Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Focal 165VR? Thoughts or opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 07:55 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Focal 165VR? Thoughts or opinions?

Anyone have experience with the Focal 165 VR? Amazon has a special price on it for today only and I'm tempted to get it (even though I have no immediate need for it)

Focal for sale on Amazon for $250

"This is an exclusive offer from Car Toys and is Fulfilled by Amazon with FREE Super Saver Shipping and Amazon Prime eligibility. The 165 VR is a 6.5 inch 2-way speaker kit from the Polyglass VR line of Focal speakers that includes the 6 VR woofer, an Aluminum/Magnesium inverted dome tweeter and a separate crossover. The 6 VR offers extremely high efficiency, in conjunction with a very high-fidelity sound. Its 94.5dB sensitivity reveals the smallest details and transcends the drum attacks or any other percussion. The tweeter’s sound is smooth and precise with a surprisingly large center."

Last edited by David in LA; 09-15-2010 at 11:10 AM.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:00 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

is this a direct fit/replacement, or requires moification to the car?
Old 09-15-2010, 09:02 AM
delanobe
Three Wheelin'

Received 220 Likes on 105 Posts

Direct fitment.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:13 AM
ggg1ggg
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm told the tweeters need to be trimmed a bit to fit into the factory pods.

Wow - $250. I was hesitant to add the Polyglass speakers to my big purchase from Rod Birch (already had Infinity Kappa 2-ways), but at that price I just snapped 'em up.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:50 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

so does anyone have experience with these? should I buy a set...or two (2 cars, 2 sets ) ?!?!?

I don't know how much these normally sell for (I assume some discount to list price), but $250 seems cheap

edit - looks like Amazon use to sell them for $325-375 or so?

Last edited by David in LA; 09-15-2010 at 11:11 AM.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:46 AM
shanepotter
Instructor

I have the Focal K2 Power 165 KRC (coaxial). They have great midrange and highs. I set my head unit to limit the lower HZ as they tend to get overwhelmed with certain types of music. If I added a sub I think the overall sound would be just right. If you have a focal dealer near you I would recommend comparing the polyglass vs. the K2. Overall Focal makes a great product (home and car). Good luck.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:52 AM
TxnBluDvl
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

LOL. I was looking at the exact same set right now on Amazon. Bump, because I'm also itching to pull the trigger if there isn't a fitment issue (i.e., need to cut metal, etc.). I'm planning to put it into a HiFi equipped car.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:09 PM
User 121721
Racer

That looks like a great deal, but IIRC, you have to replace the whole system to really notice any improvement -- I mean ditch the amp under the passenger seat and/or replace the head unit because the stock HiFi setup doesn't possess the power to drive speakers like this adequately.

I really wanted to upgrade my stereo a while ago but was talked out of it -- with a Cab, was told the outside noise level at highway speeds, would render any system worthless.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:43 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Good speaker but they want to be powered right. Big improvement over factory sound.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:29 PM
zone5
Burning Brakes

Cabs might not benefit as much from an upgrade but anything is better than the Nokia stuff, especially if it's over 10 years old!!!
Old 09-15-2010, 06:07 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Are we 100% sure no cutting needed to fit these? If so I am going to buy them. But a little searching seemed to reveal inconclusive feedback on whether they are a direct fit or not. Also, are the speaker plates on them plain black? In other words, do they look OEM? Can always buy amp, cr 220, etc. later...this appears to be a great deal on these

ps. I have the non-hi fi stereo
Old 09-15-2010, 07:50 PM
ggg1ggg
Rennlist Member

Speaker plates look like this (found through a Google image search):

Not exactly OEM with the Focal badge on it, but better than the Infinity Kappas I have right now.

Don't know about the fit, but I placed an order and I'm going to give it a shot.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:08 PM
ggg1ggg
Rennlist Member

From what it's worth, from Rod Birch himself a while ago. He's talking specifically about dealing with hi-fi setup (3 speakers per side). I have a non-hifi, so I'm pretty confident I can get the 6.5 in speakers in, and my real concern is the tweeters into the factory pods. If you have hifi, then you've got a bigger issue.

Originally Posted by hotrodc4s
Rod Birch chiming in here:
The Nokia hifi equipped 993 has a small tweeter in the small pod up high on the door panel, 'same as the non-hifi equipped 993. The tweeter pod attaches to a flat round piece of metal that's riveted to the door panel. There is no mounting depth behind this area, it's really glass and window regulator assembly. Some tweeters will fit inside the factory tweeter pod/housing, but only small tweeters, such as the TN45, TN47 by Focal, some smaller tweeters by other brands as well. I think I was misquoted, I said that no tweeter from a nicer set of speakers, such as the Dynaudio, Focal (such as TN51, TN52 models), Hertz HSK or MLK models, would fit in the factory tweeter housing.
The Hifi equipped cars are nice in that you can mount one of the tweeters from these nicer sets of 2-way speakers in the area behind the larger grill on the lower door panel. I don't recommend trying to reuse the Nokia enclosure that resides behind the big cover. It's an ambitious effort, and though I'm a loyal a Nokia phone customer, I think they should stay out of the car speaker, amplifier, and enclosure design business. Removing this Nokia speaker enclosure exposes the more common speaker "cutout" on the door panel, one that easily accomodates a 6.5" midwoofer. Now you've got space for the 6.5" midwoofer, a tweeter in the area above it, and the crossover network. Once the door panel cover/grill is reinstalled, it all looks exactly the same, it only sounds 100x better.
That enclosure that I recommend removing can be saved for later, in case the eventual buyer of your car insists on the ability to return everything to completey original. If you want to mount speakers to this factory enclosure instead, and experiment with the ported design (and you can find a 3-way set of speakers with a tweeter that'll fit inside the factory tweeter pod) you're still looking for the sizes that will fit this Nokia enclosure. Keep in mind that the largest driver in the enclosure is a 5.25", I'm not sure how someone can get a 6.5" or 7" from any speaker set into the 5.25" opening/mount. Make sure you see pictures of what someone has done before attempting it. For a speaker to sound good it needs to be mounted rigidly and the back(wave) of the speaker must be isolated from the front of the speaker, any gaps around the speaker, or too small of an enclosure will noticeably compromise efficiency and sound quality, most notably midbass and lower midrange. I've seen people do funny stuff in 996 doors, tossing the factory 5.25" speaker enclosure (which I think is essential for good sound, along with the correct size speaker!) for a hokey home or shop crafted "baffle" board that does not comprise an enclosure or isolate the rear of the speaker from the front. This is 2 steps backwards...
Anyway, my $.02!!!
-Rod
...the 165VRs come with TN47 tweeters, so that's promising.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:41 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ggg1ggg
From what it's worth, from Rod Birch himself a while ago. He's talking specifically about dealing with hi-fi setup (3 speakers per side). I have a non-hifi, so I'm pretty confident I can get the 6.5 in speakers in, and my real concern is the tweeters into the factory pods. If you have hifi, then you've got a bigger issue.

The HiFi is what he is adressing there. If you remove the pod, the same cutout as the no-hifi setup is already there. Tweeter fit is the issue.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:09 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

i wonder if I could paint those little red tornado symbols turquoise blue...

kidding

Quick Reply: Focal 165VR? Thoughts or opinions?