Sponsored by:

GT3 Recaro seats in 993 C4S

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 01:54 PM
Jorge98C4S
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT3 Recaro seats in 993 C4S

I'm looking into getting proper seats that will support 5pt harness for my track events. I'm considering the very nice, but expensive, GT3 Recaro seats.
Can anyone comment on this idea?
Does anyone know, given that the seats have fixed incline, how much of the back seat usage I would lose? Would my small kids still be able to access the back seats?
Any thoughts much appreciated.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:26 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

The seats work well. Check out the archives, as there are lots of threads on this subject.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:41 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I loved mine (just went back to factory leather since I don't track the car anymore). And access to the rear is fine as long as the seats are on sliders.
You'll love the way they hold you in tight once you're on track!
Old 09-07-2010, 04:44 PM
Jorge98C4S
Track Day

Wow, tons of information on these seats.
Thanks v much Mark.

Regarding the point about rear seat usability, it seems that these GT3 seats do in fact render the rear seats somewhat unusable for taking my kids along.

It also seems like it's a fairly doable DIY proyect, so I think I'll tackle it myself rather than spending $ at my local shop. Will also give me a chance to get more acquainted with the car.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:45 PM
Jorge98C4S
Track Day

Thanks Chris, we were posting simultaneously.
So your view is that with sliders my kids should be able to squeeze in the back?
Old 09-07-2010, 05:14 PM
bart1
Race Car

What do you plan to attach the 5 pts to? Will that not render your backseats useless? Do you plan to install/remove a rollbar for each track day.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:26 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Originally Posted by Jorge98C4S
Thanks Chris, we were posting simultaneously.
So your view is that with sliders my kids should be able to squeeze in the back?
YW

Bart brings up a good point. If you plan to install harnesses, anything you go to will render the rear seats useless. The seats will allow for rear usage if the children are small enough, but not with a harness bar or roll hoop/cage. One of the other reason I don't track my car anymore is that couldn't go anywhere with the car if both kids had to go, now I can.

But if that doesn't matter to you, I have a DAS bar and perlon covered GT3 seats I may be willing to part with (the seats not as much as the bar )
Old 09-08-2010, 01:49 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jorge98C4S
...Regarding the point about rear seat usability, it seems that these GT3 seats do in fact render the rear seats somewhat unusable for taking my kids along.....
Depends on the size of the kids....my wife sometimes sits back there when I have my daughter's car seat mounted on the front passenger seat I can manage to squeeze myself back there as well (5"10" 180lbs)
Old 09-08-2010, 02:45 PM
Jorge98C4S
Track Day

I'm not as ambitious as David in terms of expecting to fit an adult back there!

My boys are 2yr and 4yr (and obviously growing!)

Not planning on roll bar, just a bolt on harness bar and I want to retain the use of the regular seat belt.

I do realize even the harness bar will make it very difficult, and this is one point where I was in need of feedback and opinions.

This is not my daily driver, and my kids really get in the car only a few times a year, so I just basically need to be able to fit them back there for those more rare ocassions.

And a final question, to which I think I know the answer given the posts: I am pretty handy with tools and DIY stuff of all kinds. Would anyone NOT recommend I attempt to install these seats myself?
I've seen a lot of succesful instalations in the forum, so I'm encouraged to do it while also: 1/ learn more about my car and 2/ save a few hundred $ in installation costs......
Old 09-08-2010, 05:07 PM
bart1
Race Car

This probably goes without saying, but: Don't let your kids ride back there with a harness bar installed.

Make sure you read about the proper installation of harnesses with a harness bar (I have a B-K one I could sell you).

Go fot it - install the seats yourself. Sounds like some people have had issues, so read through the installs from the past and make sure you have the right brackets going in.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:26 PM
Jorge98C4S
Track Day

Thanks Bart.
Indeed, the kids in the back with the harness bar does not sound like a good idea.
Can you give me some details/pics on the B-K bar?
This is a bolt on correct? and will allow me to keep the standard seat belt?
How long does it take to put in/out?
Thanks again!
Old 09-08-2010, 08:24 PM
993inNC
Race Car

If you aren't a complete speed demon, the factory belts work just fine with the GT3 seats. I ended up taking my harnesses out and just going stock. The seats do such a good job of keeping you planted. Now from a safety standpoint obviously you want the most protection you can get, and the harness is the way to go especially if you use a HANS.
I justified the stock belts with "if its good enough for the factory to protect me....." the seats add the "planted" feeling and if your air bags are still in use.........

Do what you feel most comfortable with.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:43 PM
Al Z
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Jorge,
If you are interested, I just removed a set of OMP grip seats from my 993. They are cloth and have the six point set up. They would make great track seats. They have all the mounting hardware and side brackets. You can have them for 1000 plus shipping.
Thanks,
AL Z
Old 09-08-2010, 10:25 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Great seat and relatively easy to install IF YOU HAVE THE CORRECT HARDWARE. My posting should answer all the questions.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...n-summary.html
Old 09-09-2010, 05:18 PM
Stuttgart951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As other shave said, since you are talking about 5-point harnesses, you will need a harness bar at minimum - better yet a half-cage. As such, children will not be able to sit in the rear seats, no.

With most bars, the cross member will prevent all but the softest or smallest items from being shoved back there. Your helmet will not fit through, for example. A soft briefcase or overnight bag would be fine.

The only other negative is that, on the street, your mobility (and thus visibility) will be severely hindered by any harness. You learn to drive around the problem.

All of that said - the seats are so good and fit so perfectly in the car that I would not hesitate to recommend them regardless of the resulting drawbacks.

I DIY'd mine and had my wrench double check and tighten everything. Can be a frustrating job if you floor-mount them but, as with everything in life, doing it a second time takes half the time.

Quick Reply: GT3 Recaro seats in 993 C4S