Sponsored by:

Silver hood crest FS

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 07:50 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

I'll stick with the assertions I made in post #5.......

Andreas
Old 08-10-2010, 09:03 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I rock a diamond encrusted platinum badge. There is no substitute.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:26 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzilla
I rock a diamond encrusted platinum badge. There is no substitute.
Baller.

Andreas
Old 08-10-2010, 10:11 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Baller.
Step to this, Dawg.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:14 PM
RDS928S
Banned

Received 709 Likes on 316 Posts

Eric,

Thanks so much for clarification amongst all the "so-called" wisdom.
So does this mean I did well selling my "homemade badge" for $175.00?

Can't wait to see my silver non-smoker delete console for Boxster S.

Regards Rich
Old 08-10-2010, 10:51 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RDS928S
So does this mean I did well selling my "homemade badge" for $175.00?
Since it was the real one that may not, in fact, actually exist, you should have tried using Sotheby's instead. Oh well, your loss and someone's gain.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:22 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Canyon56
There was a discussion on 6speed about Porsche never having made an OEM silver crest for any car. I have yet to find any pics of a factory silver crest or any car that came with one(?) And yes, someone mentioned the "millennium" 996. But it had a gold crest with a silver "911" (which Pervy refers to)

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/a...crest-new.html

"This has been hashed out over and over. There has never been an OEM Silver hood crest. Some companies use a replica hood crest then finish it. The good ones use an OEM gold badge and refinish it. The reason everyone is charging more is that Porsche has increased the cost of the OEM Badge. Dealer cost on a hood badge (OEM Gold) it is around $120 including gasket and nuts. The guys refinishing then have to add materials and labor. It used to be around $60 for OEM badge. So you can see how this has affected the market. I wonder if Porsche did this on purpose to minimize the silver badges out there."

I imagine there are some complete knockoffs of the crests (gold or silver) and those are the ones being sold for cheap. And then there is probably a quality variation between refinished OEM ones (assuming there is more than one person doing this refinishing.)

The ones we got with the GB were "real" silver crests made from OEM gold crests. They were only $100 for the GB because it was before the major price increase on the OEM gold crests. Now that's all changed, and you can't buy them for less anymore. The same ones we got are now $200.00 from the same vendor.

fwiw, here's the description:

Silver Hood Crest Kit ( Porsche 911 Carrera & Boxster )
This Kit comes with the Silver Crest, Rubber Gasket and Mounting tabs (All Genuine items). You are looking at our refinishing service for the hood crest. Because Porsche will not allow anyone to manufacture these items we can only sell it as a service. Hence we are selling this "as a service only".

We have plenty of cores in 110% condition; you can return your old crest in for a core credit of $5.00 which is included in the price. We can ship this item out immediately and we will give you 30-days to return your core should you ever wish to return it.

If you don't think the quality is by far the best in the industry send it back no questions asked, no restocking fee, only cover shipping.
Good to see someone else hasnt had the wool pulled over their eyes...

You have it spot on Caynon

There has never been a silver hood crest, all the ones out there, whatever the quality, are gold ones that have been chromed, nickelled or silvered.

Some venders are honest and do list that in their adverts (like the one Caynon highlighted) some make up complete bollocks to justify the huge price they are asking for them

The original "inventor" of this silver hood crest was stopped by Porsche from producing them pretty soon after conception some 5 years ago, I suspect the vender in the said highlighted advert has had the same contact from Porsche and this is why he has worded his advert so, ie; core unit, service etc

In the UK the hood crest is £80 from Porsche (996 559 211 01) extremely good OEM ones are available for about £24, I have had both next to each other and there is no difference

Porsche has used many companies to make the hood crest over the years, hence the slight variations

I tell you what Eric, if you can furnish me with the porsche part number that will result in the Porsche factory being able to supply (or even acknowledge) a silver hood crest I will donate $500 to a charity of you choice, OK?
Old 08-11-2010, 05:39 AM
Cristel993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911PERVY
Good to see someone else hasnt had the wool pulled over their eyes...

