Sponsored by:

iPod conversion about $30

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 06:35 PM
Priceless
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPod conversion about $30

after reading posts on here and having pm'd a lister, i converted my stock radio/cassette/cd changer (in frunk) to ipod today. cost about $30. i did it a little different than what has been posted. i used generic rca plugs from my cd changer with the other end plug connecting into my earphone jack of my iPod. this will allow me to use my ipod, itouch, iphone, or any thing with an earphone jack. however, as you know, this won't charge my ipod. i purchased a double cigarette connector to allow me to use my radar detector and phone charger at same time. sounds good and will work for me. thought i would pass this on...

however, my problem now is getting the rca plug from frunk to cabin...i don't have a lift so any suggestions on an easy way/place to push wire into cabin through firewall...specifics would really be appreciated considering it is about 102 degrees here in tulsa I have connected the ipod and this does work fine as long as you leave a cd in changer as previously posted by another lister.

if you need more details, let me know

thanks...rodney
Old 08-22-2010, 07:06 PM
TRM
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 65 Posts

There is a pass through from the front trunk to the cabin behind the glove box. To find it you need to get under the dash on the passenger side and look up. There is wiring coming into the car from the front fuse box. I recently managed to get some wires through there also for another project. I fed the wires down to the location from the trunk behind the fuse box. I then used a flash light and modified coat hanger to grab the wires and pull them through the firewall.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:20 PM
Akerlie
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or you could use this cable and plug it straight into your HU :http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini-ISO-Adapter...#ht_1200wt_913

(no affiliation)
Old 08-22-2010, 07:34 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Akerlie
Or you could use this cable and plug it straight into your HU :http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini-ISO-Adapter...#ht_1200wt_913

(no affiliation)
That only works with the CR and CDR-220. Not the 210.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:43 PM
Akerlie
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

right you are
Old 08-22-2010, 08:06 PM
Priceless
Racer

ilko, thanks for your help on the email. i decided to try the earphone jack so i could use all of my apple products...shuffle, ipod, itouch & iphone...there is no limits with this type of mod...only downside is i have to charge phone via lighter...not a downside for me though, just others i suppose. i guess you could hardwire the charger???...but don't think i will.

thanks trm, i will try that later
Old 08-22-2010, 08:57 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Yes, hardwiring the charger is very easy. Buy something like this, hook it up to the sunroof or rear spoiler switch (I never use either) and hide it behind the center console. I have both my GPS and iPod wired that way.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:31 AM
Priceless
Racer

TRM: thanks for the localization of the push through in the firewall, it REALLY HELPED ME. i completed the job tonight. the hardest part of this mod was fishing the wire through the firewall. anyway, now i am listening to my ipod and am extremely HAPPY i guess now i need to find a way to mount my ipod or maybe i will just leave it on my console???

ILKO: where do you pick up one of those adapters? i should be receiving my V1 radar detector in the mail tomorrow or the next day and may connect with one of those if it isn't too much trouble.

thakns for all the help!!!
Old 08-23-2010, 10:43 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

I got mine at Radio Shack because it looked nice, but it was a bit on the pricier side. You can get them online for dirt cheap just google "12v power outlet."
Old 08-23-2010, 12:23 PM
TRM
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 65 Posts

Glad I could be of help. Enjoy your new tunes!

Quick Reply: iPod conversion about $30