Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Selling a car. What is the best selling service?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 06:46 PM
larpy
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Selling a car. What is the best selling service?

I am pondering selling my 993 to pursue another project and wanted to research the best outlets for getting the most exposure for the sale. For those of you that have bought or sold a car lately where did you find or sell your vehicle. I want to avoid the vehicle sales services calling me daily which seems to happen if a seller uses Craigslist etc.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:07 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,034 Likes on 464 Posts

Haven't sold a car recently but when I'm looking to buy I use the regular Autotrader.com, cars.com, craigslist etc. Here and the PCA site help as well but, as a wiseman once said, many here already have the car they want.

Sad to see the car go, you've put so much into it.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:17 PM
deadhead1960
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With all the mods listed, this forum is the perfect place, followed by Pelican and then pca.org. I would list it for a week or two and if nothing happens expand it to either cars.com or autotrader.com. Also, being a cabriolet, if you don't get your number and can afford to hold it until the spring, the "buyer's pool" should expand around March. So enjoy it during the fall season, store it for December-February and list it in March. Just my $0.02.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:18 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Chris,

Here and Pelican are the best places to start. I listed mine here, Craigslist, cars.com and autotrader.com all at the same time. Initially I wish I had not spent the money for cars.com & auto trader but inevitably cars.com is where my buyer found my car.

Cars.com was $20 and autotrader was around $35 so the way I see it if you one is serious about selling why not spend $55-$60 to advertise it.

The selling services found me from cars.com & autotrader.com not Craiglist. Those calls come in the first 2 days. I think I got about 4 total and you know in 10 seconds if they are one and just say no thanks. If they leave a message and its an 800 number don't call back. Again....small price to pay considering my buyer came from cars.com.

While Craigslist didn't generate any buyers on my Porsche it did work on a BMW I sold. The Craigslist search engines are really helping buyers and sellers find each other. Good luck. I which I could say selling a 14-15 year specialty car to a obsessive buyers pool is an enjoyable experience. It's not.

Speaking from experience you will get all types. My favorite is the one who emails 3-4 times with tons of questions then just disappears without any explanation. Sure would be nice if you could ask if they have discussed this purchase with their wives first but that would probably not be received well.

You have a fantastic car and if patient the right buyer will come along.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:01 PM
Academictech
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 21 Posts

chris, i'd recommend here, pelican,cars.com, ebay and autotrader.com...craigslist brings out the crazies.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:00 PM
larpy
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the advice.

Quick Reply: Selling a car. What is the best selling service?