Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Even Better Window Switch Repair

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 10:49 PM
nr1416
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My passenger side switch went today, the window is down and I can't get it up from the drivers side switch either.
If I do this DIY will the switch work or is my switch shot and I need to replace it?
Old 06-10-2013, 11:58 AM
BLT
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Even though I did the DIY, I've decided that the switches are so cheap ($15) that I just carry spares. If you're still in the window down situation maybe swap out the passenger switch with a good one from the driver's side just to move the window. The switches just pop out. I use a butter knife to pry them out of their hole.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:03 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BLT
Even though I did the DIY, I've decided that the switches are so cheap ($15) that I just carry spares. If you're still in the window down situation maybe swap out the passenger switch with a good one from the driver's side just to move the window. The switches just pop out. I use a butter knife to pry them out of their hole.
Spare window switches...check
Spare DME relay...check
That's what the glove box is for
Old 06-10-2013, 02:05 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

You don't even need to drill a hole into the window switch. Just heat the nail up and push it through (i only did one side of the switch and did not go completely through side-to-side). When the plastic cools it will shrink slightly and tighten/grab the nail. Which you can then just snip and grind off to length.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:22 PM
NeufCentOnze
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just tried to repair my driver's side switch but no way because not only the little rotation axle tab was broken but one of the white actuator casings was also ruptured.
So now I have to spend a huge amount for a new switch...
Question: do I have to remove the door panel to put back the future new switch? If not how do I push towards the switch from inside the panel to reinsert the pins and finally put the switch back in place inside the door panel. Are the electrical cables long enough that I should be able to pull the connector out through the panel hole, then connect the pins and reinsert the now connected switch by simply pushing it in/ clamping it in by hand?
Chris
Old 06-30-2013, 04:04 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NeufCentOnze
Are the electrical cables long enough that I should be able to pull the connector out through the panel hole, then connect the pins and reinsert the now connected switch by simply pushing it in/ clamping it in by hand?
Chris
Yes. Not a lot of slack wire length, but just enough to do this, on my car.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:36 PM
f11
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make certain you have the key turned off so that power is not being applied to the empty socket before disconnecting and reconnecting window switches. While the driver/psgr window switches are identical and can be interchanged, the switches are keyed to only go in the socket one way. But its still possible for a wrong pin to go in a wrong hole far enough to make contact (don't ask)... if this happens, you'll probably blow the window fuse. In my '97 993 Cab, its fuse #4 under the hood, on the passenger side fuse box - with rating 30A. I now carry a couple extra 30A fuses in the glove box, in addition to the spare 30A in the fuse box spare slot... hey, things happen, and its easy to blow more than one fuse before you figure out what's wrong.

The switch design is a bit flakey IMO - if you break one of the plastic tabs shown above, the switch pops up a bit on one side of its bezel (as shown in the pictures) and doesn't operate the metal rockers properly, usually causing one of the rockers to flip sideways - and possibly cause a short that will pop the fuse. If you operate the switch when that tab is broken, its likely you'll either damage the white teflon (or whatever it is) plunger that works with the spring to move the rocker, or you'll cause the plunger to come out of the spring sleeve... at which time the switch will be jammed up and won't work at all.

If the passenger window switch dies on either side of the cabin, the other (good) switch won't operate the window. Don't panic!! The two switches are interconnected, so if one dies the good one won't work until you replace the failed unit. You may have to exchange the driver and psgr switches on the driver's door panel to figure out which switch failed, but usually a failure happens when its being operated, so its pretty obvious which one is dead. In my experience, when the switch fails, the window it operates will usually only work in one direction, if it works at all.

Rod
1997 993 Cabriolet
Old 06-30-2013, 06:22 PM
NeufCentOnze
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paul902
Yes. Not a lot of slack wire length, but just enough to do this, on my car.
Thanks Paul, will give it a try when the new switch arrives.
Chris
Old 07-27-2013, 07:56 PM
NeufCentOnze
Rennlist Member

To close the loop: I replaced the switch today. Easy to fit it back-in as indeed the wires are just long enough to reconnect outside the door 'socket'.
Cost of switch including VAT:50 Euros (66 USD). I told the shop that the price was definitely the reason I was trying to repair the old switch (besides the fun) but in this case it was unfortunately not repairable...

Last edited by NeufCentOnze; 07-28-2013 at 09:00 AM.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:58 PM
Silver993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the great DIY. I just repaired mine. In my case, a short piece from a wire shirt hanger seemed to be about the right size and I used a 5/64" drill bit.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:23 PM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought 4 switches (extra backup) but decided to try this DIY. It worked great and the switches are now sitting on my Porsche parts shelf.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:46 PM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

A very timely thread. My drivers side window switch did the side-way wobble break on my '97 C2S about a week ago. Except mine wouldn't work at all. Luckily it broke with the window up.
I purchased one of the $11.49 repro switches off Fleabay and it arrived this afternoon. Took all of about 60 seconds to swap out the broken one.
I guess I'd rather spend $11 then futz around fixing the broken one (but I'll keep it in case I get industrious). The repro switch looks and feels exactly like OEM,. I have to wonder if it's not the same manufacturer. Time will tell if it holds up, but at $11 and 60 seconds to replace it's worth a try.

Cheers.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:06 PM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read this awhile back and filed it away just in case. Today I needed it. Thanks for posting!
Old 03-30-2015, 02:45 AM
phoneyman
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Were these trolls here linking to old posts before IB bought Rennlist? I dont seem to remember them and they are starting to become annoying, especially when linking to bull****.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:28 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,448 Likes on 1,020 Posts
Default Repair thoughts replace the rocker Paddle

I did the same repair but used a nylon pin instead of a nail. My thinking was that introducing a piece of metal into an electrical switch is less desirable than plastic for safety reasons. With my repair the replacement pin sheared off in about two years. I was thinking that a new rocker switch for the earlier 911 - pre 1989 has a switch that shares the same rocker but can be had for $18. So if one wanted to they could buy the earlier switch pop off the bezel and use the new switch rocker-paddle to replace the one that is broken in the 993 switch.

Quick Reply: Even Better Window Switch Repair