odometer/trip odometer broke-help on miles

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 12:33 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default odometer/trip odometer broke-help on miles

Took my 993 to my mechanic to have plugs/plug wires replaced. Although I trust the man implicitly, I have picked up the habit of recording mileage when I drop off any car when I have work done. As I was pulling down the road to his shop, I looked at my odometer and watched it move to 47434 miles and trip odometer settled at 16.8. They were both (odometer/trip odometer) working when I pulled into the shop.

Paid my bill and got a receipt with mileage recorded on the receipt. Mileage was 47434 which made sense because I parked the car in his shop, at his lift, and that is where the car was when I picked it up. My speedometer worked on the way home but odometer/trip odometer were not working. Drove approx 6-7 miles home and mileage on the odometer was still 47434. Car is parked now and I'll be removing the speedo to get it fixed. Don't want to put any more miles on it.

I know I can this fixed (NH Speedometer) but my question is how does a potential next owner know I haven't been driving around for two years like this? Altho I never intend to sell the car, never say never. My receipts will include a receipt for fixing the speedo because that is the way it is supposed to be done. Full disclosure.

But as a potential buyer, I would be skeptical. This would be a natural reaction. Am I just kind of out of luck because this happened? I'm guessing my car just lost a lot of value. Any ideas? OBDII doesn't havea mileage record does it? If so, I can prove the car is less than 10 miles off. But I've never heard anyone mention that OBDII has mileage.

I'm not that upset (because of intent to keep the car) but I never wanted this to happen.

Any suggestions?

On to the search feature on how to remove the speedo.

chuck
Old 08-18-2010, 01:35 AM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Its definitely NOT your mechanic's fault. This is a very common problem. Searching for "odometer gear" will give you lots of info. For example, plenty of good links in this post with the DIY link, as well as the link to Odometergears.com, which is the place to get the parts for DIY:
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...t-working.html

As for the missing mileage, I guess any broken odometer means TMU....True Mileage Unknown, but on these cars, this is a very common problem with age as much as miles, since the gear deteriorates due to the material of which it is made. Buyers will find plenty of them with this "issue". Full disclosure at sale shouldn't scare a buyer....a dishonest seller wouldn't even bother mentioning it.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:49 AM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Hey Chuck, Keith's right. I had this happen and did about 2 tanks of gas before I fixed it (figure 400 miles?). The gear is relatively easy to replace. The replacements are available here: http://www.odometergears.com (no aff). I remember there being one problem gear that I replaced, but I went ahead and replaced two gears that they sold (I think it was a total of $50 for the gears).

There are two parts of the replacement that are difficult. The first is actually getting the bezel off of the speedometer. You have to go around and pry the bezel off and it seems to take forever. After having some trouble trying to get the needle off, I called the odometer gear guy (who was very nice). He said NOT to try to remove the needle and that I should be able to wrestle out the odometer mechanism. THIS was difficult as well. You feel like you're going to destroy the whole thing, but alas it turned out okay. I wouldn't be afraid to do it again. The only caveat I have for you is that the back side of the speedometer bezel gets messed up from having to pry the thing open. So if someone were to pull out your speedo and look at it from the back, they'd know that it had been opened up. I don't really care because like you this one's a keeper, and even if I had to, I'd never sell it to someone who would be offput by the unattractiveness of the back side of a speedometer. I don't know if you sent it to NHS if it would be any different, you'd have to ask them. Good luck whether you DIY it or send it out!
Old 08-18-2010, 03:11 AM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gonzilla
I don't know if you sent it to NHS if it would be any different, you'd have to ask them.
FWIW, I recently had the clock from my '87 Carrera repaired at Palo Alto Speedometer and the repair is undetectable, despite the fact that they had to remove the bezel to get at the internals. I started to open it myself but it quickly became apparent that it'd look like crap when I put it back together so I opted to have the pros repair it. I guess I'm one of those oddballs who does care what the back of his gauges look like
Old 08-18-2010, 03:20 AM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by logan2z
FWIW, I recently had the clock from my '87 Carrera repaired at Palo Alto Speedometer and the repair is undetectable, despite the fact that they had to remove the bezel to get at the internals. I started to open it myself but it quickly became apparent that it'd look like crap when I put it back together so I opted to have the pros repair it. I guess I'm one of those oddballs who does care what the back of his gauges look like
Yes, it would be very easy to screw up the bezel so it looks bad from the front when doing the removal. Its not hard to do it right as well....gentle and slowly does it. As you allude to, the pros have the tools to properly replace and clamp the bezel around the gauge of course so your backside looks like new...
Old 08-18-2010, 10:32 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Chuck, I wouldn't worry about it myself. You'll have the receipt with the mileage dated and another with the date of your odometer repair which will show you had it fixed shortly. If you waited 2 yrs. to get it repaired that would be another story.

And I would most definitely NOT report it as "True Mileage Unknown" for this type of problem, you're just asking for trouble there. I WOULD disclose to any future buyer about the repair but also state you had it repaired so shortly after discovering the failure.

Again, don't sweat it. I'm eagerly awaiting this year's Palooza run and I'll be happy to let you flush out the cops again this year!
Old 08-18-2010, 03:38 PM
tbil
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wouldn't worry about it as well, such a common failure. Just keep the documentation.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:28 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're really worried fix the odometer right away and then after it's fixed take the car in again for a very minor service so you can get another, updated mileage record. That and the previous records showing your typical driving pattern should placate even the most critical future buyer.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:41 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Its definitely NOT your mechanic's fault. This is a very common problem. Searching for "odometer gear" will give you lots of info. For example, plenty of good links in this post with the DIY link, as well as the link to Odometergears.com, which is the place to get the parts for DIY:

I didn't mean to imply that I thought it was my mechanics fault. He's a great guy. Very honest and knowledgeable about lots of 911 models. He has always treated me right. Thanks very much for the links. Great info.

Hey Chuck, Keith's right. I had this happen and did about 2 tanks of gas before I fixed it (figure 400 miles?). The gear is relatively easy to replace. The replacements are available here: http://www.odometergears.com (no aff). I remember there being one problem gear that I replaced, but I went ahead and replaced two gears that they sold (I think it was a total of $50 for the gears).

Thanks Mike. I'm garnering up the courage to tackle this on my own.

I'm eagerly awaiting this year's Palooza run and I'll be happy to let you flush out the cops again this year!

I ordered a V1 within 24 hours of returning from Eureka Springs last year!

Wouldn't worry about it as well, such a common failure. Just keep the documentation.

Good to know. Thanks!

I guess I'm one of those oddballs who does care what the back of his gauges look like

Logan, your cars are so nice, I understand completely!

If you're really worried fix the odometer right away and then after it's fixed take the car in again for a very minor service so you can get another, updated mileage record. That and the previous records showing your typical driving pattern should placate even the most critical future buyer.

Great idea. I want this properly documented. I'm due for an oil change soon. If I bring the oil and filters, my mechanic charges me one hour labor ($60). Heck of a deal.

Thanks to all. I really appreciate it.
chuck

Quick Reply: odometer/trip odometer broke-help on miles