Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Spark Plug Wires on Amazon

Old 04-14-2011, 09:01 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkD
and how will you know which resistor failed?
So you would need to test each. fun!
Actually, it was. For those not familiar with simple ohms measurements, they took less than 10 seconds each.

All connectors including those on the coils tested in-spec (see table). On top of that, all 16-year-old connectors, once wiped down and cleaned up, looked like they just came off the Porsche parts shelf. All of the actual electrical connections were found to be in as-new condition (zero corrosion) due to the very good fit between the connector and spark plug and the connector and ignition wire. Beru certainly uses top quality items.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:31 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that was my weak attempt at sarcastic humor Alex.
you know... Humor, right?

So, back to the dead horse: You are reusing reisistors that will fail at some point. When? Only time will tell.
How will you know?
You likely won't notice the slight drop in performance. The dual plug design will mask it well.

I am sure you have planned on regular resistance testing of the wires.
No doubt.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:01 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

So, back to the dead horse: You are reusing reisistors that will fail at some point. When? Only time will tell.
Mark, everything fails. As for beating a dead horse, I am passing / sharing information and that is what forums should be about. I am not in the business of selling wire sets, so I have no agenda.

But I do have one set of Beru cables for sale from the remainder of the spool; I believe it is spoken for though.

You likely won't notice the slight drop in performance. The dual plug design will mask it well.
I am sure it will, just as it will on a new set that just had a cap fail by chance.

Would you replace a complete wire set after one year if one spark plug connector failed? I'd just replace the failed part and not hose the customer.

I am sure you have planned on regular resistance testing of the wires.
Not really, just as nobody would. What is Porsche's recommended maintenance interval for testing these plug caps?
Old 04-14-2011, 11:14 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Mark, everything fails. As for beating a dead horse, I am passing / sharing information and that is what forums should be about. I am not in the business of selling wire sets, so I have no agenda.

But I do have one set of Beru cables for sale from the remainder of the spool; I believe it is spoken for though.

I am sure it will, just as it will on a new set that just had a cap fail by chance.

Would you replace a complete wire set after one year if one spark plug connector failed? I'd just replace the failed part and not hose the customer.

Not really, just as nobody would. What is Porsche's recommended maintenance interval for testing these plug caps?
Alex, I was referring to myself with the "beating a dead horse" comment, not you.
The technical info you are providing is great! I'm glad you have the time and interest in pursuing this level of detail.

Here are my last couple of whacks at the poor, deceased equine:

Everything fails, yes. Preventative maintenance is the point.

I would not need to replace a solo resistor... because I wouldn't let it get to that point. As for "hosing a customer", it would be doing a customer a disservice if you didn't inform them of the likelihood of future failures, leading to additional labor cost every time.

These wire sets (including resistors) can go usually about 90K miles, sometimes less, sometimes more. VC leaks can shorten the life.

Ciao!
Old 04-14-2011, 11:36 AM
nate717
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When the time comes, I'll be ordering my Beru wires from FD Motorsport - they can't be beat!

Nathan Miller
Old 04-14-2011, 12:50 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

As for "hosing a customer", it would be doing a customer a disservice if you didn't inform them of the likelihood of future failures, leading to additional labor cost every time.
Even if the cable set were relatively new, as in a year old as I mentioned in my post? Sorry, but replacing the single connector would be the right thing to do considering the labor cost itself of installing another cable set.

Mark, lets leave it at that. You are on this forum as a vendor so I can see where you are coming from. The more time I spend here, it has become apparent that this forum is vunue for sales. I like to be on forums hoping that there are techies that love tech stuff and are willing to exchange and provide information, not hoard it.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:31 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Mark, lets leave it at that. You are on this forum as a vendor so I can see where you are coming from. The more time I spend here, it has become apparent that this forum is vunue for sales. I like to be on forums hoping that there are techies that love tech stuff and are willing to exchange and provide information, not hoard it.
If you think any of my statements or advice have anything to do with being a "vendor" then you definitely do not see where I am coming from.

Based on this and other threads I gather you have had some poor experiences with shops or suppliers. Please don't let that taint ALL businesses. Not everyone is out to take your money and rip you off.

