Sponsored by:

Tire Story

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 10:02 PM
nskd3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Story

I have been losing air from the rear tire (Dunlop 9000) for about 3 weeks now. I've been reinflating the tire every week. Tonight I busted out the OEM jack and took off the tire. Sure enough there was the nail...wait there's another and a plug from a previous repair from PO. Decided to run out to the local "tire barn" and try to repair the tire. Well when they went to remove the tire from the rim, the side wall got blown out. I didn't think they had to remove a tire to put a plug in it. So now I have no tire and I now need to buy at least 2 new rear tires. Since the rears had very low tread left and I have no idea how long these tires were on the car, I went with 4 new tires. I wasn't really prepared for this since I hadn't consulted the genies of RL and so on the spot went with the Hankook EVO V12 K110's. I've seen older posts that these were decent tires (definitely) not the top end. Does this still hold true? Well the tires won't be in until Saturday and I couldn't leave the car in the air with the jack, so I got to use the 15 year old spare. I guess we'll see if there is still air in it in the morning. Fun Times!!
Old 08-19-2010, 10:20 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 201 Posts

those will more than likely be my next set also.

Gotta love the price, and I have about 5 years experience with another Hankook tire. I have Hankook Ventus ST 295/40/VR20's on my truck...my second set of them. They were half the price of the Pirelli's I first put on, balanced better, handled/rode better, and lasted MUCH longer.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:36 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 287 Posts

They were correct in attempting to repair it by breaking down the bead from the rim. HP radials should be plugged with a special patch from the inside out. Only in an emergency should a normal plug be used from the outside in. Any punctures in tires used on track should not be repaired...period. BTW, Hankooks are good tires.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:47 PM
nskd3
Instructor

Thanks for the feedback on all. I'm glad I got a decent tire.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:14 PM
J.B.H.
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hankook evo's running them now ....great tire
Old 08-20-2010, 12:08 AM
jaa1
Rennlist Member

Hankook used to have a really bad reputation a long time ago..,

but they make a great tire now, as their higher end tires are made by Michelin..
Old 08-20-2010, 07:52 AM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm set to get these in a couple of months. My research says they are great tires. My only issue is whether to buy now or wait till next year because the vehicle will be stored from November to June. I don't want flat spots or damage new tires.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:37 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ble2011
My only issue is whether to buy now or wait till next year because the vehicle will be stored from November to June. I don't want flat spots or damage new tires.
Modern tires just don't flatspot like the used to. And this flatspotting is temporary. Once the tires have properly warmed up after your storage period, they should be fine.

One key is to properly store your car. Including over-inflation of the tires. IIRC the proper storage pressures are 58 PSI. Check your manual. I also slightly move the car, maybe 10-12 inches (by hand) the first Saturday of each month during winter hibernation. During the last month of winter hibernation, I do this ritual weekly until the first drive in Spring. No flatspotting ever.

Quick Reply: Tire Story