Sponsored by:

PPI in Seatle

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 03:28 AM
castorjs
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PPI in Seatle

So I am looking at a 95 993 C4 in the Seatle area but I live on the east coast.
Does anyone know of a reputable, trustworthy, reasonable place to get a ppi done in the Seatle area?

thanks,

Jon
jgrode14@gmail.com
Old 09-18-2010, 05:08 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't go wrong with Squires

http://www.squiresautowerke.com/aboutus.htm

(do a search here for "Squire")
Old 09-18-2010, 05:12 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Squire is good and you can also use Chris's German Auto in Bellevue.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:23 AM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Squire is good and you can also use Chris's German Auto in Bellevue.
another vote for Chris's here. That is Chris Powell, he is a member of the PCA technical committee, and very highly respected.

When I was looking at a car in Bellevue, I was planning on having Chris do the PPI on it. I had a couple of very long conversations with both him, and John. Terriffic guys who took the time to talk details to me of cars-the local dealer who had the car etc...I never got to the PPI phase on that one. I would do business with them in a heartbeat, very nice guys.

Good luck
Old 09-18-2010, 11:33 AM
Leucadia
Racer

Lemme know if you need any help. I'm a regular at both of the aforementioned shops.
Old 09-18-2010, 02:00 PM
MDamen
Pro

John Walker's shop is good too. What part of town is the car located? You can pick a shop that is nearby.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:58 PM
Paul K
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the car black over tan?
Old 09-19-2010, 02:40 AM
MDamen
Pro

Midnight blue over gray?
Old 09-19-2010, 10:32 AM
audimotion
Advanced

Received 72 Likes on 24 Posts

If its the midnight blue/grey one...check the carfax. It has been registered, but no mileage records for the past 5 yrs. Owner states he only drove it 11K miles in almost 6 yrs...and every time I mentioned having it looked at, there was always someone else who was going to buy it...that was 3 weeks ago.

If this is the vehicle you are considering, I'd be curious to know if it checks out....keep us posted.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:07 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Akers Porsche on Capitol Hill is a good shop for PPI's.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:16 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Where is the car located?

In "Seattle" go to John Walker or Akers.
Eastside, Chris, Squires, & Redmond Euro.

We have a ton of great shops in the PNW!
Old 09-19-2010, 05:14 PM
castorjs
Instructor

Audimotion,

You are right it is the midnight blue over grey c4. Thanks for letting me know about that. I ran across another car in Maine that also had been registered but the last mileage recording was 28k miles even though the car had 106k miles. I am not sure what that means because the carfax said the car registration was renewed every year. Anyway the owner of the MB car seems like a nice guy and told me he was selling the car because he had too many projects and needed to free up some money. When I mentioned doing a ppi, he said he had one done recently and the compression in one of the cylinders was low. The numbers were:

160 110 165 160 165 160

So now I am thinking rebuild? Maybe that is really why he wants to sell it? The asking price seemed reasonable at $23,900 but perhaps now that is why?
Thank you for all the responses. What do you guys think? Should I pursue the car further and try to get the price down knowing that a rebuild is needed in the near future or just pass on it? How much is a rebuild? $5k? Anyone in the area can drop by and take a quick look at the car?

Thanks,

Jon

By the way somenone mentioned a black/tan. Is there are black/tan in that price range in that area?
Old 09-19-2010, 07:04 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by castorjs
Audimotion,

You are right it is the midnight blue over grey c4. Thanks for letting me know about that. I ran across another car in Maine that also had been registered but the last mileage recording was 28k miles even though the car had 106k miles. I am not sure what that means because the carfax said the car registration was renewed every year. Anyway the owner of the MB car seems like a nice guy and told me he was selling the car because he had too many projects and needed to free up some money. When I mentioned doing a ppi, he said he had one done recently and the compression in one of the cylinders was low. The numbers were:

160 110 165 160 165 160

So now I am thinking rebuild? Maybe that is really why he wants to sell it? The asking price seemed reasonable at $23,900 but perhaps now that is why?
Thank you for all the responses. What do you guys think? Should I pursue the car further and try to get the price down knowing that a rebuild is needed in the near future or just pass on it? How much is a rebuild? $5k? Anyone in the area can drop by and take a quick look at the car?

Thanks,

Jon

By the way somenone mentioned a black/tan. Is there are black/tan in that price range in that area?
If the car hasn't been driven it can have low compression numbers, you don't know if it's the valves, or the pistons that are giving the low compression if there is a issue.

Rebuild, is going to be well over $5000, & around $5k for getting all the heads rebuilt. I would say a leak down test would need to be done or another compression test & see if yields the same results.

Where exactly is the car located? I'm sure one of us is close & will check it out for you. People say "Seattle" but in fact can be almost 100mi away from Seattle.

There is a black/tan C4 in Lynnwood for sale @ a used car lot, I believe it's going for more $$. Some one will have the link to the car. It has been there for a while, so I'm sure they will be able to make some kind of deal on it.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:02 PM
castorjs
Instructor

I am not sure about the area, I think somewhere in west seatle but I have to verify location of car with owner. Where is the black/tan listed for sale? I can't find the ad. So even though the one cyclinder is much lower there is still a chance that another compression test could be a lot different? Is it even worth paying the money to have that done?

Quick Reply: PPI in Seatle