Last battery charger you'll ever buy!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 02:17 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 680 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by uscarrera
Does it work on Optima batteries?
Not unless it has a voltage mode to do so, and from the looks of the front panel of the one that is displayed...it does not appear to. That isn't to say it will not charge all batteries, it just does not do so as it should.

The CTEK on the other hand has a 14.7V mode which is used for specialty batteries and for charging in colder temperatures.

The Xantrex Truecharge 2 line is quite impressive for the money. I am testing and verifying manufacturer's claims at the moment on the 20A model. Not for everyone at just over $200 on-line, but a very competent do-it-all charger.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:51 PM
SMehder
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck W.
+1; I having been using Battery Tenders for several years now without complaint.
How tight do you have to close the hood to turn off the luggage light? From what I can tell, unless the hood is latched the light stays on. What is your arrangement?

I have a Battery Tender on my 912, and it is no problem to leave the hood slightly open, but don't want to burn the light on the 993 all the time.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:57 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 738 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by SMehder
What is the difference between the "simple" and "more advanced"? Does this have a cigaarette lighter connection? I believe the hood lid has to be completely closed on the 993 to turn off the hood light. Correct. How does this compare to the Battery Tender.

I'm not trying to slight your product just doing some comparison and question regarding technology.
There's actually a simple connection kit that allows you to semi-hardwire this unit. That way, you simply use the quick-connects and not have to worry about anything.

As for the simple vs. the all-in-one, the all-in-one has features that allow you to test the battery, voltmeter, lcd display, and test electrical system as well. If all you need is a nice charger, go with the standard model.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:58 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

How tight do you have to close the hood to turn off the luggage light? From what I can tell, unless the hood is latched the light stays on. What is your arrangement?

I have a Battery Tender on my 912, and it is no problem to leave the hood slightly open, but don't want to burn the light on the 993 all the time.
You can manually close the hood latch with the hood open. This will turn the light out. Then stick a rag (or something similar) in the latch that will remind you to pull the lever to release the latch before you close the hood.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:35 PM
SMehder
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FisterD
You can manually close the hood latch with the hood open. This will turn the light out. Then stick a rag (or something similar) in the latch that will remind you to pull the lever to release the latch before you close the hood.
Thanks. Any pictures on this? I don't remember seeing it.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:35 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

I bought a cigarette lighter connector from Radio Shack. I can plug it in to the cigarette lighter and close the door on the cord without issue.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:34 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isn't this just a "re-inventing the wheel" kind of thing again?
Old 08-05-2010, 04:38 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Canyon56
No...this is the next-generation of chargers that are more advanced than what's been offered in the last few years. I'm not sure if there's another products that offers the features, convenience, and technology of the unit we're promoting at the value being presented here.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:47 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
No...this is the next-generation of chargers that are more advanced than what's been offered in the last few years. I'm not sure if there's another products that offers the features, convenience, and technology of the unit we're promoting at the value being presented here.
I do understand.

My post was tongue-in-cheek. After all, it's a just battery tender. Kinda like a wheel.

Good luck with the promo and sales. If my current CTek bites the dust, I'll take a look at this one.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:49 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks. Any pictures on this? I don't remember seeing it.
Here you go.
#1. Hood latch
#2. Push it closed with your finger, this will turn light off.
#3. Rag reminder, so you don't try to close the hood all the way with the latch in the closed position.
#4. Remove rag and release latch before closing hood after charging.
Attached Images     
Old 08-05-2010, 05:08 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great tip, Darin; thanks!

Now I can put the bulb back in.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:16 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 680 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by Canyon56
That it is.

I went to the Granite Digital site to get some indepth information. They don't have any other than make claims. Looking at their claims, sorry but

This is nothing new except for fancy packaging.

I think I'll have some fun with them and e-mail them with some technical questions.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:22 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

We're currently at 4...this is a combined sale between our clients, 6speeders, and rennlisters. Thanks for your support folks!
Old 08-05-2010, 10:24 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by IXLR8
That it is.

I went to the Granite Digital site to get some indepth information. They don't have any other than make claims. Looking at their claims, sorry but

This is nothing new except for fancy packaging.

I think I'll have some fun with them and e-mail them with some technical questions.
Alex, with all due respect, chill out. This is a solid charger that has been proven to work. As with anything bought from Glistening Perfection, there's a 100% Money Back Guarantee that is iron clad. For the price, I'm not sure anything else on the market can compete with it. If you want something more textbook, then the $200 model you suggested might be a good option.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:25 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Not unless it has a voltage mode to do so, and from the looks of the front panel of the one that is displayed...it does not appear to. That isn't to say it will not charge all batteries, it just does not do so as it should.

The CTEK on the other hand has a 14.7V mode which is used for specialty batteries and for charging in colder temperatures.

The Xantrex Truecharge 2 line is quite impressive for the money. I am testing and verifying manufacturer's claims at the moment on the 20A model. Not for everyone at just over $200 on-line, but a very competent do-it-all charger.
Of course it can and it automatically adjusts for Spiral Jell Technology. As a matter of fact it adjusts itself to a small motorcycle battery or a motorhome with 4 batteries in parallel... no switch needed.

Quick Reply: Last battery charger you'll ever buy!