Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IF YOU ARE HAVING A BAD DAY IT COULD BE WORSE!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 10:28 AM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
You'll never see my wife sitting or leaning against any car, much less a Porsche!
You have that right. My wife and I respect others' cars as well as our own. I guess if you are too rich or own a pos you wouldn't care.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:33 AM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
They were probably busy multi tasking...probably texting or yapping on the cell phone about SDA.
I think you have a good grasp of what happened. I certainly would make a wager on that.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:41 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
you simply gotta get over that my friend. I've been sideswiped by boats/trailers much wider than the tow vehicles-cut off-pulled in front of...and sent tumbling over the hood of a Hyundi SUV a few years back...

Years ago it was like that Nick Cage movie "WEATHERMAN". Punks would throw crap out windows at me, reach out and try to slap me as they drove by. The last time that happened, I caught them at the next redlight and bitch slapped the kid back-man was he surprised.

Every State/City etc treats their cyclists differently. In Central New York, there simply isn't that many of us out on the road at any given time-especially in the winter months.

You ride aware-defensive riding, like defensive driving. If I didn't ride my bikes-road/mtn/cyclocross, I would take a hostage damn near everyday.

get out and ride, just be aware.
Thanks, but but no thanks. I did my road riding sentence a number of years ago when all of my MTB buddies got road bikes. I find it to be utterly, completely and inexorably boring compared to mountain biking and disliked breathing in CO and other particles from cars. The roads we were on that had light traffic were all two lane, shoulderless thoroughfares where a speeding car around a blind corner could wipe you out. It's bad enough to have poor drivers at speed out there, but when you add distracted, texting drivers to the drunk driving mix, it's a recipe to get killed. Really, I'm not sure how you can keep on doing it after being regularly sideswiped and sent over a hood of a car. Oh, I forgot to mention that there was a real problem with punks harassing cyclists, although this could be an effective deterrent: http://www.kimberamerica.com/shop/pr...bbd16d4b93feae

Actually, I'm going for a two hour MTB ride right now . . .
Old 09-03-2010, 12:14 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 179 Posts
Default Parking 101 - Flat Out

That may buff out . . . Well they park flat out, I wonder if they drive flat out.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:38 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
How hard is it to take a look in your side mirror before flinging your door open?

Andreas
While on the phone - hard!
Old 09-03-2010, 12:58 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I understand that in Seattle, no matter what the circumstances, the person getting out of the car is considered a 'pedestrian' and the driver of the truck would be at fault. I know, pretty crazy, but that's Seattle ....
Old 09-03-2010, 03:53 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

You'll never see my wife sitting or leaning against any car, much less a Porsche!
those wide bodies are good for something afterall.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:13 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There was a recent incident in near here where a bike rider swerved out to avoid a guy in a parked car opening his car door. Sadly a bus hit the bicyclist and killed him. The driver of the parked car is facing manslaughter charges. In CA the law is pretty clear.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:26 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

And how do you know it's not her car? Besides, that's the least of her worries!
Old 09-03-2010, 04:39 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 684 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by 95 NC 993
I think you have a good grasp of what happened. I certainly would make a wager on that.
Lets just say I have first hand experience after a cell phone yapping kid ran into the back of my motorcycle while I was stopped in traffic. The inattention on his part put me into the hospital and off my feet for 3+ months while also writing off my BMW GS Adventure.

The next one that does that to me better find a rock to hide under.

What you won't find in my car is a coffee, cigarette and a cell phone. What you will find is a driver; imagine that, a driver in a vehicle. What an effing concept!
Old 09-03-2010, 04:48 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by 2Many Cars
There was a recent incident in near here where a bike rider swerved out to avoid a guy in a parked car opening his car door. Sadly a bus hit the bicyclist and killed him. The driver of the parked car is facing manslaughter charges. In CA the law is pretty clear.
Yep . . .
Old 09-03-2010, 04:54 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

I'm tellin' ya, use the sidewalk to bicycle! No one else seems to use it, at least here in L.A....

I also have always thought that riding with the flow of traffic with your back to cars coming up on you defied common sense. If I must ride on the street, I always use side streets, or ride against the flow of traffic, so drivers can see me before they open doors, and I can see if a texter is veering towards me.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:30 PM
cbzzoom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
I'm tellin' ya, use the sidewalk to bicycle! No one else seems to use it, at least here in L.A....
sorry this is getting a bit OT to the thread, but I can't resist.

The reason no one else does it is because it's a terrible suggestion. For one thing, it's illegal in most of the US (I'm not familiar with LA law, so not sure if it is there). Bikes are supposed to be on the road. It's very rude to pedestrians (this is probably not a big deal in LA because there are no pedestrians!). And in many ways it's actually more dangerous because you are almost completely invisible to drivers who are turning into driveways. One of the most dangerous scenarios is when cyclists on sidewalks cross through intersections. See Dave Moulton's blog for some stories of recent deaths due to this.

When you do need to take a bike on a sidewalk, you should get off your bike and walk it. When you're riding near parked cars, the right thing to do is just ride farther out in the road. Take the lane if it's necessary for your safety (eg when you see a blondie on a cell phone sitting in a parked car).

And yeah, I've been "doored". Fortunately I was riding defensive and was on my brakes quickly. I like the cell-phone-talking mom took more damage than I did.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:51 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by cbzzoom
sorry this is getting a bit OT to the thread, but I can't resist.

The reason no one else does it is because it's a terrible suggestion. For one thing, it's illegal in most of the US (I'm not familiar with LA law, so not sure if it is there). Bikes are supposed to be on the road. It's very rude to pedestrians (this is probably not a big deal in LA because there are no pedestrians!). And in many ways it's actually more dangerous because you are almost completely invisible to drivers who are turning into driveways. One of the most dangerous scenarios is when cyclists on sidewalks cross through intersections. See Dave Moulton's blog for some stories of recent deaths due to this.

When you do need to take a bike on a sidewalk, you should get off your bike and walk it. When you're riding near parked cars, the right thing to do is just ride farther out in the road. Take the lane if it's necessary for your safety (eg when you see a blondie on a cell phone sitting in a parked car).

And yeah, I've been "doored". Fortunately I was riding defensive and was on my brakes quickly. I like the cell-phone-talking mom took more damage than I did.
I see many good points here, but I still like my odds on the sidewalk vs. the road. Texting dumb girl in an SUV at 30mph hitting you from behind so you never even saw it coming vs. driveway car at 5 mph, and I usually get to see that one coming. Both suck, but I like my odds better on the latter one.

LA isn't a bicycle oriented town, unlike many parts of the PNW. Not many people use the sidewalks here in my part of town, really. And I'll go in the street if I see a crowd ahead and there's little traffic on the road at that moment. Also, here in the City of Los Angeles, it is not illegal to ride on sidewalks, but some smaller municipalities, like Santa Monica (I think) outlawed bikes on sidewalks.

And I've never been "doored"
Old 09-04-2010, 10:35 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,039 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by mongrelcat
I just hope to gawd her phone wasn't damaged in the fruckus.

Originally Posted by AOW162435
How hard is it to take a look in your side mirror before flinging your door open?

Andreas
Apparently very hard.

Originally Posted by JPP
I understand that in Seattle, no matter what the circumstances, the person getting out of the car is considered a 'pedestrian' and the driver of the truck would be at fault. I know, pretty crazy, but that's Seattle ....
Wow. Just wow. It seems to me that very soon, none of us will be accountable for anything.

Quick Reply: IF YOU ARE HAVING A BAD DAY IT COULD BE WORSE!!!!