You have it spot on Caynon

There has never been a silver hood crest, all the ones out there, whatever the quality, are gold ones that have been chromed, nickelled or silvered.

Some venders are honest and do list that in their adverts (like the one Caynon highlighted) some make up complete bollocks to justify the huge price they are asking for them

The original "inventor" of this silver hood crest was stopped by Porsche from producing them pretty soon after conception some 5 years ago, I suspect the vender in the said highlighted advert has had the same contact from Porsche and this is why he has worded his advert so, ie; core unit, service etc

In the UK the hood crest is £80 from Porsche (996 559 211 01) extremely good OEM ones are available for about £24, I have had both next to each other and there is no difference

Porsche has used many companies to make the hood crest over the years, hence the slight variations

I tell you what Eric, if you can furnish me with the porsche part number that will result in the Porsche factory being able to supply (or even acknowledge) a silver hood crest I will donate $500 to a charity of you choice, OK?

Must say, I'm with you on the lack of difference in quality between OPC vs. OEM badges.

I think Kids In Need would be a great charity. It's for young goats you know.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:54 AM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll just add that everyone in the GB knew that these were OEM gold badges that were refinished. They had the same part number. They were very high quality, btw. And I assume everyone else knows this too, it's not a surprise. I'll also add that at least in the US, the price for the OEM gold badge has jumped up a lot (check Pelican Parts, e.g.) and so the silver ones have risen accordingly. But yes, there are vendors fabricating the entire badge itself.

I'd do find it odd if Porsche would ever part from the gold and red. The badge is the design and colors of the coat of arms of Stuttgart and also the State of Wurttemberg. It would be almost akin to emphasizing a French specialty product but substituting the tricolors with white, green and black. It makes no sense, imho.

fwiw, here's a good overview called the Origin of the Porsche Crest: http://sqa.pca.org/crest.htm
Old 08-11-2010, 06:14 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Again I agree with Canyon, it just pisses me off when some vendors try and con people and spread BS in the attempt to justify their price on a part.................
Old 08-11-2010, 09:14 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Come on Eric, step up thats $5500 !!!!
Old 08-11-2010, 10:44 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi 911Pervy and Geolab:

Please go easy on this for a couple days. I just learned that Eric is dealing with a very recent family issue. I am sure were will hear from him in a few days. Just an FYI. Thanks.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:07 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Hi 911Pervy and Geolab:

Please go easy on this for a couple days. I just learned that Eric is dealing with a very recent family issue. I am sure were will hear from him in a few days. Just an FYI. Thanks.
OK, thanks for the heads up, info taken onboard..........
Old 08-11-2010, 11:46 AM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ok...I'll say it...why on earth would anyone put a silver crest on their car...??? That's like getting a BMW roundel with red/green/purple/silver & white instead of blue & white. If it ain't blue & white...it ain't a BMW roundel...and if it ain't black & gold...it ain't a Porche crest...besides...IMO...I think it looks horrible. There...I said it...
Old 08-11-2010, 12:26 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen
ok...I'll say it...why on earth would anyone put a silver crest on their car...??? That's like getting a BMW roundel with red/green/purple/silver & white instead of blue & white. If it ain't blue & white...it ain't a BMW roundel...and if it ain't black & gold...it ain't a Porche crest...besides...IMO...I think it looks horrible. There...I said it...
I think I'm gonna go with the fact that some people find gold to be a little too gaudy. Also, for many cars it's the only gold piece on the car, so from a styling stand point, it sticks out like Mr. T's gold-plated sore thumb.

I would imagine that most people don't even know the Porsche crest is always gold, as evidenced by this thread.

Personally, I prefer platinum to gold, but Porsche doesn't make a platinum hood crest either

Quick Reply: Silver hood crest FS