Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

FS: 1996 C4S w) 19K original miles. 100% original

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 10:46 AM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 266 Likes on 197 Posts

IMHO, the car is overpriced...having said that, there are many dealers nationwide-we all can name a few-that make a good living selling examples just like this one for that much money, or damn close to it.

Good luck to the seller, as has been stated here before...there are precious few examples of these cars with that low of mileage left.

Not my cup of tea, but somebody somewhere. The seller will just have to be patient at that price.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:50 AM
Jackson911
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vjd3
I don't understand why people here bash other people's asking prices. This car -- and any car -- is worth whatever two consenting adults agree it's worth. One of those consenting adults is the owner. Therefore, the car is worth that number ... at least to him. If he holds onto it, there's nothing wrong with that. The market determines whether or not it will sell.

This looks like a very nice example, and for someone who wants this exact car with these exact options and in this exact condition, it may be worth every cent. Anyone who has owned a number of these cars learns that it's usually a regrettable move to walk away from the "right" car over a few thousand dollars, and settle for something less than exactly what you wanted.
Vic, I couldn't agree more! It may take some additional time, but there will be a match.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:52 AM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackson911
Vic, I couldn't agree more! It may take some additional time, but there will be a match.
I also agree.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:27 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice car and Im no pricing expert but there are quite a few similar 96 C4S's on the market today for a less. On the other hand, patience and finding the right buyer is key. Price isnt everything to everyone.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:35 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Personally, I agree with all the comments expressed. There is always a buyer out there but I think a few of you are missing the point of my original comment to OP.

Mark Harris' friend is a motivated seller (but not desperate). See the original post. Sound a little like he would really like to sell it but it will not be a firesale.

There are two ends of the continuum that express the pricing strategy of a seller.

The top end.

The high price, not really motivated to sell. Let me showcase my beautiful car and if a find a buyer who is looking for a pristine example and pay top dollar, I will sell it. If not, I will just keep it as I am not motivated. A bit Sloan or Willhoit strategy.

The other end is

I am highly motivated and need to sell. I really want out of this car and I will accept all reasonable offers at prices that cars are selling (not advertised).

Every seller falls somewhere on this continuum line. If we want to play consultant, we can draw up a 2x2 chart with veritical axis being time it takes to sell and horizontal axis being pricing.

There is a strategy for every data point on a selling continuum line. So, if Mark H's friend is motivated but not desperate, he can choose what works for him. I think most of you would understand that dropping a price by $1K on a $55K asking price for a 1996 C4S is not going to change the market attractiveness. I would just keep it at $55K and someone might step up and buy it. If motivated means "I really want to sell it", rethink the strategy.

If it was my friend, I would offer my unsolicited advice and say to reprice or pull it off the market until April when the market might support the pricing.

I wish the seller good luck in selling it.

I knew this post was going to create some excitement which we all need on Rennlist once in a while. If this was Mark H's car, I would have not commented.

Enjoy the Sunday. I just went out for my Sunday drive and continue to love my Porsche.

Mark S.

Last edited by mjsporsche; 11-07-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:57 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,628 Likes on 2,313 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
I didn't realize that the split grill wasn't present on a 96 S ... I assumed all S models had the split rear grill ...
split grills are only on carerra S.
fat butt RWD
Old 11-07-2010, 09:04 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,628 Likes on 2,313 Posts

i agree with mjs and i also see the pt of the seller.
this car is on the high end of price continuum, but not grossly so.
some of you may think it will not sell, i have had 2 993's so probably wont buy another. but if i were in the mkt, this car would be a target. look at that engine compartment. not many cars are that clean. some dont care, but that's worth quite a bit of money in my eyes b/c the owner really cares it. it's these small details one cannot hide. oil change, mods blah blah, easy to do. but details details. are the door hinges waxed and polished, how hard does the motor pull etc.

i used to think RPM's prices are too high. then a friend and i visited ray in TX. when you see his inventory, it's like.... if i got the money, this is what i NEED to buy. they are that clean.

it's hard to find very nice 993's now days. those who want pristine cars, 50k or so is not bad!

hopefully this car comes to RL family and continue to be loved.

Quick Reply: FS: 1996 C4S w) 19K original miles. 100% original