Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Any complaints/issues w/ the FVD "Freeway" steering wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 01:23 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Picked it up from FedEx this evening. Box looked like it came from across town and not 1/3 way around the world. Well wrapped/packed, no damage whatsoever. Only problem, all the instructions (and airbag certificate?) are in German but I don't think it'll be hard to install. Just need to disconnect battery before starting the swap. Will want to do something with the Raid emblem, it's a little too much.

Will post photos after install.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:20 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 223 Likes on 183 Posts

Good, I like your photos...............
Old 09-10-2010, 09:39 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Will want to do something with the Raid emblem, it's a little too much.

Will post photos after install.
The Raid emblem peels right off. You can clean the goo left over with Goo-Gone or similar. There will be a small indentation left where the sticker was though.

Here is a picture of mine after I removed the sticked and before I cleaned the goo..
Attached Images  
Old 09-10-2010, 10:46 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by 911PERVY
Good, I like your photos...............
I wish I could claim them as mine.....
..but I'll post another one just for you. My assistant for the wheel swap.... (I wish!)
Originally Posted by cabrio993
The Raid emblem peels right off. You can clean the goo left over with Goo-Gone or similar. There will be a small indentation left where the sticker was though.

Here is a picture of mine after I removed the sticked and before I cleaned the goo..
Fantastic! Just what I wanted to hear.

Last edited by Slow Guy; 12-24-2014 at 01:39 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:48 AM
ggg1ggg
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where did you get the Porsche crest for your RAID wheel? Is it plastic or metallic? I'm worried anything that is glued on will look... well... glued on. That, and concerns about where it is during airbag deployment.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:32 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Thats the one thing putting me off, the "stuck on" sticking out crest. Maybe a heat embossed crest is possible somehow? Or maybe covering the airbag in leather so the crest sinks in?

2 lovely airbags in that pic Bill, thanks...........
Old 09-10-2010, 11:51 AM
ggg1ggg
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I was considering buying a hunk of leather from a craft shop and taking it to an embroidery shop armed with a digital image of the Porsche crest. But I'm still not sure what that would do to airbag deployment by glueing leather to it around the back edge.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:59 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Originally Posted by ggg1ggg
Yes, I was considering buying a hunk of leather from a craft shop and taking it to an embroidery shop armed with a digital image of the Porsche crest. But I'm still not sure what that would do to airbag deployment by glueing leather to it around the back edge.
Porsche have leather air bags, as long as its got the seam line to blow through I wouldnt be bothered
Old 09-10-2010, 01:01 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 104 Posts

Very interested to see photos once you've installed. Specifically, would like your impressions on the

- thicker grip
- smaller diameter
- how far it sits inboard vs. stock
Old 09-10-2010, 02:11 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Will you have it installed for C&C tomorrow? If not, bring your assistant and we'll help!
Old 09-10-2010, 02:40 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
Very interested to see photos once you've installed. Specifically, would like your impressions on the

- thicker grip
- smaller diameter
Will do Matt.

Originally Posted by vincer77
Will you have it installed for C&C tomorrow? If not, bring your assistant and we'll help!
I won't be going to C&C tomorrow, we're having a neighborhood gathering (you've heard of a pub crawl? well we're doing a deck crawl). I've got a few things to clean up before the crawl.

If I had an assistant like that the last place I'd bring her was around you guys!
Old 09-10-2010, 03:28 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,016 Likes on 380 Posts

I had the Raid Freeway wheel in my 964. Purchased it from TMTuning. The only minor issue is because of the smaller diameter, it blocks the very top of the speedo. But if feels and looks great.

Old 09-11-2010, 12:03 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

OK, got the wheel installed this afternoon. Went to take it on a test drive to fetch the pizza but as soon as I tried to start the car the horn started blowing. The car would start but the horn stayed on. Had to take wife's car to fetch so I got to think a little about the problem. Knew it wasn't immobilizer since the car started so it must be in the horn circuit.

The horn setup in the Raid is completely different than the stock wheel and with no instructions (in english at least) had to take an educated guess on the setup. Managed to get it right the first followup attempt but didn't get a chance to test drive it so I'll do that tomorrow.

Busta's wheel is exactly like my wheel and the spacing is identical but I'll post my driving impression tomorrow.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:34 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by Matt Lane

- thicker grip
- smaller diameter
Matt, I took the car out for an early AM drive this morning and here are my impressions:

Thicker grip - yes it's noticibly thicker but by no means too thick. My hands are not large, much closer to med. size and the grip is just fine for me. It is VERY comfortable at the 2 & 10 position (where I normally drive), not quite as comfortable but still satisfactory at the 3 & 9 position. At 12 there are still the finger ribs on the back side so you have plenty of grip at that position too. Overall no issues or complaints from me.

Smaller diameter - Yes, the stock wheel is ~365mm and this wheel is 340. Although it does impact my view of the speedo above about 80 mph I can peek down and see the higher ranges of the speedo w/out much issue. The smaller size has the added benefit of giving me more knee room (I'm 6'3"). I wouldn't go any smaller but this size suits me just fine.

Position from dash - Gert said the wheel/hub brings the wheel about 20mm (.75 in) closer to the driver, I wouldn't argue with that at all. It is closer and I love it. I still have very easy access to the turn signal switch keeping my hand on the wheel and just using my finger, same as I've always done. Again this has the added benefit of giving me more knee room, I love it.

The only "complaint" I have with the wheel is the Raid emblem is a little too much for the car, however, as it has been mentioned it comes off very easily.

Again I'm very pleased with the wheel and Gert's delivery time was outstanding. The only complaint is the instructions are only in German, I guess Raid/Atwei figures we English speakers are smart enough to figure out how it goes together. However there are supplemental instructions for replacing the airbag connector that are in English.

BTW, the torque for the steering wheel nut to the steering shaft is 33 ft lb. The instruction manual mentions 8 Nm and 10Nm, I'm going to guess the 8Nm is for the Torx screws on the back of the wheel holding the airbag to the wheel and the 10Nm is for the 4 Allen screws that hold the wheel to the hub.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:57 PM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great info. I'm 6'4" and have been contemplating this wheel and the 996 3-spoke. Thanks a bunch.

Quick Reply: Any complaints/issues w/ the FVD "Freeway" steering wheel?