Sponsored by:

OT - Jaguar XK/R

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 04:37 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default OT - Jaguar XK/R

I'm in the process of looking for a replacement DD for my Audi S4 and the short list includes:

Audi S5
BMW 335 Convertible
BMW 650
MB E550 Coupe
MB CL550

Today I drove a Jaguar XK coupe and totally fell in love!

Anyone have any experience with the new Jaguars, especially the XK/R?
Old 08-31-2010, 04:49 PM
VMXWinn
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My brother has an 02 XKR Cab and loves it. It is not his daily driver but he does put the miles on it. It has been very reliable for him and nothing drives like a Jaguar. I have often thought about buying a coupe for my wife as it would be perfect for her, auto, comfy etc... and I can have fun driving it too!
Old 08-31-2010, 05:04 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Yup wonderful when they are working. They look good, but some of them had overheating/headgasket problems and if the nickel comes off the cylinder wall it's a 10k fix.

But if you are looking at MB 550s it can't be any worse than that to up keep.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:09 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Maybe you're looking for something a little different to the old S4 but if you're considering the S5 that would be my choice. I drove one when they first came out. Heavy car but has the power to shift. The Audi interior's are unsurpassed IMO.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:15 PM
porschemikeandnancy
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, can't resist my annual rant about any UK car. A friend with an old E-type invited me to a local Jaguar club meeting held at the local Jaguar dealership one weekday evening. This was years after Ford claimed they had "fixed" all the electrical gremlins which I am convinced has been in English car DNA since the 40's.

The meeting was superbly organized by the dealer. Classical music (a three piece string quartet no less!), wine, canapes, all the trimmings. The dealer specifically told the Jaguar club they wanted to host the meeting as an opportunity to let the Jaguar club know of the "new age" at Jaguar (under Ford).

So I am walking around the place and in the service area was an almost brand new XKR convertible. The entire dash had been taken out of the car. So I asked one of the dealer techs what the story was on this car. He said: "the radio wouldn't work - and it is turning out to be more complex than we thought".

I smiled as I walked away thinking (as the French say): Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.

Sorry, if someone gave me any high end British car as a gift, I'd sell it before attempting to use it as a daily driver.

I'm curious, why are you getting rid of your S4? I've heard that these cars also can have electrical gremlins - bad coil packs, other maladies.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:08 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 95 Posts

My father has had 3 Jaguars ('95 XJ6, '96 XJR, '04 XJR) and the last two have been especially reliable...although the air suspension sometimes deflates if left sitting for a day or so. I'm thinking it has a slow leak or defective compressor.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:15 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

I just sold my 96 XJR earlier this winter.. It was a great car and I cant really say that I had any trouble with it.. really.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:27 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I've owned Jag's ever since 1997. Never have had any major problems. I think those "problem issues" are overblown. Just bought one of these bad boyz 2 months ago:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...lio/index.html

http://www.insideline.com/jaguar/xj-...portfolio.html
Old 08-31-2010, 08:31 PM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Got my first jaguar [v8] in 1967; have had 8 since and my daily driver is a jaguar [v8].
had no particular problems with any of them.
highly recommended - especially the later models.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:52 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's interesting how people either have excellent experiences or horrible experiences with either Audi, MB, or Jaguar. I've had great experiences with MB and BMW (while friends have steadfastly refused to buy another BMW or MB.)

I always figured it must just be luck of the draw. I say just get the car you prefer and forget the reliability stuff. Seriously, it seems like all makes have issues these days. I guess you could play the odds and figure which brand might have less issues reported than others, but you can still get stuck with a bad sample. I know a few people who will never buy a Lexus again if their life depended on it.

I drove the XKR several months ago. A beautiful car, imho. And it handled well and was quick enough. I didn't like the JaguarDrive (the pop-up rotary selector), I found it weird and not intuitive. Also the touch-screen interface was awkward. And it's really only a two-seater, the rear is super tight. Otherwise a nice choice.

The CL is a beautiful looking design too, and supremely comfortable but heavier (feeling) than the Jag. A very safe and good highway cruiser. The Jag seemed easier to toss about, imho. The Jag is a car that's not very common on the road and has a more sporty GT feeling than the CL. The CL has a better motor (very smooth NA V8) and is more the cruiser type car with its ABC suspension. The E550 coupe is not in the same league as the CL (the CL is really an S Class.)

I'm not a big fan of Audi's chassis dynamics nor their interiors (they're too busy looking and I don't like the materials; yes, I know I'm in the minority for saying that.) So, I can't really comment.

Can't go wrong with either the XKR or the CL, imho. As to reliability, well I hope you draw the right cards.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:41 AM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I appreciate everyone's input. To clarify, I'm looking at 2010 and 2011 versions of all these cars (except for the CL where I'm looking at 2008+ CPO versions).

