993 Forum 1995-1998

Terrible accident this morning in DC ... A Porsche is down

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 03:16 AM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Who do you think did this test on the Boxster? Porsche, the NHTSA or some other governing body?
Who really knows? It's an advertisement. But at the beginning there's appears to be a watermark of some sort that says NCAP. It could be an internal test done at Euro NCAP facilities, or using their equipment, or it could be anything. It's on YouTube. It's interesting in the comments that somebody says "why can't I find any crash tests on the 911?"

And why can't we? That's what I'd like to know. There's gotta be some sort of data somewhere. It would just be nice to be able to see it instead of only having Porsche ads trying to convince me, that's all.

btw, I realize all cars imported here need to be certified to certain standards. But there are cars sold here that I wouldn't drive due to their really poor public safety tests.

e.g., I wouldn't want to get t-boned in the 2010 VW Beetle. But it's still allowed to be exported here..... and I'm sure VAG does a lot of crash tests. Will they show me their data? No. So I have to depend on other agencies. If VAG wants to show me their data and prove that the car doesn't deserve a poor rating, then maybe I'd be more positive about buying a Beetle. http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=246

p.s., a good thing that these outside agency tests do is make manufacturers work even harder at safety. No body wants publicized bad ratings. Look at Kia or Hyundai, terrible tests results in the early days but now they've improved dramatically.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:35 AM
diet97993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cayon 56,
Unfortunately, thats what it takes to get a company to respond. Nobody wants a bad reputation. But they are somtime willing to cut corners to maximize profits and dividends. The bad news is corporate Lawers still speak louder than public safety issues.

Cheers!
Old 09-27-2010, 11:15 PM
rsr91128
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Who do you think did this test on the Boxster? Porsche, the NHTSA or some other governing body?
According to NHTSA records it was a private firm called MGA Research

If you search enough you will find this report (Warning it is a large file and is not worth clicking on for the limited amount of info but if you really want to here it is): http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/databas...og_by_mmy.aspx

Quick Reply: Terrible accident this morning in DC ... A Porsche is down