Sponsored by:

Advice Needed/Bodywork Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 05:29 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

This sucks.

I see many folks saying never take your car there again; hire an attorney etc.

A few thoughts: You had a contract for $1160. They agreed to do the work for that, you agreed to let them do it at that price. If they forgot to charge for something, or did sub-par work, that's their problem. You are not legally responsible to pay a nickel more and they should continue to work on the car at their expense with no additional monies from you until they get it to the condition of work that you agreed upon in your $1160 contract.

And if they balk at that, then you need to pursue a small claims action or hire an attorney. But only at that point. You are much better off having them fix it until it's right at no more cost to you, if they agree to those terms. You should have never paid them anymore money than that $1160 either, but oh well.

You see, if you won't let them touch the car anymore and let them try to make it right at no additional cost to you, a judge in a small claims action will be less sympathetic to you. Of course, I'm not talking 20 tries, but once or even twice more to let them have at it would go a long way to getting this resolved in the quickest, best way possible. And if it's not resolved, at least to a judge you'd look like you pursued all recourse before you came to court, which judges love to see.

I hate body shops that suck and then wanna weasel out. But you chose them, now I'd say you need to see if they'll do the work to get it right at no more charges to you. If so, then great. Given enough time and attention, especially on their own dime, it should come out right hopefully. If not, then you need to open a can of legal whup-***.

But don't let your emotions get involved in making decisions that could weaken your legal case in court, like denying them, say, one more chance to get it right, at no cost to you. No doubt it would be the quickest, cheapest, least time/effort consuming and least amount of drama outcome you could hope for, that is, if they made everything 100% perfect on the next go.

Just something to think about, and good luck.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:38 PM
windydog
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

my buddy the "Angry Panda" fixed that car! He painted my car and did a great job. To bad he closed his shop. I told him, if he wanted to i would hire him where i work!
Old 08-20-2010, 06:27 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with the others who say walk away. It's not worth the headache despite the expenses already incurred. They obviously can't do the work no matter how much they try.

Just be sure to advertise to the world that their work sucks.

We've all got stuck trusting places that say they are pros, when in fact, they are amateurs learning to be pros on our cars.

btw, for those in the LA area, these guys are pros: http://www.aviocoachcraft.com/
Old 08-20-2010, 07:00 PM
Fünfer
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If they were to fix it for you at NO additional cost to you, you should give them another chance. That might go a long way if you needed to pursue legal action, later. If they don't agree to perform the work at NO additional cost to you, you have no choice but to go somewhere else.
Present them with a document and have them sign it up front, in which they agree to finish the job to your satisfaction at NO additional cost to you. You have already paid $1300+, which in itself was above and beyond the original quote. You have demonstrated that you are operating in good faith.

And "yes" take lots of pictures of how it looks right now, and after they are done.

Sorry to hear about all the troubles.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:15 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Bummer, Cactus. Tell the owners that you want a partial or full refund on what you paid. If they balk, mention that you plan on filing a complaint with the Pennsylvania Better Business Bureau and, oh look, you'll also post a review here (http://maps.google.com/maps/place?oe...43690676592191), here (http://www.manta.com/c/mmngz3l/horse...nterprises-llc), here (http://www.merchantcircle.com/busine...C.717-392-0599), here (http://www.superpages.com/bp/Lancast...0138843149.htm), here (http://local.yahoo.com/info-12048644...-llc-lancaster) and here (http://www.edmunds.com/repairshops/P....1.newOld.html). The BBB complaint may not scare them, but the yahoo/superpages/merchantcircle, edmunds, etc. postings should give them plenty of pause. You might also mention to them that all of your thousands of friends here on Rennlist who might be inclined to post reviews, too.

If that approach doesn't elicit the desired response from the shop, I hope you paid with a credit card. If you did, you can issue a chargeback from your bank. Bring your car in to two other bodyshops and have them issue statements attesting to the poor quality of the work, for you will need some sort of documentation so that the bank drone can fully understand why your complaint is legitimate.

Best of luck with these idiots.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:45 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Here is what Horsepower Enterpises' website asserts:

The company philosophy is to excel through a commitment to offer high quality products and services in an ultra-clean, attractive, customer and community friendly environment. Our business is conducted with the highest standards of integrity. Our staff is second to none when it comes to experience, knowledge of automobiles and restoration techniques, for products and their applications, for a genuine attitude of service to customers and an unflagging enthusiasm for the industry.
Horsepower Enterprises LLC offers a wide spectrum of vehicle repair services for your specialty vehicle. We understand that a special car requires special care when being serviced. Our staff is highly qualified to perform any repair needs, and we do so with the highest integrity and enthusiasm.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:49 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 545 Likes on 369 Posts

Cactus,

truly frustating.

I would:
remove the car from that shop
document and photograph everything
have it fixed right somewhere else and have it documented and photographed.
Take legal action to recover cost to fix it right
Old 08-20-2010, 09:59 PM
plymouthcolt
Instructor

They're Amish...they build wagons and barns and crap. What the hell do they know about PPG automotive coatings?
Old 08-20-2010, 11:08 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

You don't need to spend a lot with an attorney. The first thing a good one will do is send a letter. That works about 50% of the time. Second step is filing - that cost about $18 - you do it yourself. That works another 25% of the time. Now you have a 75% chance to get some good results with very little cash outlay.

Going to court is always a last resort...using an attorney and the legal system to your advantage is not. There are many steps between where you are now and going to court...use them.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:40 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 142 Posts

Thankfully they don't have the car...I do. There are really no other options besides the local Porsche dealer as it took me months to narrow it down to Horsepower. I really dread the day I need a new windshield or better yet a full respray......
Old 08-21-2010, 07:39 AM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Well, it looks like DonkeyPower has one happy camper:
http://www.horsepowerenterprisesllc....stimonials.asp

And hey, they own one of the world's most desirable cars:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmJ8AMxaI9E
Old 08-21-2010, 08:10 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by plymouthcolt
They're Amish...they build wagons and barns and crap. What the hell do they know about PPG automotive coatings?
Gold.

Originally Posted by Cactus
I really dread the day I need a new windshield or better yet a full respray......
Copy that.

Originally Posted by Canyon56
And hey, they own one of the world's most desirable cars:

"Maybe it can out-corner a trout?"

I just spilled my coffee.

Andreas
Old 08-21-2010, 11:44 AM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

If that YouTube video doesn't suit your needs, I think this one will. Be warned, it's got foul language, it's incredibly catchy, and is your new favorite song. Just play this over at Horsepower Enterprises:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAV0X...layer_embedded
Old 08-21-2010, 02:32 PM
ironimages
Three Wheelin'

Cactus:

Sheezzz, not again. Sorry to hear of this. I kinda wondered how many times these things can come on and off before having issues.

Must have been that road you drove us down in Elkins?? No?
Old 08-21-2010, 11:11 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

These clowns have already provided you a great disservice and have ruined your car and supplied parts. For the shop to not include paint in their estimate should have raised a red flag. That's just like a framing contractor giving you an estimate and no including the wall studs. File a claim against them for their inferior workmanship and warn others of this shop's incompetents.

Quick Reply: Advice Needed/Bodywork Issue