993 Forum 1995-1998

Terrible accident this morning in DC ... A Porsche is down

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 03:55 PM
Denise993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Terrible accident this morning in DC ... A Porsche is down

It took me 1 hour and 15 minutes this morning to go 3 miles... I was stuck on rt. 66 before the Roosevelt bridge due to a terrible accident. When I made it past, I saw the back end of a silver Porsche completely trashed... almost looked like back end was ripped off (I'm guessing it was a 997? It was hard to tell and I didn't want to rubber neck) ... There were about 5 cars in all.

I was driving my Porsche too ... and now my left leg has "clutch-itis"

So after seeing a terrible accident with injuries, some d-bag in a VW was cutting off people, weaving, almost rear ended me when I slowed down to drop down on a patch of road that was cut out ... I was in the Porsche and I didn't want to tear up the front end ... he was honking ... it was unbeliveable ...

One commenter on Washington Post said:
"I saw it happen. Traffic was only moving 10 mph, but the driver of the Mercedes who caused the accident had some kind of medical emergency and floored it, rear ending the Porche in front of him. It was pretty freaky."

I'm hoping for an uneventful ride home in a few hours!
Old 09-24-2010, 04:07 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 214 Posts

wow - good thing I came through the city this morning. Did u see remnants of a big wing? There's a lady rennlister with a sillver 996 tt that I see often around these parts, hope it wasn't her. Hope no one was seriously injured.

Those medical conditions are freaky. My uncle went into a diabetic coma a couple months ago, crossed the mainline into uncoming traffic, hit a couple people and never knew what transpired. No one was seriously hurt..thankfully..
Old 09-24-2010, 04:39 PM
Roche993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was in that mess, too. So sorry for those involved. When are they going to fix that nasty patch of road just off the bridge? That is one of my favorite corners -without traffic, of course.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:53 PM
Denise993
Pro

[QUOTE=TRINITONY;7922312]wow - good thing I came through the city this morning. Did u see remnants of a big wing? There's a lady rennlister with a sillver 996 tt that I see often around these parts, hope it wasn't her. Hope no one was seriously injured.
QUOTE]
Yes you are lucky!

No... I didn't see a wing .. I was on 66 by the Rosslyn exit when at least 4 ambulances, 3 or so fire trucks and numerous police and emergency vehicles came past us on the shoulder. It seems like folks got hurt, but I hope not too bad. The passenger cabin of the Porsche looked fine. Some of the other cars had damage to the sides and front. Lots of cars were spun around ... it was ugly.

There are about 4 lanes there and 3 of them were closed.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:57 PM
Denise993
Pro

Originally Posted by Roche993
I was in that mess, too. So sorry for those involved. When are they going to fix that nasty patch of road just off the bridge? That is one of my favorite corners -without traffic, of course.
I don't know ... It's been like that for a while now ... my car is just too low to go over it at speed. I worry about getting rear ended by morons who don't pay attention to the cars in front of them who need to almost stop there. The guy this morning was just being an ***. He tore off around me in the E-street tunnel and was weaving through everyone up 18th Street ... ran a redlight at G St ... Where is a cop when you need one?
Old 09-24-2010, 07:14 PM
LvnTheDrm
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's something to consider: when I slow down for poor road conditions, or if I see some slowed activity, I immediately turn on my Hazards...sends a signal to those behind me that something's up. Seems to work--though, I can't promise a-holes won't still honk and gesture!
Old 09-24-2010, 10:59 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Denise993
I don't know ... It's been like that for a while now ... my car is just too low to go over it at speed. I worry about getting rear ended by morons who don't pay attention to the cars in front of them who need to almost stop there. The guy this morning was just being an ***. He tore off around me in the E-street tunnel and was weaving through everyone up 18th Street ... ran a redlight at G St ... Where is a cop when you need one?
^ I come thru that tunnel most days and the merging to the E street tunnel can get a lil hairy at times, especially when driving a pcar. For some reason other drivers don't like pcars merging.

BTW, I've seen a few women in the last couple of months driving dark colored 993 converts in that area.

Get a loud muffler, they will pay attention to you in traffic. That's what I've noticed the last couple times driving in traffic with supercups.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:26 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sometimes I wonder about the safety of these cars. I normally don't think about it but when some yahoo pulls in front of me, or runs a red light, etc., I start to wonder.

Porsches are exempt from safety testing so we have no info there. I'm sure Porsche kept data on accidents and damage when the 993 was on the market. But we'll never see those details. Maybe they wrecked a few internally for their own data, but probably not (esp the 993s and during that era.)
Old 09-25-2010, 07:49 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 497 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Canyon56
Sometimes I wonder about the safety of these cars. I normally don't think about it but when some yahoo pulls in front of me, or runs a red light, etc., I start to wonder.

Porsches are exempt from safety testing so we have no info there. I'm sure Porsche kept data on accidents and damage when the 993 was on the market. But we'll never see those details. Maybe they wrecked a few internally for their own data, but probably not (esp the 993s and during that era.)
I think they are fairly stout. I have seen many a 911 on the track survive a nasty roll, and the driver walked away unscathed, despite the lack of a roll bar.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:22 PM
rsr91128
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe they wrecked a few internally for their own data, but probably not (esp the 993s and during that era.)
Old 09-25-2010, 08:34 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,012 Likes on 450 Posts

Porsches are exempt from safety testing
??????????
Old 09-25-2010, 08:36 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
??????????
+1
Old 09-25-2010, 09:51 PM
johnsjmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How can Porsche be exempt from crash safety legislation? That seems like nonsense. They all are labelled with a prominent sticker inside the door saying built to comply with" Dept of Transportation standards in effect on date of" ..... .they also have all the stuff like seatbelts,airbags,crumple zones ,side door beams,and US standards for lighting ,bumpers and bumper height. I feel very safe in mine. plus I have a chance to avoid an accident with active features like strong brakes,ABS and excellent handling.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:14 PM
mdeleeuw
Intermediate

Default Nobody's Exempt from Safety Standards

...Not Porsche, not any automaker (kit makers excluded) who markets a car for sale in NA. All cars must pass DOT regulations for crash safety.

Porsche is a small maker by volume standards, but is fully committed to meeting applicable safety standards worldwide.

I remember one thing that particularly impressed me when I bought my '99 Boxster, was that the car met the existing roof crush standard - even though it didn't have a roof!

Mike
Old 09-25-2010, 10:27 PM
Marco8
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe all exotics and low volume vehicles are not government tested. Likely because the govt doesn't have the time and resources to do testing for such an insiginificant percentage of auto sales. Doesn't mean that Porsche wouldn't exceed all safety requirements...just not tested by the govt.

Quick Reply: Terrible accident this morning in DC ... A Porsche is down