Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Soap,
What's the word, son?

Andreas
Old 08-14-2010, 09:59 AM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 62 Posts

After recently spending an afternoon installing mine, and the images fresh in my brain, I think that since it still shifts, the forward bars (goldenrod, etc) are still in place- I think it's one side of the guide tube and it has come off the plastic bushings. easy fix.. Chris is right..

C/
Old 08-14-2010, 11:51 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Michaelc
I experienced the same unusual slop when I installed my FDM Golden Rod/Short shift kit. I purchased the FDM kit to tighten up my shifter/linkage, etc... as my 95 cab now has 95k on the clock and the shifter was clunky, notchy, etc... After buying the kit I put the car up on stands and began my Golden Rod/Short Shift mod. Much to my surprise after removing the trans tunnel I found a B&M short shifter installed and being held on to the forward rod only by the rubber boot around the shifter, rod, linkage, and so on. I removed the B&M shifter, it is a nice piece, very stout, but mine was loose becuase the previous owner did not remove the bushings, clips, washers, etc... from the original shifter and install the on the B&M as needed. This is why my shifter was loose and imprecise, that and the fact the dust boot was holding the whole thing together. i installed the FDM setup, but without the bushings, washers, clips, and so on becuase I didn't have them and it was actually worse than when I started. Beyond that, my guide tube bushings were falling apart as well.

FDM to the rescue. I traded many emails with Mark at FDM and it took awhile because some of these small pieces came from Germany, but he got me all the rubber pieces, clips, bushings, washers, guide tube bushings and so on I needed to rebuild the sifter properly. I'm happy to say I finished the job this morning with the parts FDM supplied. I thought it felt good on the stands and it was obvious all the slop was out of the shifter, but I was amazed at how the gear shift, trans linkage, and shifting action was transformed when I drove the car for the first time. I'm certain it feels better than when it was new. Hats off to FDM for such wonderfull pieces for our cars.

I post this because having read the problems with the slop I'm not sure what pieces were transferred to the Rothsport sifter, but like mine, if the small stuff wasn't transferred or simply wasn't available to be transferred you will have a tremendous amount of slop in the shifter. All those little rubber washers, bushinges, washers, clip, etc... are what make the whole thing tight. Best of luck in diagnosing the cause of the slop. Call Mark or Darin at FDM and they will set you up with what you need to tighten the shifter up.
Thank you for the kind words Mr. C
And I think you pretty much nailed it

Andy and I talked yesterday and I believe we have it figured out.

We (FDM) need to do a DIY guide for our SSK with the Rothsport lever... it installs a bit differently and it isn't clear what pieces are reused or not with this lever.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:27 PM
simpsoap
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry for the delay, been a little busy.....After speaking with MarkD and checking the original parts I had in the basement, it appears as though I was a dumbass! I completely left out the white bushings and the two flat washers as well as the wavy washer. Going through the box in the basement, I was only able to come across two white bushings and assumed I left the other two on the core I sent back to FDM. MarkD was kind enough to put two of them in the mail to mail on Saturday, and they arrived yesterday!!!

After reinstalling everything, shifting is now nice and tight, and is AWESOME! thanks again to the great service I've come to expect from FDM.

Those who are curious, I've attached a pic of the shifter from underneath the car, and you can clearly see the gap I have. This was all taken care of with the use of the two bushings, two flat washers, and wavy washer.

Pics below:

I left out parts 6, 7, and 9....

Andy
Old 08-18-2010, 09:17 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by simpsoap
Sorry for the delay, been a little busy.....After speaking with MarkD and checking the original parts I had in the basement, it appears as though I was a dumbass! I completely left out the white bushings and the two flat washers as well as the wavy washer. Going through the box in the basement, I was only able to come across two white bushings and assumed I left the other two on the core I sent back to FDM. MarkD was kind enough to put two of them in the mail to mail on Saturday, and they arrived yesterday.
Soap,
Good job. Amazing how the absence of these thin sleeves can translate into so much play at the shift ****.

Simple geometry.

Andreas
Old 08-18-2010, 12:17 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Great to hear it's all worked out Andy. Yes, you need to be sure and reuse all of the bushings when installing an FDM/Rothsport SSK. Since you were the first one that purchased our FD Motorsports/Rothsport SSK, we didnt have any instructions for you to follow. Sorry about that!
Old 08-18-2010, 06:12 PM
ande5000
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Darin: Can the stock leather shift boot be used w/ a Rothsport shifter, or is a different one needed?
Old 08-18-2010, 06:34 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes same boot can be used but if you have the std mushroom design it will require cutting. The boot is held in place using a zip tie.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:32 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ande5000
Question Darin: Can the stock leather shift boot be used w/ a Rothsport shifter, or is a different one needed?
Yes, as stated above you must cut the original **** off. Then fold the edge of the boot back inside and put a small cable tie on the inside to hold it. That gives it a nice finished look. We also have an FDM/Rothsport lever now available with the bottom like the original FDM/Rothsport shifter, but the top is the same as the factory lever. You can reuse your original **** and boot on that one.
The original FDM SSK uses a modified factory RS SS lever that also takes the stock ****/boot.

Quick Reply: Possible Rothsport Shifter Issue