I wish Eric & his family all the best.

Eric, speak with you soon. Take care.

Regards Rich
Old 08-11-2010, 02:00 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Canyon56
The ones we got with the GB were "real" silver crests made from OEM gold crests.
fwiw, here's the description:

[I]Silver Hood Crest Kit ( Porsche 911 Carrera & Boxster )
This Kit comes with the Silver Crest, Rubber Gasket and Mounting tabs (All Genuine items). You are looking at our refinishing service for the hood crest. Because Porsche will not allow anyone to manufacture these items we can only sell it as a service. Hence we are selling this "as a service only".
I bought one through the group buy and I completely understood that it was an original gold grest that had been re-plated silver which, it turns out, adds just enough thickness to the original badge to make it extremely hard to get the rubber underseal on. After destroying the one that came with the badge, I drove to Sonnen Porsche and bought a new seal and they installed it (for free, imagine that ...) using a rubber lubricant (don't go there..) and still had to struggle to get it on. The tech who said he puts them on all the time said he thought it was because of the extra plating thickness. FWIW, I just bought another factory underseal for my stock gold Cabriolet hoodbadge and replaced it with no installation issues at all, slipped right on the badge with no problem.

Originally Posted by Allen
ok...I'll say it...why on earth would anyone put a silver crest on their car...??? That's like getting a BMW roundel with red/green/purple/silver & white instead of blue & white. If it ain't blue & white...it ain't a BMW roundel...and if it ain't black & gold...it ain't a Porche crest...besides...IMO...I think it looks horrible. There...I said it...
Because, IMHO, on a white car, the gold badge looks like this ...

Old 08-11-2010, 02:00 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
I think I'm gonna go with the fact that some people find gold to be a little too gaudy. Also, for many cars it's the only gold piece on the car, so from a styling stand point, it sticks out like Mr. T's gold-plated sore thumb.

I would imagine that most people don't even know the Porsche crest is always gold, as evidenced by this thread.

Personally, I prefer platinum to gold, but Porsche doesn't make a platinum hood crest either
I'd think twice about a platinum crest. Next time you're around a Rolex dealer ask to see their platinum President Day/Date watch. The watch is solid platinum and heavy as hell!
I believe Titanium would be the preferred material.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:52 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

[QUOTE=JPP;7807462]I bought one through the group buy and I completely understood that it was an original gold grest that had been re-plated silver which, it turns out, adds just enough thickness to the original badge to make it extremely hard to get the rubber underseal on. After destroying the one that came with the badge, I drove to Sonnen Porsche and bought a new seal and they installed it (for free, imagine that ...) using a rubber lubricant (don't go there..) and still had to struggle to get it on. The tech who said he puts them on all the time said he thought it was because of the extra plating thickness. FWIW, I just bought another factory underseal for my stock gold Cabriolet hoodbadge and replaced it with no installation issues at all, slipped right on the badge with no problem.

Same problem here. I bought a silver crest years ago and the rubber seal/gasket was to small to go around the crest. Even took it back the supplier (no longer in business ) and they could not get the gasket to fit. I have put the seal in boiling water to try and make it more plyable but it still won't go on. Any suggestions?
Old 08-11-2010, 02:58 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

[QUOTE=Bradford;7807600]
Originally Posted by JPP
I bought one through the group buy and I completely understood that it was an original gold grest that had been re-plated silver which, it turns out, adds just enough thickness to the original badge to make it extremely hard to get the rubber underseal on. After destroying the one that came with the badge, I drove to Sonnen Porsche and bought a new seal and they installed it (for free, imagine that ...) using a rubber lubricant (don't go there..) and still had to struggle to get it on. The tech who said he puts them on all the time said he thought it was because of the extra plating thickness. FWIW, I just bought another factory underseal for my stock gold Cabriolet hoodbadge and replaced it with no installation issues at all, slipped right on the badge with no problem.

