Sponsored by:

How often should one wax a car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 01:16 PM
plymouthcolt
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How often should one wax a car?

I don't have a garage so I washed my car often. At least once a month and several times during the month in sprein/summer.

I would wax the car monthly and a friend who owns a 993 said I was "overwaxing" and harming my paint. (I use Meguiars synthetic.)

Any thoughts?
Old 08-08-2010, 01:23 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Unless you were careless in your washing/waxing/buffing and introducing swirl marks, I'm hard-pressed to see how you were hurting the paint. I'm not aware of any chemical basis for wax hurting the paint. I'm just speculating, though - perhaps others here know otherwise.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:31 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

^ + 1
I believe your friend is referring to the fact that anytime you wash/wax your car, you introduce the possibility of scratches...such is the nature of washing/waxing.

You can minimize it by proper prewash, foam guns, boars head brushes, microfiber mitts, sea sponges, dual wash buckets, etc...but anytime you move something across a surface, you introduce scratches.

That having been said, on my (non Porsche) daily driver, based on a recommendation from the Detailing/Concourse forum, I tried Collinite 845 and was impressed. It should last 5 months, so for a daily driver it was a good choice.
So far it has held up well, went on easily and came off easily.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:40 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I love washing and detailing my Porsches. The key is good technique and the proper tools and supplies. There have been years that I have waxed my car over 20 times during the summer. Not as often now, but still 3-4 times per year for each car.

Our "Detailing & Concours" forum is excellent. Looks of good help and smart guys over there.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:06 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a friend who is a professional painter/detailer. He says you can not overwax. I agree with what others say above...don't mess up the finish before you wax.

Quick Reply: How often should one wax a car?