993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garage Burglary Made Easy...OMG.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010 | 11:19 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Default Garage Burglary Made Easy...OMG.

Hope this is not an ENZO...someone sent it to me..

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=CMz1tXBVT1s

Technology is so wonderful; how to break into a home in less than 6 seconds with audio/visual aids!!

Please look at your garage door and make it SAFER.

I took the pull string off of ours and zip tied the lever up to the slider. Now you have to cut the zip tie in order to release the lever.
Old 08-05-2010 | 11:24 AM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Thanks for posting. I need to reassess my security. Perhaps wrapping wire around that latch will prevent access. At least I don't have windows to let see what they're doing and to scope out the prize inside. Nutz
Old 08-05-2010 | 11:41 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

My garage door has a deadbolt in the middle with two steel beams connecting to the frame on each side of the door. Good luck picking that with a wedge and a hanger.
Old 08-05-2010 | 11:43 AM
ryano
Burning Brakes

uhhh... wow. I never even considered this before. thanks for posting...
Old 08-05-2010 | 11:48 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ilko
My garage door has a deadbolt in the middle with two steel beams connecting to the frame on each side of the door. Good luck picking that with a wedge and a hanger.
My garage opener is like the one shown. I'm going to try and pick it tonight.
Old 08-05-2010 | 11:49 AM
sbarracl
Racer

I had to "break into" my garage last year, except I wasn't as sophisticated as the guy in the video. I came home after a weekend excursion and the garage door would not open (turned out the circuit board on the opener had failed). And wouldn't you know, I didn't have a house key on the 993 ring (I do now). So my choices were to either call a locksmith to get me in the house ($$$$ and unknown wait) or pop out a window on the garage door and grab the string to unlatch the door ($ and immediate). Being the thrifty, impatient fellow that I am, I used the lug wrench from the tool kit an broke one of the panes on the door. $5 at a local glass shop and good as new.

After watching the video, I'll definitely zip tie the release.
Old 08-05-2010 | 11:53 AM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Obviously doesn't take a brain surgeon. Door openers are pretty much all designed this way. Hopefully there are holes in the latch for a padlock to prevent this sort of thing from happening, but I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't.

For all the security features we put around the rest of the house eg motion sensors, dead bolts, window locks etc, its scary how easy someone can get in if they really wanted to.
Old 08-05-2010 | 11:56 AM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sbarracl

After watching the video, I'll definitely zip tie the release.
Zip ties would be fairly easy to cut. I would use something a little more resilient especially if i had windows and the perps can see what they're dealing with.
Old 08-05-2010 | 11:59 AM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

I have a spare house key in a combination lock box cemented into the structure of the house. I've lost count how often that has saved my butt. Its so easy to get into the habit of using the switch inside the garage to close the door behind me, only to later find out I left the house without the clicker.

Had I seen this video I should have just stashed a wedge and coat hanger in the bushes........
Old 08-05-2010 | 12:09 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Just tie wraped them, thanks.
Old 08-05-2010 | 12:30 PM
speedbump2
Racer

Electric garage door openers are strictly for convenience, not security.
Even without tripping the safety release, most can be forced open by pushing the top of the door up and in(the direction it goes when opening) and then lifting from the bottom. This damages the mechanism, but if you're breaking in to steal stuff, what do you care if you break the opener?

Ilko's solution is much better than relying on an electric opener, but those locks are defeated rather easily as well.

When I go out of town, I put a padlock through one of the holes in the garage door track so that the door roller can't pass. It's a little inconvenient, but effective.
Locking with a padlock is similar to this nail in the track:

--Chuck--
Old 08-05-2010 | 12:33 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

The locksmith has spoken

That's a good idea Chuck!
Old 08-05-2010 | 12:44 PM
SMehder
Instructor

Another way to protect the pull string would be to put a guard in from on the latch, that would not allow a wire to attach it, but would still allow a direct pull from below. Put a half of PVC (large) pipe, or half a coffee can, or something that would prevent accessing it from outside.
Old 08-05-2010 | 09:33 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
My garage opener is like the one shown. I'm going to try and pick it tonight.
I tried both my doors this evening and there's no way you will be able to get a wire hanger in there...easily. I'll still use the zip ties....
Old 08-05-2010 | 09:49 PM
Dan V
Race Car

The burglars can just open my door. They might even live to enjoy the loot, if they're fast enough.

Quick Reply: Garage Burglary Made Easy...OMG.