Same problem here. I bought a silver crest years ago and the rubber seal/gasket was to small to go around the crest. Even took it back the supplier (no longer in business ) and they could not get the gasket to fit. I have put the seal in boiling water to try and make it more plyable but it still won't go on. Any suggestions?

You could try a hot gun to make the gasket malleable and assuming the crest then fits, apply some adhesive to the back of the crest to keep the two parts in place.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:03 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Bradford
Yeah, that's the way I destroyed the underseal that came with mine as well..
The dealer that installed mine used a rubber lubricant to get it to finally go on. The factory underseal is cheap (a couple of bucks, IIRC) but it's better, more pliable rubber than the aftermarket one that came with my silver badge. I've had good luck using Aerospace 303 preservative as a lubricant to get other seals on the car like the ones that go around the base of the sidemirrors. It immediately makes the rubber more pliable and helps to make the rubber slip onto and grip the metal edges.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:55 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah it's not easy installing it with the new gasket. There is a trick using blue tape that was posted during the group buy. Also it's just easier to use the existing gasket. I was in the shop having the car attended to for something else and my mechanics said they'd put it on, no problem. And they did it easy with no charge and apparently no big effort.

I feel a bit torn between staying "true" and original and going back to the gold badge or keeping the silver. But of all the car manufacturers, Porsche's crest/logo is probably the most ornate or 'gaudy' imho.

And I agree that it somewhat depends on the color of the car. Gold looks fine on a black car, for example. But on a silver car it does stand out, imho.

It's subjective and each to their own. After all, we do things like putting Turbo spoilers on non-Turbo cars, or split grilles on non-'98 CS2s, 996 3-spoke wheel, etc.. And speaking of steering wheels, what about the silver crest on the airbag? Some come with silver crests, right? And according to RLer's they're preferable. Are they factory....?
Old 08-11-2010, 04:22 PM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 184 Posts

Yes, the air bag with crest is clearly shown on PET as available in gold or silver, 2 different part numbers. Thats a complete airbag, the crest is not available on its own......

I think the silver badge looks the muts nuts on a silver car.........
Old 08-11-2010, 09:30 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 911PERVY
I think the silver badge looks the muts nuts on a silver car.........
O.k., that's a keeper. If it weren't for Brits, I'd have no really funny sayings at all .....
Old 08-11-2010, 10:58 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen
ok...I'll say it...why on earth would anyone put a silver crest on their car...??? That's like getting a BMW roundel with red/green/purple/silver & white instead of blue & white. If it ain't blue & white...it ain't a BMW roundel...and if it ain't black & gold...it ain't a Porche crest...besides...IMO...I think it looks horrible. There...I said it...
Cuz its the squirrels nutz!
Old 08-11-2010, 11:41 PM
RDS928S
Banned

Received 709 Likes on 316 Posts

WTF,

where do you get those freakin varments?
Pa. woods?

Rich
Old 08-12-2010, 03:45 AM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 432 Likes on 207 Posts

I have a silver crest - and will take some shots tonight...

I also have an OEM gold one - and a faker - the faker looks TERRIBLE!!

But i also have a Black badge.......

Matte Black Custom is the way we roll down here
Attached Images  
Old 08-12-2010, 09:06 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Cactus
Cuz its the squirrels nutz!
Mad funny!

Originally Posted by Full Boost
But i also have a Black badge....... Matte Black Custom is the way we roll down here
Beautiful! Is that a real one? Does it have a Porsche part number cast into the rear? Where can I get one?

Andreas
Old 08-12-2010, 09:23 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Beautiful! Is that a real one? Does it have a Porsche part number cast into the rear? Where can I get one?

Andreas
LOL!!
Old 08-12-2010, 12:42 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
I heard some goofball made it with a roll of electrical tape and a magic marker.

As a TV editor, I've had a whole bunch of weird looking stuff on my hood....but nothing like this....but if you & simon like it - go for it. hope price was minimal!!

Quick Reply: Silver hood crest FS