Old 10-04-2010 | 11:15 PM
VMXWinn
Rennlist Member

Default Top Gear just tested the new Sport Classic 911

James May just reported on the new Sport Classic and Boxster Spider
Old 10-05-2010 | 10:25 AM
Fly911
Rennlist Member

I watched last night's Top Gear, and was very dissapointed. Jeremy Clarkson and his two co-drivers are nothing but silly clowns, doing stupid (and dangerous!) things with some stupid cars (some 20 year old M3, 190C 2.3-16 and a Sierra Cossworth).
Their comments on the Sport Classic clearly showed that they had no understanding what this car is about (a car that will go straight to collectors garages), and that they couldn't test it because it was no longer for sale. The Spyder did however get a semi serious test with the Stig, and a demo of the hopeless "umbrella" convertible top, but for a Porsche enthusiast like myself, the whole program seemed just stupid.
Old 10-05-2010 | 10:31 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fly911
I watched last night's Top Gear, and was very dissapointed. Jeremy Clarkson and his two co-drivers are nothing but silly clowns, doing stupid (and dangerous!) things with some stupid cars (some 20 year old M3, 190C 2.3-16 and a Sierra Cossworth).
Their comments on the Sport Classic clearly showed that they had no understanding what this car is about (a car that will go straight to collectors garages), and that they couldn't test it because it was no longer for sale. The Spyder did however get a semi serious test with the Stig, and a demo of the hopeless "umbrella" convertible top, but for a Porsche enthusiast like myself, the whole program seemed just stupid.
Relax, it's entertainment. The reason they have 350,000,000 viewers worldwide is that it's not aimed at a "Porsche enthusiast" like yourself;-)
Old 10-06-2010 | 12:03 AM
VMXWinn
Rennlist Member

Yes it just entertainment. I find it quit funny at times. They do poke fun at certian aspects of the motoring world but I don't take to seriously
Old 10-06-2010 | 12:11 AM
matt777
Drifting

I love the show but I think its gone a little astray lately
Old 10-06-2010 | 12:43 PM
GaryB
Instructor

It would be great fun if the US version ever gets off the ground. This gives the details: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gear_(U.S._TV_series). Though others have since claimed it won't happen.
There is trailer that's on the web: http://jalopnik.com/5606884/top-gear...-first-trailer
Old 10-06-2010 | 01:43 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GaryB
It would be great fun if the US version ever gets off the ground. This gives the details: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gear_(U.S._TV_series). Though others have since claimed it won't happen.
There is trailer that's on the web: http://jalopnik.com/5606884/top-gear...-first-trailer
Unfortunately, the US version of any UK show, and there have been plenty, usually needs to be dumbed down so that the average US viewer can "get it".

That's one of the joys of Top Gear; it hasn't been sullied by the "American touch". I think any Top Gear US redux would fail here; those UK lads would be a tough act to follow.
Old 10-06-2010 | 01:59 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

It's Monty Python for gear heads. I find it hilarious...even when Jeremy pokes fun of the Porsche. We all love Porsche for the same reasons he hates them.

But James May and Hammond are both Porsche guys. I think James has a nice Guards Red 964 and Hammond has a 997 (or he used to).
Old 10-06-2010 | 03:37 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Originally Posted by cannon1000
It's Monty Python for gear heads. I find it hilarious...even when Jeremy pokes fun of the Porsche. We all love Porsche for the same reasons he hates them.

But James May and Hammond are both Porsche guys. I think James has a nice Guards Red 964 and Hammond has a 997 (or he used to).
I'll take it a step further: it's more like Benny Hill with cars in it. It's so non-technical that my wife will watch. In other words, calm down. No enthusiasts take them seriously, which is allows it to be so silly and fun!

And yes, no need for a stoopid American version. I mean, what's the point? They still come here at times. I love the one where they each had to buy a $2,000 car and go "race" it.
Old 10-06-2010 | 03:47 PM
SMehder
Instructor

I believe this season is the UK version. It last for an hour and 40 minutes, and is current. In the past it has been 3 or 4 years behind. The opening episode this year made reference to the Gulf oil spill. Also I have to agree with another poster. They filmed an episode in Virginia at VIR and they were a bunch of drama queens, according to a local observer. Also it looks like they pretty well trashed the Porsche that was being driven in that there was some under the car damage.

MB, Ferrari, and Porsche provided cars for the filming and after the filming one day, they just took off and none of the manufacturers knew where they had gone. Apparently, they just wandered off with about $500,000 + of cars.
Old 10-06-2010 | 04:48 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dcdude
I'll take it a step further: it's more like Benny Hill with cars in it. It's so non-technical that my wife will watch. In other words, calm down. No enthusiasts take them seriously, which is allows it to be so silly and fun!

And yes, no need for a stoopid American version. I mean, what's the point? They still come here at times. I love the one where they each had to buy a $2,000 car and go "race" it.
+1. It's pure entertainment. An American version wouldn't be a "version" at all, but something different entirely (and not anywhere as successful.)

The cars are simply a vehicle (no pun intended) for the dynamic of the show. It could be arranged around something instead of cars and still be worth watching. (ps, James May's "Toy Stories" was also fun to watch.)

Old 10-07-2010 | 12:54 PM
Stuttgart951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Fly911
Give it a second shot. As stated, it's entertainment... and damned good entertainment.

Clarkson is the resident "It's just a Volkswagon" type and the short one with the pretty hair actually owns an SC.
Old 10-07-2010 | 01:27 PM
mavthenav
Racer

If you guys are watching BBC America version of Top Gear, you need to know that they are cutting a bunch of the stuff out. If you notice this season they started to advertise , "UN-CUT" and in their "ORIGINAL UK" episodes. If you watch the episodes from the link below and compare it to what is shown on BBC America you'll see the edits especially the funny rants and raves are removed.

We don't wait for BBC america,go to http://www.finalgear.com
to download the episodes before they air on BBC america. They are posted there as soon as the show is over in the UK.

On the US Version : History channel has started to show it as their Fall Lineup so apparently it's coming.
Old 10-07-2010 | 08:28 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Anyone seen their magazines on news stands yet? I bought one...lots of stuff from other test drivers there.
Old 10-07-2010 | 11:14 PM
berni29
Pro

Hi

My daughter and wife both watch Top Gear. The stuff they do is often completely silly, but the fact that it is often dangerous as well and the presenters are often truly uncomfortable makes it great.

Berni

Quick Reply: Top Gear just tested the new Sport Classic 911