Last battery charger you'll ever buy!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 03:08 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 738 Likes on 390 Posts
Lightbulb Last battery charger you'll ever buy!

We met up with the creator of Save A Battery at an event in Central California a few months back. I was so impressed with his presentation, passion, and knowledge, that I knew this was a product my clients would enjoy. Watch the videos and pick up a charger for the non-daily driver in your stable.

Once we pass the 10 unit mark, we'll include the carrying case and extra long cables at no charge. That's a $25.00 value.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFIbl...layer_embedded

Order Here

Promotion Ends 8/12/10
Old 08-05-2010, 03:19 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Is the price $69 or $99?
Old 08-05-2010, 03:22 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by FlatSix911
Is the price $69 or $99?
It depends on which model you get. The simple charger is $69 and the more advanced all-in-one is $99. Most go with the aio since it's a better value with the testing feature and its ability to rejuvenate old batteries that may be ready to scrap.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:48 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 658 Likes on 320 Posts

Does it work on Optima batteries?
Old 08-05-2010, 07:20 AM
exKing of Fitz III
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$82.70 on Amazon
Old 08-05-2010, 07:31 AM
Jack Ennuste
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pretty happy with my Ctek MXS 7000 intelligent charger
http://www.ctek.com/EN-GB/consumer/mxs-7000.aspx
Old 08-05-2010, 08:49 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by uscarrera
Does it work on Optima batteries?
Yes; it works on all battery types. They even make them for boats, rv, motorcycles, etc.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:51 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by exKing of Fitz III
$82.70 on Amazon
True...but this special INCLUDES the carrying case and extra long cables; this makes it a better VALUE than what's on amazon. The $82.70 assumes you have a prime membership. You'd also be supporting a rennlist sponsor instead of amazon seller
Old 08-05-2010, 09:01 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jack Ennuste

I'm pretty happy with my Ctek MXS 7000 intelligent charger
http://www.ctek.com/EN-GB/consumer/mxs-7000.aspx
There are many choices when it comes to these types of chargers. If you're happy with yours, and the 7000 is a good one, then that's all that matters. The ctek you mention sells for around $125, so it's a bit more than the save a battery.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:43 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 680 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
I was so impressed with his presentation...
As salesmen, they are usually good at that. As someone who is evaluating battery chargers for the military, I've heard a lot of promises and claims.

The voltage cutoff at which a battery is charged depends on temperature and battery type. Most chargers do not have features to allow one to make any selection or adjustments.

A good battery charger should have temperature compensation where a thermocouple is attached to the battery, normally the battery post. The vast majority of chargers do not have this feature. There is a world of difference in charging voltage between a battery being charged at 32F and 100F.

Then there is a difference in charge voltage if you are charging an FLA, GEL, AGM or PbCa battery...all battery types used in our applications, depending on which one you buy.

The surest way to long battery life is to never let the battery sulphate and that is prevented by having a good charging system on the vehicle and by keeping the battery properly charged during non-use in the off season.

My batteries have lasted 16 years (still going in the vehicle with the new owner at 20 years) and the one in my present vehilcle is now 11 years old. They've never been charged except by the vehuicle's charging system...they are daily drivers though. Of course in Tx, Az or anywhere else that it is extremely hot, you might get a few years out of them.

I've been using manual battery chargers as well as Optimate IIIs to maintain my motorcycle batteries. I recently bought a CTEK MULTI US 3300 because it has features that are useful.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:52 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

The battery testing feature on chargers like this is another joke. My Optimate has that as well. Any Open Circuit Voltage test to determine a battery's state of charge is a preliminary test, but not a guarantee of battery performance...not even close.

The true test of a battery's State of Health is verified by performing a "Load Test" and a "Capacity Test".

For those wishing to delve deeper into battery theory, the following Technical Manuals are very informative...

East Penn Technical Manual

YUASA Technical Manual (easier read)
Old 08-05-2010, 10:17 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by IXLR8
The battery testing feature on chargers like this is another joke. My Optimate has that as well. Any Open Circuit Voltage test to determine a battery's state of charge is a preliminary test, but not a guarantee of battery performance...not even close.

The true test of a battery's State of Health is verified by performing a "Load Test" and a "Capacity Test".

For those wishing to delve deeper into battery theory, the following Technical Manuals are very informative...

East Penn Technical Manual

YUASA Technical Manual (easier read)
Since I'm not an engineer or a battery expert, can you tell me how the load tester in this unit isn't any good to test the condition of the battery? I think for the average enthusiast that wants to keep the battery in his NON-DAILY DRIVER in good shape, this charger would suit him just fine. You've already mentioned, you get the extended life from your batteries because you drive your cars weekly. Most our clients drive their p-cars a few times a month.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:43 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Since I'm not an engineer or a battery expert, can you tell me how the load tester in this unit isn't any good to test the condition of the battery?
I doubt it does a load test.

A load test is typically performed at 1/2 the CCA of the battery for 15 seconds. The voltage should not drop below 10.5V during the duration of the test. Some use roughly 11.4V, which is an even tougher test.

In the case of our batteries which have a CCA spec of roughly 600, the test would be performed at a current draw of 300A. It tells you something about the internal resistance of the battery, which should be very low...in the vicinity of 10 milli-ohms (no, don't try to measure this with an ohm meter).

Whether this battery charger is any better than a CTEK, I doubt it. Send me a link to the full technical specs. An in the end, does it have user selectable features for temperature and battery type (it cannot automatically select that as some manufacturers claim). "Good for all batteries" is like using an adjustable wrench for all nut sizes. Works...but it isn't ideal.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:51 AM
SMehder
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It depends on which model you get. The simple charger is $69 and the more advanced all-in-one is $99. Most go with the aio since it's a better value with the testing feature and its ability to rejuvenate old batteries that may be ready to scrap.
What is the difference between the "simple" and "more advanced"? Does this have a cigaarette lighter connection? I believe the hood lid has to be completely closed on the 993 to turn off the hood light. Correct. How does this compare to the Battery Tender.

I'm not trying to slight your product just doing some comparison and question regarding technology.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:36 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by SMehder
How does this compare to the Battery Tender?
+1; I having been using Battery Tenders for several years now without complaint.

Quick Reply: Last battery charger you'll ever buy!