Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: How often do you change your oil?
3k miles
18.52%
5k miles
45.68%
7k miles
18.52%
3 months
0%
6 months
5.56%
9 months
11.73%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Oil change poll! How often?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 06:30 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ed Burdell
Looking at the sample Blackstone report, I take it we're primarily interested in the section labeled "Properties" when assessing how the oil is holding up?
Ed, this is the first report on this engine. The motor is just now fully broken in (16k) and I had changed out the break-in oil at 2k and then three more changes (~5k each.) It used oil at first but it's now all seated nice and tight and doesn't use anymore add oil. From now on I'll do longer OCIs, probably 7.5k+ depending on the next reports; AMG has excellent oversized (fleece) filters like the 993. p.s., the change I did with the break-in oil and the several changes before this report is probably why it had very little metals and silicon even though it's still a relatively new motor.

This one at 16k will be my "base" analysis for all future oil changes. The next change will compare these numbers to the new ones, and so forth. That's how you use an analysis to determine OCIs for your specific motor, oil, driving characteristics, and environment. The comparison over time allows you to properly assess the OCI periods.

I only posted the report pdf because Alex asked that somebody post one to see what they look like.

Alex: All they say about their testing is that it's based on ASTM methods. Spectral Exam: D5185; Flash Point: D92; Insolubles: D96; Viscosity: D445.

But if you contact them, I'm sure they'll give you the details. From what I understand they started out doing oil analysis for the aviation industry.

fwiw, Blackstone isn't the only lab around, but it's probably by far the most convenient to use.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:21 AM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Burdell
Looking at the sample Blackstone report, I take it we're primarily interested in the section labeled "Properties" when assessing how the oil is holding up?
The elements will tell you 2 other things (at least) including the amount of wear particles and wear additive levels. This includes bearing material (copper, lead, tin). Phosphorous and zinc are important wear additives. A drop in these levels could also signify that its time to change the oil. If you read some of Charles Navarro' articles (LN Engineering) he recommends minimum P and Zn levels of 1200ppm IIRC for the older flat tappet cams like ours. Some of these labs are very good at interpreting the analysis based on your application. I hope I haven't perpetuated another oil thread.

Oil analysis are useful for a couple of things 1) when to change your oil especially when the cost is high as with industrial equipment with lube systems having large volumes 2) determining the condition of the engine 3) predicting a failure or end of life
Old 10-12-2010, 09:46 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 682 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by matt777
Why? Are you auditing them? What do you expect for $25?
Having spent 15 years in an electrical standards lab (microwave), we tend to question measurements...and so should anybody. Just as you should question HP gains from a chip company or any other claim such as battery charger claims . But I do understand that it is uncool to question anything these days...as in how dare you.

For $25 I expect accurate results considering the thousands of reports they pump out in a year. If it isn't accurate, it is of no use...sort of like a $25 torque wrench.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:50 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Phosphorous and zinc are important wear additives.
ZnDPP is talked about a lot but not one single article I have read tells me what quantity is necessary in oil. How many ppm do we need to prevent wear?

Furthermore, I think I read that it is used as the final line of defense when the oil film has broken down.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:00 PM
matt777
Drifting

Originally Posted by IXLR8
ZnDPP is talked about a lot but not one single article I have read tells me what quantity is necessary in oil. How many ppm do we need to prevent wear?

Furthermore, I think I read that it is used as the final line of defense when the oil film has broken down.
This is the only reference I have come across although the oil manufacturer's that state that their oils are good for older flat tappet cam engines have Zn and P levels in the same ballpark (at least the ones I looked at). Charles Navarro is regarded as being an expert on this subject and has done some testing. Sometimes you just have to go with the best info that you've got even when you'd like more. I don't know what the additive levels are in Porsche recommended oils but I would be surprised if they were much lower.

http://www.lnengineering.com/oil.html
Old 10-12-2010, 10:07 PM
matt777
Drifting

Having spent 15 years in an electrical standards lab (microwave), we tend to question measurements...
You can see if they are ISO certified if you like. They say they follow ASTM methods. If they are out 2% is it really going to change your decision? LOL What is your other method for making this decision if you don't trust them? Like I said above (sort of), sometimes you just have to go with the best data available otherwise you won't make any decision at all which could be worse yet. You seem to be a very analytical guy and question everything so I'm just poking you. I hope I can take it too Alex.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:16 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

If they are out 2% is it really going to change your decision?
2%...I and everyone should be happy to get that...trust me. A measurement without an uncertainty means very little.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:20 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Charles Navarro is regarded as being an expert on this subject and has done some testing.
Who is Charles, what is his background relative to lubricants testing and what tests have been done? Lubricants testing (long term, real world) is very time intensive and costly.

BTW, I've come across that article before. I have to read it again.

From that article:
Many Porsche repair shops have acknowledged that these newest SM and CJ-4 motor oils are not sufficient for protecting any Porsche engine, including newer water-cooled ones.
So what is Porsche Stuttgart filling the new Porsches with?
Old 10-12-2010, 11:11 PM
matt777
Drifting

Who is Charles, what is his background relative to lubricants testing and what tests have been done? Lubricants testing (long term, real world) is very time intensive and costly.

BTW, I've come across that article before. I have to read it again.

From that article:

So what is Porsche Stuttgart filling the new Porsches with?
You'll have to do your own research here.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:27 AM
TargaMatt
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yearly, before winter hibernation, which corresponds to 3-4K miles. Which means it's almost time to do it...
Old 10-13-2010, 07:45 PM
matt777
Drifting

Originally Posted by TargaMatt
Yearly, before winter hibernation, which corresponds to 3-4K miles. Which means it's almost time to do it...
C'mon Matt. I need at least 3 more weeks!
Old 10-13-2010, 08:19 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 142 Posts

Last interval......
3/20/09 - 6/18/10 4709 miles.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:33 PM
zone5
Burning Brakes

I used to do it once a year, then Porsche changed its recommendation to every two years around 2004 so now I do it every two years, which is about every 5000 miles.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:33 PM
TargaMatt
Instructor

C'mon Matt. I need at least 3 more weeks!
I think we are definitely going to get a better run out of it this year than last, for sure!! I'm thinking about doing the oil change myself . . . this month is so busy for me, I just don't have a chance to run the car up to Eurasia in time. Will be a new undertaking for me, will see how that goes!
Old 10-14-2010, 01:43 AM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once a year, right before winter. Works out to about 3k between changes.

Quick Reply: Oil change poll! How often?