Sponsored by:

Cool Suit Trunk Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 08:16 PM
certz
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Cool Suit Trunk Install

For anyone that has installed their cool suit system in the trunk, how/where did you run your hoses. I have looked around a bit under the dash and as best I can along the fire wall and the only penetration I can find in the wiring harness. Is that where everyone is routing theirs? Pictures would be great if you have them.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:01 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I ran my lines along the driver's side. There's a spot above the clutch pedal that is perfect to run the lines. You'll have to drill a pilot hole to make sure you've hit the right spot. I used flex tubing to protect the cooling lines.

Good luck!
Attached Images             
Old 08-23-2010, 09:07 PM
certz
Rennlist Member

That is a nice install. It is a little hard to see, but it looks like after you drilled the hole you cut and bent the metal out of the way to make it big enough for the hoses. Correct?
Old 08-23-2010, 09:07 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Why not just mount that in the right seat? That's where my buddy puts his, and it helps keep the weight in the center of the car.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:54 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by certz
That is a nice install. It is a little hard to see, but it looks like after you drilled the hole you cut and bent the metal out of the way to make it big enough for the hoses. Correct?
The metal is not folded back; you're looking at some racers tape that I used as a "grommet" to protect the lines and wires from being cut. I used a Unibit/stepped drill bit to make the hole after I made the initial pilot hole.

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Why not just mount that in the right seat? That's where my buddy puts his, and it helps keep the weight in the center of the car.
Keeping it in the passenger compartment is certainly the easiest route. People often put the box behind the passenger's seat. If you're an instructor, you won't be able to use your cool suit if you put the box in the passenger seat. Also, in the event of a crash, that box will be a fun projectile once it comes loose (assuming it's held by the seat belts and not properly held down). Besides, I think most people would rather have ballast in the front of the car.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:18 PM
certz
Rennlist Member

Mark hit on the reason I am considering the trunk - more weight in the front. I have considered the passenger seat and behind the passenger seat, which I agree would be easier. But I would like it out of the way and providing more front ballast - as little as it is.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:24 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by certz
Mark hit on the reason I am considering the trunk - more weight in the front. I have considered the passenger seat and behind the passenger seat, which I agree would be easier. But I would like it out of the way and providing more front ballast - as little as it is.
No reason the mounting plate can't be steel, lead, depleted uranium . . .
Old 08-23-2010, 10:55 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
No reason the mounting plate can't be steel, lead, depleted uranium . . .
+ Lead makes a great "heat sink" to supplement the ice.

Mine routes same as Mark.... I drilled two 3/4 in holes side by side then filed them together into an oval. I believe the grommet was 1.25" but don't remember exactly.

Last edited by jscott82; 03-19-2014 at 09:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Cool Suit Trunk Install