Removing Targa Roof Seal

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 05:27 PM
paulhollands
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Targa Roof Seal

Hi,
I noticed a bit of corrosion down the side of the roof seal shown circled in the attachment and want to treat it. Anyone have an idea if these are glued in or simply pushed in place? Have tried pulling it out, but not sure if I just need a bit more force or its just going to tear out and therefore will need to be replaced.

Thanks
Paul
Attached Images  
Old 08-10-2010, 01:51 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Carefull...its more complicated than it looks.

The seal is actually hollow, and carries water that might leak from the front visor. The water is drained into the door seals, runs inside the door seal down the front of the door and drains out over the rocker panel.

To remove the seal, you need to take all the inside lining (side and front pieces), undo the two bolts that hold the roof to the windshield frame, remove the top portion of the door seals to disconnect the drain spigots from the seal, remove the hold down tabs that hold the drain spigots to the window frame, and then you are getting close to a position to remove the seal. There are also other bolts that are behind the visor that hold the roof to the frame...cannot remember if you need to remove them to take the seal out.

Oh, you also have to remove the front visor glass, but not the large glass section. That is pretty obvious.

They are not glued in by the factory, but I glued mine in just to make sure the seal was good when I took the top off the car (long story).

Check out www.pcarworkshop.com, go to the 993 section, and there is lots of documentation and the TSB's for the targa roof. That might help.

I have see corrosion on this part of the roof several times now, I think the roof does not go through the same galvanizing process as the body (since its manufactured by Westabo). The water tends to sit and soak at the top of the seal, and over the years its becomes a problem. The same goes for the rear seal, stuff gets underneath and plugs the drains.

Oh, you should replace the seal if you remove it. Its likely you will tear the tabs that help to drain the water (you will see what I mean), and the rubber will be compressed since its been on the car for years.

Did i scare you yet? :-)

Cheers,

Mike
Old 08-11-2010, 04:01 PM
paulhollands
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Mike; a very comprehensive reply. Sounds like I need to buy a new seal and wait for the winter months when I can take my time to tackle that one in the garage.

Thanks again.
Paul

Quick Reply: Removing Targa Roof Seal