NY emissions Q

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 11:52 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default NY emissions Q

So...a little confused. Had my car in for some other stuff and asked for the state inspection. It had pass CA inspection 2 years ago and NY inspection last year (at least I think so), but was told it failed this time. Further I was told most of the 993s fail on the emissions portion, but they hadn't dyno'ed it yet.

Does that even make any sense?
Old 09-26-2010, 08:19 AM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 202 Posts

NYS doesn't do a tailpipe test for annual inspection...it's simply a OBD ll check-no codes, and your good to go.

I just had my 97 C4S done in early June by a former Pcar dealer mechanic, now Indy.

Are you in NYC? Do they have additional requirements greater than the rest of the state?
Old 09-26-2010, 12:29 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 578 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
NYS doesn't do a tailpipe test for annual inspection...it's simply a OBD ll check-no codes, and your good to go.

I just had my 97 C4S done in early June by a former Pcar dealer mechanic, now Indy.

Are you in NYC? Do they have additional requirements greater than the rest of the state?
Different areas of the state have different rules, upstate, '96 up gets hooked up to the DMV computer, any code is cause for failure and you get a 1 yr reprieve, eventually it will completely fail(no more byes for you sir)

In the NYC environs they have stricter rules

'95 and earlier are desirable for this reason, they only get the usual safety checks
Old 09-26-2010, 05:30 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It might have 'failed' because the technician couldn't get the OBD-ii code reader to 'talk' to the car. This is common as most technicians FORGET to 'blip' the keyfob so that the alarm/immobilizer is OFF during the time that they are actually doing the test.

Gerry
(Long Island)
Old 09-27-2010, 10:41 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

95, so ODB I. I haven't actually witnessed the NYC checks. In Cali it was a dyno.

The mechanic said they didn't dyno before it failed...so I guess it must have just thrown a code of some sort?
Old 09-27-2010, 11:22 AM
Fred, Long Island
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Long Island and I believe metro NY call for emissions test. '95 gets the dyno as its OBD I. '96 and later OBDII get scoped.
There may be regional considerations that affect the rest of the state.
Never had a problem with my '95, numbers are well below limits.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:53 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 564 Likes on 201 Posts

Last time I took my C4S for an inspection was about a year ago. Failed for readiness codes. Haven't bothered to go back with it. I just took my Audi in and then put the sticker on the Porsche.

Quick Reply: NY emissions Q