Finally, I have rarely seen anyone "hoard info" here. Just the opposite.. as far back as I can remember.
We can agree to disagree.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:46 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 503 Likes on 186 Posts

Here's my non-vendor opinion: I would never buy just the wires. Not only is it a very tedious job, but in my ownership experience with 3 964/993 cars, the plugs are the ones that fail, not the wires. Getting the wires and reusing the plugs is a complete waste of time and money. You think you may be saving a couple hundred bucks, but you're just inviting trouble and headaches. And while some people seem to like that, may this be a warning to the rest.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:10 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ilko
Here's my non-vendor opinion: I would never buy just the wires. Not only is it a very tedious job.
Ilko, having done this, making up the wires is 1% of the work and the installation is the other 99% of it.

Originally Posted by ilko
in my ownership experience with 3 964/993 cars, the plugs are the ones that fail, not the wires.
In my case, the original OEM wires were showing cracks. While not a failure thanks to using OEM valve covers that cannot short ignition wires to ground, I like many here, like to maintain my car in tip top condition, even if that means early replacement.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:14 PM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 146 Posts

Alex,

Did you document your work so the rest of us could see your process and make the determination if we want to buy the complete harness or approach build it?

Thanks.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:23 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I have no dog in this fight, so hesitated to jump in, but feel compelled to. Just my opinion, not a flame or fuel to the fire.

not hose the customer
I've dealt with FD. First of all, yes, they are a vendor. But they remind everyone of that not in a "buy from me" tone, but a "full disclosure on my opinion" tone. In fact, they've told me before to buy from somewhere else and even told me where if they can't beat the price. Yes, Mark gave the price of his product here, but even that was so you could compare build vs. buy. Was doing some work on a wire worth $430-285=$145 of your time? If you enjoy it, of course not. Great! If you don't enjoy it or can't do it in an hour or so, then perhaps not. Great! Now you know!

making up the wires is 1% of the work
YMMV here as well. MANY times on Rennlist I've believed the "it will only take this long" story which was always true with someone having better experience, skills, tools or facilities. Sometimes it was also true for me. Often it was not the case though. I think the other side of the story IS what Rennlist is about too.

I welcome learning potentially how easy it is to DIY these wires from you. I also welcome how easy it is to buy them (or anyone else), and perhaps avoid making a $285 mistake if I thought I was getting the same as the $430 version, from Mark or whomever has a more valid experience/opinion ratio than I do. In my opinion FD is honoring Rennlist and should not be nipped at as a vendor with an agenda. I personally ALWAYS welcome the FD POV.

Carry on.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:39 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skl2
Alex,

Did you document your work so the rest of us could see your process and make the determination if we want to buy the complete harness or approach build it?

Thanks.
Yes I have.

I posted all the cable data and cable holder location diagrams on my site.

Beru Ignition Cables

I did not post a how-to-install simply because if you cannot do that, it is pointless whether it is a store bought ignition cable set or a DIY replacement cable set.

I have a few people interested via PMs. Replies only to those who have their PM feature enabled.

And let me confirm, the actual installation is 99% of the work. Who the hell thought to place those two center cable holders behind the alternator.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:48 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for that chart, good stuff.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:24 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Who the hell thought to place those two center cable holders behind the alternator.
By loosening the intake and raising it up you can get to those screws a little easier. Also using a Chapman Tool will make it a little less painful.
Oh wait, did I just divulge some secret technical info I've been hoarding...
Attached Images   
Old 04-14-2011, 05:01 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FisterD
By loosening the intake and raising it up you can get to those screws a little easier.
I almost wanted to take that shortcut and it was tempting, but I removed it all instead to clean things up and to perform an inspection of wiring, fuel lines, etc.

Imagine if I had to pay for that.

Also using a Chapman Tool will make it a little less painful.
Got a few of those, but in the end, didn't need them.

Oh wait, did I just divulge some secret technical info.
Hardly. Working on aircraft, this wrencher didn't let a poor schmuck of a pilot do that...took it up for them to make sure things were right.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spark Plug Wires on Amazon