Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

How to disconnect seat's electrical connectors?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 03:19 AM
TxnBluDvl
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default How to disconnect seat's electrical connectors?

Hi,

I'm in the process of installing some seats that I purchased off of fellow RL'er Kiesan. I've had great luck so far in removing all of the hex bolts using RL'ers advice on the subject -- not a single stripped screw though the PO or their mechanic's did round off at least 3 to within an inch of their life.

An echo'ed word to fellow RL'ers: use a hex bit socket and make sure it's well seated. I used a rubber mallet to wack my socket wrench to ensure it seated properly. And used the rubber mallet to also wack the handle to break them loose. Worked really well, esp for the passenger side, which apparently has never been undone since the factory installed it.

Now, onto the question:

I've managed to disconnect the two pin connector (with the plastic key) but I can't seem to figure out how to unplug the connector that sits on the metal plate. Intuition says it should slide off and then I can somehow finangle it lose. But, I can't seem to get it off the plate. Bonehead experience has taught me that it's best to stop when you start manhandling things...so off to RL I go.

Help?
Old 10-03-2010, 04:20 AM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

They disconnect upward; as there are multiple pins you may need to work each end a bit at a time.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:55 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

eh, loosen (the plate is slotted) the two phillips screws on the metal plate and pull it loose so that you can see what you're doing.

then just wiggle it apart.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:16 PM
TxnBluDvl
Rennlist Member

Thanks, guys. Worked like a charm. Just requires some patience and knowing it pulls upward. Followed quadcammer's advice and unscrewed the plate and slid it out. Made it much easier...

Now, to leatherique the seats and drop in the new heated ones -- just in time for the winter...
Old 10-04-2010, 07:51 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just changed seats, too. On the first one I unscrewed the connecter, but on the second I just wiggled and pulled the plug apart.

No stripped screws for me either, and I just used a good shortened Allen wrench.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:07 PM
TxnBluDvl
Rennlist Member

My seats are waiting in the living room until I get a new set of bolts. I went with the ones that Andreas used from McMaster:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#92855a719/=94ugou

I picked up a set from Lowe's as well but it looks like the socket hex caps are a bit tall.

It looks like they'll need to be torqued down to 17 ft lbs, per pcarworkshop's torque page:

http://pcarworkshop.com/index.php/99...Specifications
Old 10-04-2010, 09:22 PM
kiesan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're going to love those seats man! Here they are still in the car when it was headed north in a snow storm...

Quick Reply: How to disconnect seat's electrical connectors?