Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This thread gave me a nervous tick.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 03:36 PM
Spidey 993

Everyone, Everyone!! IXLR8 just said something that contradicts the norm! Run Alex, Run for your life!

I appreciate you taking the torch from me since I have to go to work. And be sure to know that if you can prove you're not a dick, others will be there to help you along the way.

Sorry, I couldn't resist the irony. Thanks Alex, I will buy a car eventually and will look for your advice.
Love the yellow BTW.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:47 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
...I think sellers should get a PPI done by a reputable shop so as to provide long distance buyers with the facts. ...
But practically no seller ever does this, for a good reason: it's a complete waste of money! Any buyer who's not a complete moron will want another PPI done, at buyer's expense of course. No halfway-intelligent buyer would ever trust the PPI where you paid they money and you chose the shop. Duh.

MANY of us know instances where reputable shops issue perfect PPI's for cars that are POS's. That happens because either the seller handed over the $$$ or the seller had spent a lot of money at that shop. It's not rocket science folks.

I don't know why some of you guys are bothering with this troll.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:03 PM
Bouzoukikid
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Avid Fan
Thanks for the education. You figure after having purchased seven aircooled 911s and numerous used BWMs and MBs in the past few years, and having had very few issues if at all with any of my purchases, I would know a thing or two. Next time I'll try a heavy dose of cynicism and see how far that gets me since it's clearly working wonders for you.

Two predictions:
a) you won't be around here for much longer
b) your next car is from Victory

Best of luck.

@ tjff993
Avid tried to give you advice and you p*ssed him off.
You seem to enjoy confrontation.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:14 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by tjeff993
Bought and sold many cars, none were 993.

I understand your point, you believe the buyer should pay. I don't. I believe the seller should have a PPI on hand, or (now after reading some insightful threads) split the PPI with me.

I'm on my third car 993 that I am trying to buy. All three sellers had a perfect service history except one, and I have paid over 1k in PPI costs. All three now have come back with over 8-9k in repairs.

How much longer should I keep forking over PPI money on a sellers word?
Brother, if $1K in PPI costs get you bent out of shape (among other small things, it seems), then I would kindly suggest that a 12-15 year old Porsche is not for you.

You seem to be a man of little patience and worried about pinching pennies. Buying and owning an older German sportscar takes a certain mind-set, and it seems you don't occupy that head space.

I suggest a new Toyota. No PPI necessary, and costs are low. Besides, the last thing the world needs in another ill-mannered person driving a Porsche to further enforce the stereotype.

I further suggest you change your name and start over. Methinks you'll not be very welcome by many on here.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:34 PM
Archilla
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My .02 worth; maybe useful advice for any newbies that find this thread when trying to get advice on the purchase process. Every buying/selling arrangement is different, and finding the right situation takes time and patience, and requires some amount of a positive relationship between the buyer, the seller, and of course the car. The seller can do whatever he/she wants to make their car more marketable, and doing their own PPI is one idea, although the feedback from many here so far is that as a buyer, they would not trust this information. I tend to agree, however if someone has their own PPI done as a selling tool and finds a buyer for whom this is an advantage, everyone is happy.

It is ultimately the buyer’s responsibility to figure out what kind of information they need to feel comfortable making a choice on a purchase, and to not settle on a car until they have found the right situation for them. A safe way to go when looking seriously at a car is to get an independent PPI, and that is what most people here will recommend. That said, it is not the only way. I bought my car long distance (way longer than 1000 miles; I live in Los Angeles and I found the car in Massachusetts) and I did not (dramatic pause for gasping sounds) have a PPI done. I didn’t need it. I found the car on Rennlist, spent a fair amount of time talking to the owner, he put me in touch with his mechanic who had done all of the maintenance on the car during his ownership, and I talked to the broker that the seller purchased the car from to get more history. Eventually I saw the car in person, during which time it was at the mechanic having the top end rebuilt, so I got to see the car from every angle myself on the lift, and got to see the mechanic himself working on the engine, as well as the other cars in his shop. I got all of the information I needed to make a decision based on my observations of the mechanic, my personal inspection of the car, and other information I gained by talking to the owner and the mechanic over time. It is up to the buyer to be educated on the car they are shopping for and to be able to ask the pertinent questions, and to be able to interpret the information they are getting from the seller. Even if you go the PPI route, you need to know what are the important things to ask to be able to make a sound decision and to understand if the PPI results make sense. Rennlist is a great place to educate yourself before you start shopping for a 993 or any other P-car.

