Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

DDM Tuning HID Install DIY

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 01:25 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh, and did you guys buy that harness for $12.50?
Old 09-11-2010, 09:47 PM
Al Z
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Installed my HID's this afternoon. It took me longer to remove the glass
for cleaning then to install the kit. Very simple.
I used the base kit and replaced the ground (black wire) spade
to a bullet type, so it will fit the stock brown wire.
What a difference for 35 bucks.....
Al Z
Old 09-12-2010, 10:46 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 272 Posts

Any excessive heat generated by these units? I've got the XPEL protection film on my lenses and don't want to create a problem if these HID's burn excessvely hot. TIA for any input.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:50 AM
TRM
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
Any excessive heat generated by these units? I've got the XPEL protection film on my lenses and don't want to create a problem if these HID's burn excessvely hot. TIA for any input.
I've got the super thick expel on mine (from previous owner)...no issues I've seen so far.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:21 PM
M Fig
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I just did this today...thanks for the post and instructions and pics...made it easy. Took 20 minutes for the first one, and 5 for the second.

nice DIY.

mark
Old 09-20-2010, 09:11 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Swapped mine out today...AUUUGGGHHHH. The passenger side is still out. Guess it wasn't the old ballast after all, but something more sinister.

I'll start searching, but does anyone know offhand whether or not these cars have individual fuses for L/R headlights? If not, then I really am in the dark about why my passenger side is still out.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:35 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Answered my own question - yes, separate fuses for L/R, High and Low beam.

...unfortunately, all my fuses are fine. It's a full-blown wiring issue now. (Sigh.)
Old 09-20-2010, 09:45 PM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ed, see if you have any current first with the wires open at the end. Some ballasts are particularly sensitive to a lot of resistance (from weak connections) or maybe you do have a bad ballast. Oh, you could also try swapping them.

dave
Old 09-20-2010, 10:23 PM
steve porter
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Ed, Check the socket on the light itself mine looked o.k. but but when i pressed on the indivdual metal sockets some would retract into the housing . each metal socket has a little barb on it to hold it in place. Easily fixed if that is what it is just by bending the barbs with your fingernail I chased this intermittent No headlight issue for TWO years , I hope its as simple as this for you.
Steve
Old 09-20-2010, 10:46 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Thanks, guys. I do suspect a poor connection at the socket, as the headlamp was excessively hard to position correctly a few weeks ago. There may also be a poor ground right at that brown wire - I noticed a little char there when I was replacing the light kit today, right where I spliced in with my first HID kit four years ago.

At this point, lamps, ballasts, and fuses have been definitively ruled out.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:50 PM
TRM
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 65 Posts

Ed, after you have swapped ballasts check in.

I have the same problem. It's the passenger side. For some reason the touchy electrical wiring of the 993 doesn't like it. If I start the car and then turn the headlights on the passenger side flickers on momentarily and then stays off.

If, however, I turn ignition to ON, turn the headlights on, and then start the car the passenger side will remain on.

Very strange but I chalk it up to the wiring in the 993 and the sensitivity to the ballasts.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:06 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Burdell
Thanks, guys. I do suspect a poor connection at the socket, as the headlamp was excessively hard to position correctly a few weeks ago. There may also be a poor ground right at that brown wire - I noticed a little char there when I was replacing the light kit today, right where I spliced in with my first HID kit four years ago.

At this point, lamps, ballasts, and fuses have been definitively ruled out.
poor connection it is...my connections are hanging freely..it's always the passenger side because the connections have grown loose from constantly removing the headlight to unplug the fan resitor, at least in my case that's what it was...lol
Old 09-20-2010, 11:39 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
poor connection it is...my connections are hanging freely..it's always the passenger side because the connections have grown loose from constantly removing the headlight to unplug the fan resitor, at least in my case that's what it was...lol
LOL, I unplugged my fan resistor four years ago and kept it unplugged ever since. For awhile I wondered if I was doing the engine a disservice in the winter, but the oil always got up to temp, the thermostat would open, and the gauge would sit at or just below the first mark.

Back to headlights. So what do you do, shore up the connector somehow? If it's loose, plug it in first and then insert the headlamp assembly? Mine is still ostensibly in place, although there's no guarantee that the headlamp connector is correctly engaging the socket...I suppose I could try my brights to see if I'm getting something.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:46 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ed Burdell
LOL, I unplugged my fan resistor four years ago and kept it unplugged ever since. For awhile I wondered if I was doing the engine a disservice in the winter, but the oil always got up to temp, the thermostat would open, and the gauge would sit at or just below the first mark.

Back to headlights. So what do you do, shore up the connector somehow? If it's loose, plug it in first and then insert the headlamp assembly? Mine is still ostensibly in place, although there's no guarantee that the headlamp connector is correctly engaging the socket...I suppose I could try my brights to see if I'm getting something.
I unclipped the socket, pull it out some and connected it to the headlight. Once connected I slid the headlight back into position. Andreas (AOW12....) has a mod for it to make it work if that fails.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:50 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

see https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-question.html

Quick Reply: DDM Tuning HID Install DIY