I've got a disease, and the only cure is more cowbell... or a 993 track car

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 07:09 AM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 95_993
From SNL skit...
Dickinson (played by Christopher Walken) warns Frenkle (Will Ferrell) not to tone it down too much, as they're "gonna want the cowbell on this track."
Ohhhhhhh of course. That's where the cowbell reference originated but your memory of the details is impressive. Gonna have to watch it again to catch that line.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:12 AM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Patfat
IMO this car is the best deal. Wish I were looking

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=24812
I know. I want it.

Also talked to Hinkle an Thatcher about their cars. It ain't easy!
Old 08-26-2010, 01:08 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 870 Likes on 573 Posts

evan fullerton's car listed here?
Old 08-26-2010, 01:23 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A few truths...

Hi guys,

you don't know atr911 as well as I do. Let me explain a few truths he did not mention in his post...

1. Although he IS faster than me in his 997, his PSM is eating rear brake pads faster than Takeru Kobayashi on a hotdog! He needs to find out if he can REALLY drive.

2. His girlfriend likes mine better!

Please somebody buy his 997 so he can get a real Porsche.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:24 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Cars and pricing are all over the map. The RSA ad has actually brought a serious someone from here into the picture for the yellow car. Why sell, right? Look what else is around, like Evan's. So you can go from a ready, but will need mechanical refurbishing car like my RSA for low $20s..........through a wheel-to-wheel car (and all the care and feeding that requires)...........to a car like JFord's that has low mileage and the transmission, but a basic suspension that will fold up once you're past a novice on track..........to the cost-no-object of my faux RS with a $25K 3.8 and nearly every suspension trick in the book. (Where those misc. RSAs fit in the picture I have no idea, as it seems there's a lot of parts thrown at them with no real goal.)
Old 08-26-2010, 02:37 PM
cohare
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Patfat
IMO this car is the best deal. Wish I were looking

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=24812
I would agree, wish it was for sale when i got mine, instead I dumped 15k+ into mine (dont get me wrong I love my car) and still short the tranny work. Couldnt ask for a better track 993 car that is still streatable...
Old 08-26-2010, 03:22 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by cohare
I would agree, wish it was for sale when i got mine, instead I dumped 15k+ into mine (dont get me wrong I love my car) and still short the tranny work. Couldnt ask for a better track 993 car that is still streatable...
Chris,

Nice to meet you at Summit. FYI, my car is still tagged and streetable. Motons ride better than Bilsteins, too.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:39 PM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Paul902
Hi guys,

you don't know atr911 as well as I do. Let me explain a few truths he did not mention in his post...

1. Although he IS faster than me in his 997, his PSM is eating rear brake pads faster than Takeru Kobayashi on a hotdog! He needs to find out if he can REALLY drive.

2. His girlfriend likes mine better!

Please somebody buy his 997 so he can get a real Porsche.

LOL it's true, except for the burning out brake pads. Just tires

Originally Posted by race911
Cars and pricing are all over the map. The RSA ad has actually brought a serious someone from here into the picture for the yellow car. Why sell, right? Look what else is around, like Evan's. So you can go from a ready, but will need mechanical refurbishing car like my RSA for low $20s..........through a wheel-to-wheel car (and all the care and feeding that requires)...........to a car like JFord's that has low mileage and the transmission, but a basic suspension that will fold up once you're past a novice on track..........to the cost-no-object of my faux RS with a $25K 3.8 and nearly every suspension trick in the book. (Where those misc. RSAs fit in the picture I have no idea, as it seems there's a lot of parts thrown at them with no real goal.)
Where is the add for "Evan's" car?

I agree, there is a HUGE difference between all the cars out there. DHinkles 993 with a 3.8 and cup type gear box is going for mid $50's and then there's the completely stock cars going for sub $25K. I think I'll be looking for something reasonably well setup for between $30-35,000. I would eventually like to do a 3.8 though, and I'm sure that isn't a cheap ordeal...
Old 08-26-2010, 03:42 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 689 Likes on 489 Posts

No question the addition of Motons would shave a few tics off lap times in my 993. I feel the need, however, to note that I would far from embarrass myself in the red group in which I ran/run....even with the Pss9's.