I’m looking to replace the S4, not for any specific reason, but because it’s “time” to get a new DD. This may occur in the next 6 months – I take a while to choose my new DD, especially as I spend so many hours in the car on a daily basis (45-60min each way, almost entirely highway plus possibility for return trips due to "call"). I have no need for 4 doors, but do have the need to haul a mountain bike on occasion. I refuse to buy an SUV as a DD – I’m the only one in my household and have no need for a giant kid-hauler. While the Cayenne GTS was a consideration for a while, it finally and totally eliminated itself with Porsche’s inability to incorporate Sirius as part of any of its current stereo systems (without significant and difficult aftermarket expense). When I purchased the Audi, I also purchased lifetime Sirius and now “cannot” live without it, especially with the long daily drive.

The Audi S5 is nice & very similar to what I currently have. The seats are the BEST out of all these cars, and the interior ergonomics are excellent. The problem, other than the similarity with what I currently have, is that the aluminum detail that is in the cars now "cheapens" the car & ruins a very nice interior significantly (my current S4 has a carbon fiber trim that really matches the interior) plus the exterior lines, while sexy, are a little bulky, and a non-retracting sunroof seems like a design flaw to me. My S4 has been pretty error-free except for a nagging “burning smell” on start-up, especially with short drives – a transmission seal was replaced on warranty, and the 3rd radiator (?) was replaced for a leak at the low cost of $900 immediately post-warranty. Coils have fallen under a factory-recall.

The BMW 3series is a nice car, but compared to all the others, seems “cheap” (especially on interior finish) and handles in a “twitchy” manner. My impression is that it is the lightest of the bunch, and handles accordingly. I used to own one (2002 330CiC, and loved it, but lost it in a divorce and therefore there are some “past” associations with the car). I also do not know if I want another convertible. However, it is a very nice car, and has the best mileage of the bunch, a considered advantage given the miles I put on a car daily. The service agreement with a new one is also beneficial. Plus, there are aftermarket hitch-attachments made for the 3-series. It’s also the least expensive of the bunch.

The BMW 6series handles like a GT cruiser, and has very upscale accoutrements, but looks, on the interior, no different than the 3series. Did I mention that I’m in the “I hate the I-drive” category? Also, I despise the “Bangle-era” look on the outside and can only hope that the 2012/13 refresh improves the lines.

The MB E550 is honestly the leader due to size, cost, “what I’m looking for in a car”, and mpg. Plus, it does not seem that “out of place” to add a hitch-post to the car. The acceleration is feisty, handling is crisp, and overall finish is nice. However, there is something lacking. The exterior lines don’t totally work for me, the interior seems a little “plasticky”, & the seats aren’t that great (especially coming out of the S4). But, the price is nice, mileage is good, and they are not that common (unlike the 3series).

The MB CL series is amazing with excellent finish and I love the lines on the car. However, they are outrageously priced, the command system is intrusive, and in many ways they feel “too big” for me – almost boat-like while driving. In addition, the doors are huge! However, as a DD, with only the 993 as another vehicle, there is a ton of trunk room/ ability to haul multiple bodies (a joke!).

The Jaguar XK/R is gorgeous inside and out. It drives like a GT cruiser, and has many luxurious features. The service package that is included is BMW-like, the finish is amazing, acceleration excellent in the 2010/11 XK (I can just imagine what 520Hp is like for the R!), and I like the touch screen. However, the car is relatively impractical and I almost cannot envision putting a hitch on it, plus, as mentioned, Jags do not have the best history for low service needs and they depreciate like a rock ($20k in the first year!).

Those are my impressions to this point. If I had endless money, and ability to store 3 vehicles, I’d probably keep the S4 until I replaced it with a small crossover for the Lowes runs/ mountain bike trips, and get another impractical car (I put the 993 in that category) as a DD – think 997/ MB SL/ Ferrari…

Last edited by DocTock993; 09-01-2010 at 12:01 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:27 AM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DocTock993

The MB E550 is honestly the leader due to size, cost, “what I’m looking for in a car”, and mpg. Plus, it does not seem that “out of place” to add a hitch-post to the car. The acceleration is feisty, handling is crisp, and overall finish is nice. However, there is something lacking. The exterior lines don’t totally work for me, the interior seems a little “plasticky”, & the seats aren’t that great (especially coming out of the S4). But, the price is nice, mileage is good, and they are not that common (unlike the 3series).
fwiw, I have an E63 but the last MY of the previous body style. The E550 is a good all around car with a great V8 and comfortable suspension. But it's not as precise handling as the Jag, imho. The steering is a bit numb. The new E63, on the other hand, is a much better handling car. Nonetheless, the E550 makes for a decent and safe highway cruiser. But I agree with the new body style; I'm not very attracted to it either. In addition, they did some noticeable cost cutting esp on the interior bits and pieces. It's unfortunate and was part of my reason for buying a last of the previous design E63. Although the new coupe is a bit nicer looking than the sedan, imho.

Quick Reply: OT - Jaguar XK/R