Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Any experience with lightweight batteries?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 04:22 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 125 Posts

Subscribed. Will these work with a regular trickle charger like ctek?
Old 12-28-2016, 01:38 AM
milrad
PS Armorer
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 57 Posts

I have a Shorai lithium in my Panigale 1299S. Super light weight and works great. It holds a charge much longer than even the Odysseys in some of my other bikes. Lithium requires a special charger though...and I use CTEKs on everything else FWIW.
Old 12-28-2016, 02:20 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts

For the Earthx, they provide a listing of suitable chargers/maintainers. I have the ETX24C and it's been great down to 40f with triple starts. To go with any other battery that doesn't use on-board cell management is ridiculous. You're risking a fire in a compartment with a tank and brake fluid.

No, no says I.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:44 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Giving one of those few months update..... I can report my car has turned over each and every time in 40f or greater weather. If I'm away for over month, I'd disconnect and put on a B&D charger (type BM3B). As for terminal ends, the kit includes some extenders (for our larger clamp style) to mount away from the battery due to its own terminal design. Regarding mounting type and where, I just used the existing partition with some flat 1/2" metal band (the stock you find at True Value with the holes present) that sandwiches the battery to then be bolted down where the old one used to rest.

If you need more info, feel free to pm.

Michael
Old 05-19-2018, 04:57 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

I just wanted to update this thread. My EarthX is still going strong after many, many turnovers. If you’re thinking about a lightweight battery, do it right and get some onboard battery management built in.

I’d like to preface my “40 degree starts and higher” in my previous posts. I live in NorCal and that’s as cold as it gets. If I did live somewhere colder, simply turning on the cabin fan for a few minutes would cause that battery to heat up and give you a nice start.

Last edited by Sword_of_the_Spirit; 05-20-2018 at 03:22 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:29 AM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

How about Your waist? Lots of 993 owners could lose the weight of a standard battery without too much pain!

Edit: Just noticed that this solution was already mentioned above!

Last edited by Railmaster.; 05-21-2018 at 06:25 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:53 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

True, but when you need a new battery, why spend it on a regular AGM when for $75-100 more you can have 2lb Lithium
Old 08-09-2018, 07:05 AM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 125 Posts

https://shop.antigravitybatteries.co...omotive/rs-30/

just saw saw this one pop up in an add. Anyone try it yet? Could be great or could just be marketing.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:04 AM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GBX

just saw saw this one pop up in an add. Anyone try it yet? Could be great or could just be marketing.
Scott from Antigravity batteries has been very active on rennlist (site sponsor) from what I have read of his posts he is very upfront, responds to questions openly and honestly and doesn't get into pissing matches. If his batteries are as good as he communicates and promotes they should be good. I have been looking for a light weight option for along time and based on what I have read and investigated I will most likely go with an Antgravity (Haven't bought as yet)

Steven
Old 08-09-2018, 12:48 PM
INTMD8
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by GBX

I have the older version (rs-20) in my F355.

All good except it tripped the low voltage switch at the drag strip. Reset after about 10 minutes and started like it had full power. (so kind of seems like it too easily trips the low voltage cutoff switch)

Can sit for about a month with no charger and still start.
The following users liked this post:
Zeichen 282 (10-31-2019)
Old 08-09-2018, 03:56 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 979 Likes on 543 Posts

HI all,

Scott from Antigravity Batteries here.... if you guys are interested in Lithium Batteries I'm glad to answer any questions in full detail. All we do is Lithium Battery products. from Starter Batteries used in World Class Racing to the Daily Drivers.... which means all Motorsports and Powersports and beyond. We also were the first company to introduce the mini Jump Starters back in 2013 and have sold just under a million MICRO-STARTs since that time. So we know lithium batteries inside and out.

As I said I will be glad to answer any questions, but I can also point you to a recent thread we have had going for the last 2-3 months discussing every aspect of Lithium Batteries.... It was on the GT3 Forum area and it pertains to all cars using Lithium. You can read it here.... https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...for-2-gt3.html it gets very indepth at times also. So if you read it you will be very well versed on Lithium Batteries.

To give you some basics on lithium batteries.... most of the batteries that people had mentioned above are lithium batteries with an application oriented more towards Powersports and Motorcycles, though they are using them in their cars.... and that can absolutely work fine but does require a little more monitoring because these smaller models have a lower Amp Hour than a dedicated Auto Battery. So a smaller lithium battery, especially in more modern cars can overdischarge quickly due to the extra electronics and computer systems on board in a modern car. So be watch full of that. We have tons of people using the Smaller Batteries in daily drivers... but it isn't the best application unless you are willing to monitor the battery a little more. But for Track and Racing they are a massive weight saving product at a fraction of the cost of other weight saving products. For example 15,000 to lose a few pounds with Carbon Fiber or Titanium... a few hundred dollars to lose 40 lbs with battery change in 10 minutes....

Anyway I wanted to show you an Automotive version of our Lithium Batteries called the RS – 30 that was released earlier in the year. I put a video below so you can check it out and learn what it does. What differentiates our Antigravity Battery products from other brands is that we offer a specifically automotive battery but additionally it has protections built in that many other battery makers do not offer and these protections will NOT allow you to accidentally over discharge and damage the battery or overcharge and damage the battery. At this point in time they are the most technologically advanced batteries you can buy for Starter Battery applications. Additionally our line of RE-START batteries has a reserve capacity so that in case you left your lights on or did something to accidentally discharge the battery, the battery will actually monitor its voltage and put itself to sleep before it is fully over discharged and leave you enough reserve capacity to start your vehicle and drive away again. You would just press the "restart" button located on the battery and start your car again without having to put it on a charger, or jump start it, or get assistance. Its very cool.

So if any of you have any question feel free to ask. I will speak in facts only and of course though we sell lithium batteries I will not over-hype or lie about our products or try to bash competitors. . For those wanting the benefits of Lithium such as lightweight, more power, and something cool like the RE-START feature then the benefit of lithium are great... but if you don't need ultra lightweight, or drive your car in close to freezing temperatures often, then lithium may not be the best option. But I can give you the actual facts and educat you about them so you will be able to make an informed choice.

Old 08-09-2018, 03:58 PM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack Ennuste

Odyssey ER 40 caught my eye, specially 27 LBS weight. What do You think about these reduced weight batteries. Beside swapping heavy electric seats to raacing seats, this should be second considerable weight-gaining point?

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/er40.htm
Sunroof delete and rear wiper delete after that...
Old 08-09-2018, 11:10 PM
fatmike
Three Wheelin'

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts

How would a lithium battery do in a car with an under drive RS pulley?

/
Old 08-12-2018, 01:51 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 979 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by fatmike

/
Sorry I can't answer that question with full accuracy because I don't know if you under-drive is effecting the overall charging output to the battery. What I can tell you is I "assume" it is not dramatcally effecting the charge to the Battery but if the charging voltage is pushing at around 13.8 to 14v.... you would be fine. Optimal is going into the 14.6v range but it would not really be required if you hitting 14v with your under-drive pulley. If you have any other questions let me know.

Old 08-13-2018, 01:21 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by fatmike

/
I have the RS pulley and run with a Voltphreaks battery. Absolutely no issues staying charged, and dropped 40 lbs. of dead weight. I don't even use a trickle charger anymore - I just turn the battery off. Look for the on/off feature in whatever lithium battery you buy.

Quick Reply: Any experience with lightweight batteries?