Would I be faster with the Motons? Yes.

Could I still be faster than I am with the car as it sits? I have no doubt.

Sell off the PSS9's, ad the motons and you're still well under $40K.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:06 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by atr911
LOL it's true, except for the burning out brake pads. Just tires

Where is the add for "Evan's" car?

I agree, there is a HUGE difference between all the cars out there. DHinkles 993 with a 3.8 and cup type gear box is going for mid $50's and then there's the completely stock cars going for sub $25K. I think I'll be looking for something reasonably well setup for between $30-35,000. I would eventually like to do a 3.8 though, and I'm sure that isn't a cheap ordeal...
It's in the classifieds. Funny, just got off the phone with him.

Originally Posted by jford
No question the addition of Motons would shave a few tics off lap times in my 993. I feel the need, however, to note that I would far from embarrass myself in the red group in which I ran/run....even with the Pss9's.

Would I be faster with the Motons? Yes.

Could I still be faster than I am with the car as it sits? I have no doubt.

Sell off the PSS9's, ad the motons and you're still well under $40K.
It's more than bolting on Motons (or your choice of race shock). There's all that rubber that needs to come out, and the uprights, etc. Honestly, I'd stay with a Bilstein/shock package from a known suspension expert, and you'll be 98% of what's possible out of the car.

But back to the price scale, for ~$40K you have my full tilt 3.8 car. But it's 993 apples-and-oranges as a car like yours is low miles and nice for the street. My yellow car is out on the edge of things, and best suited for street only in a pinch.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:16 PM
atr911
Burning Brakes

It's just about what they buyer is looking for.

Especially with modified cars. You really can't assume that modification "x" is worth anything to any buyer because to one person it may have value, and none (or a negative value) to another. It's more about the package. If you're looking for a track car, you want a truly track ready car. If you want a street car, you want minimal, if any, modifications. Of course there are all kinds of buyers out there who will pay a premium for almost anything.

For a seller it all come down to how badly you want/need to sell and how long you're willing to wait. Sure you can leave a car at the same asking for months and months but I believe this will only work with VERY unique asking cars with a very small market.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:20 PM
atr911
Burning Brakes

It's more than bolting on Motons (or your choice of race shock). There's all that rubber that needs to come out, and the uprights, etc. Honestly, I'd stay with a Bilstein/shock package from a known suspension expert, and you'll be 98% of what's possible out of the car.

But back to the price scale, for ~$40K you have my full tilt 3.8 car. But it's 993 apples-and-oranges as a car like yours is low miles and nice for the street. My yellow car is out on the edge of things, and best suited for street only in a pinch.
Can I get a screen name? I haven't talked to any Evan and wouldn't mind taking a look at the ad
Old 08-26-2010, 04:38 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Jamie's car is a great example of a car that can spend most if its life on the street car but can be very, very potent on the track. The PSS-9's are no match for Motons, but that does not make them terrible dampers, either. Evan's car is an example of a pure track-only weapon. My car would be a good example of a car that can spend most of its life on the track but can be somewhat streetable for fun runs and weekend blasts through the countryside. It has been prepared almost to the hilt for G class (Piper cage, Motons, TRG sway bars, gutted interior, AC delete, Recaro HANS Pro racer driver's seat, Recaro Pole Position passenger seat, G2X data system, radio system. Needs SPA fire system to be installed when I have time) and would be very desirable for anyone doings DE's or with aspirations to run in G or H class.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:39 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by atr911
Can I get a screen name? I haven't talked to any Evan and wouldn't mind taking a look at the ad
https://rennlist.com/forums/for-sale...o-28k-obo.html

Do a search on his name for all threads that he has started.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:50 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 689 Likes on 489 Posts

I've thought that, regarding the motons. Looked into a package but don't think I'm hands on/meticulous enough to deal with the adjustability.

I played around once with my TRG bars at Cups/Saucers (lots of open track time) and ended up frustrated. I'd rather trust a good race shop to set me up once and forget about it.

I agree with you point regarding the bushings, etc.

Quick Reply: I've got a disease, and the only cure is more cowbell... or a 993 track car