Finding 993s for sale is pretty easy, finding the right one for you is not. I spent almost a year looking before I found the one I bought. In my opinion, the biggest mistakes a buyer can make are to be in a hurry, or to be under-informed on the things to look out for. Even a PPI can’t save you from making a bad decision, it’s only one of many tool available to you as a buyer, regardless of what shop does it. If you don’t get a good feeling from the seller, or you don’t get a good feeling when you see the car in person, it’s the wrong deal, even if it has a PPI done on it.

-Ruben
Old 09-24-2010, 04:38 PM
Academictech
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 21 Posts

So Johnny, wait, can I have a word please.."Can I spend $350 to back up your claims". Wait, your a member of rennlist.com or pca boards, and I don't need a PPI, I should just call your friend in Canada to verify your car is tight? What?

That's the game my friend. Not your typical "leave it to beaver" family show.
TJ, if you stick around here long enough you'll find the majority of Rennlist and PCA members are trustworthy, reliable, philanthropic and above all else....ladies and gentlemen. I'm on my third 993 and have relied heavily on the knowlege base and word of the members here; it really is much more than an anonymous forum.

There are some great lists here on what to look for when getting a PPI completed, but beware; the PPI will be only as good as the guy doing it.

Some of us put the opinions of fellow 993 Rennlisters and PCA members over that of some unknown wrench performing a PPI.

Rennfax is your friend. If you see anything in New England you like...I'd be happy to take a look for you (see sloancars.com).

Good luck with your search.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:38 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

This guy obviously seeks attention and likes confrontation...
Attached Images  
Old 09-24-2010, 04:45 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

tjeff993,

Might I suggest a slight change of scenery?
Perhaps you might want to "visit" the Politics and Controvery subforum in Off Topic?

Just a thought
Old 09-24-2010, 04:53 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 488 Posts

I appreciate you taking the torch from me since I have to go to work.
Its not a matter of that. I am impartial and can see it both ways.

I would not be willing to let anyone do a PPI on my car if I ever decided to sell it, simply because I don't let anyone touch any of my cars or motorcycles while I own them. But I'd be willing to do everything in front of the buyer for them to see. In the process, they would also get to know the car quite well. Based on the cost of one, the PPI can't reveal everything...not even close.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:59 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
MANY of us know instances where reputable shops issue perfect PPI's for cars that are POS's.
Well they're not reputable shops then and their names should be published...right here.

To clarify, Eric, I don't expect a seller to pay for the PPI if the car was well represented by the seller...and that is the only time I would go forward with a PPI if I chose to do so.

Sellers will tell you their cars are the best. Prove it by putting half the PPI cost up front. If the car is as good as the seller said it was, I'll gladly refund them that amount. It weeds out the dreamers on both sides.

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
I don't know why some of you guys are bothering with this troll.
I need a break from polishing the instrument trim rings.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:04 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 264 Posts

Wow, the gentleman in question pisses off Avid (one helluva nice guy who I've met in person and has a lot of experience with P-cars), and then doesn't have enough facility with grammar to understand GT gears... and then goads him incessantly despite polite explanations (does he even know who GT gears is, what he does?).

I was a newbie here once and benefited greatly from the experience shared by others on this forum - both online and in person. This is an amazingly supportive and generous place. Hate to see those sharing their relevant, helpful, and reasonable opinions getting abused.

For the record, he clearly is a dick. The previous sentence should be clear enough to defy misinterpretation.

Brother-A, can you please close this thread? Perhaps the PPI-Troll will go away.

Last edited by jdistefa; 09-24-2010 at 06:04 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:44 PM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think this thread needs some input from Ray Calvo
Old 09-24-2010, 06:02 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Over 1500 hits in less than 24 hours, and still going strong...

Oh, and uh, no, I didn't get an independent PPI before my purchase....

Last edited by Rinty; 09-24-2010 at 07:14 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:10 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Am I the only one hoping he doesn't find a 993? He seems more of a 996 kinda guy
Old 09-24-2010, 06:13 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW!

I've been out of touch for a few days.....

All I can say is holy crap

As near as I can tell everyone has been trying to help out.....

Quick Reply: This thread gave me a nervous tick.