... but I don't need to replace the stock A-arm when I get the above-mentioned ERP links/bushings right?
No, the only reason to get new arms is to get new ball joints on the outer ends, otherwise just replace the stock bushes w/ either monoballs or harder rubber versions.

if you buy ERP links they come w/ monoball inner ends but you can also just buy the replacement monoball inner ends for the stock arms
Old 10-14-2010, 12:15 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
I agree, but I'm surprised you said that considering all the suspension tinkering you've been doing.
I wanted all new components, so I bought RS arms and hardware. RS was no more expensive than stock and came w/ harder rubber bushes. It has all worked out very well and even though it's mostly a pure track car I don't see the need to go to monoballs except where they already are, shock tops and toe links. The setup I have now compares well w/ monoball equipped 993s that I have been in w/o the maintainance issues. Mono ***** are wear items

Quick Reply: Moton setup help - what else to get?