Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Crazy 1400 mi road trip this weekend to highest pts in SC, GA & KY.Take 993 or BMW?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 10:24 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 857 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
dude, will you just sell the thing already. You make excuses not to take it.

If this isn't a trip made for a 993, what is?

God damn, play a CD or something if you're so concerned.

sheesh
Old 07-28-2010, 10:35 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 212 Posts

Where have u been?
Old 07-28-2010, 10:46 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,375 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
I haven't a clue what this is supposed to mean.

However, I know two things for sure:

1. You knew that 99% of people in this forum would say 993.
2. You knew before you made this thread that you were taking the Bimmer

Why bother asking the question knowing you are going to do the exact opposite of what everybody says.

And don't dare try to blame it on "the potential for bottoming out"
Old 07-28-2010, 10:47 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Why bother asking the question knowing you are going to do the exact opposite of what everybody says.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:32 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Damn, dude. Are you serious? Are you this upset over this thread or my post? Not that I have to qualify my decision or dignify your lashing out response with my own response but I will anyway. I don't want to leave for my vacation that I've really been looking forward to for a couple weeks now with this unresolved issue hanging over my head.

I wasn't sure which car to take so I thought I'd post my minor quandary here on my beloved Rennlist forum. Instead of a moderate response I get your tongue lashing and venom. That's cool on the a boy racer forums I guess but it seems out of place here.

I have a fairly sore back which has plagued me for years and I've decided to take the more comfortable car (BMW) with it's heated seats for when it starts hurting, and it's always hurting after driving for a few hours. I don't relish the thought of driving for 13+ hours at a stretch in the 993 now as it's not near as comfortable as my other car. It's mostly highway miles and the BMW rules under those conditions.

It also has the XM radio which I've decided is key to my enjoyment of the 25+ hours of driving. I don't listen to CD's or books on tape. I find them boring compared to the variety on XM. I listen to talk radio and the comedy channels which stimulates my mind and help keep me away when driving late at night.

Also, the roads on the east coast pretty much suck so driving that many miles is easier on my body in the sedan. And, I have my backpack, sleeping bag, tent, briefcase from work that day, suitcase, etc and I'd like to be able to lock it all up in that big BMW trunk when I stop at night. It doesn't fit in the hood of my 993 that easily if at all.

How does that translate to: I should sell my car? I would say WTF to that! Things have been really tough for me lately so replying so angrily doesn't really make for a friendly Rennlist situation. You don't know me. You have no idea the stresses I'm under right now. You don't know my personal situation. To judge someone here by saying:

"1. You knew that 99% of people in this forum would say 993.

Why the heck would I risk my 993 on some shi**y roads in the back country of Kentucky or South Carolina when I don't have to? That seems like common sense to me. If I have to sell the car in 6 mos or a yr, I'd rather not mess it up with more road chips from the trucks on Rt 81 and try to keep the mileage under 90k if possible. It doesn't mean I don't appreciate my car and enjoy driving it when I do.

I love driving it around town and short day trips to Philly or Baltimore. Taking it on a 1400 mile trip sounded kind of good 2 nights ago but now with my back feeling the way it does and the other variables in play, I'm leaving it home. That makes me a dick? Ok... I guess so.

Like I said before...

My secondary purpose for my post was to announce that I was hoping to meet up with a Rennlister or two on one of my 2 trips, but I'm not sure I understand how me not taking the 993 to get there to see them makes my situation lame?

Sadly,
Steve

Last edited by Steve 96C4S; 07-29-2010 at 07:44 AM.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:38 AM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Steve:

Have a good trip. Now that you've decided on the car with more ground clearance, drive that thing right to the top of those summits.

It's interesting how subjective comfort is. I can drive my 993 for 10 hours straight with no problems; it fits me like a glove. But a few weeks ago I drove a friend's ML 350, and my back was hurting after 20 minutes.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:13 AM
bart1
Race Car

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Things have changed and almost every road, even the narrowest goat paths are paved where I ride in the north of Italy (Passo Maniva is not to mention one).

As much as I missed my 993 because it is relatively new to me, motorcycles rule in the Alps because you can pass those obstacles known as cars, even on narrow single lane roads.
This year I didn't ride any non paved roads over there, but I was o ly in Italy for a partial day. You can immediately tell when you cross from Switzerlard to Italy, though. In Switzerland, the roads are great and any railings are well kept or painted. Power Poole are even painted green to blend in with the natural surroundings. As soon as you cross into Italy, roads are in much worse condition and everything on the side of the road seems to be rusted and in disrepair. Italy is still my favorite country over there.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:04 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 663 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by bart1
This year I didn't ride any non paved roads over there, but I was o ly in Italy for a partial day. You can immediately tell when you cross from Switzerlard to Italy, though. In Switzerland, the roads are great and any railings are well kept or painted. Power Poole are even painted green to blend in with the natural surroundings. As soon as you cross into Italy, roads are in much worse condition and everything on the side of the road seems to be rusted and in disrepair. Italy is still my favorite country over there.
I've made those same observations. Another I've made are that the mountain roads are far more interesting on the Italian side than in bordering countries.

Italy is still my favourite as well, for the roads, the scenery, the food and wine and above all, the people.

OP: Sorry for the temporary hijiack Steve, but you did bring up what vehicle to take...thats an easy one when the roads are twisty and "bagging peaks".
Old 07-29-2010, 09:28 AM
bart1
Race Car

Originally Posted by IXLR8
I've made those same observations. Another I've made are that the mountain roads are far more interesting on the Italian side than in bordering countries.

Italy is still my favourite as well, for the roads, the scenery, the food and wine and above all, the people.

OP: Sorry for the temporary hijiack Steve, but you did bring up what vehicle to take...thats an easy one when the roads are twisty and "bagging peaks".

I agree - the food and lifestyle in Italy are the best!!

As far as taking the thread off topic, the drama llama had made it's appearance, so I don't feel bad about it.

Old 08-01-2010, 04:14 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

I'm back. Great trip! As much as I love my 993 I'm glad I took the other car. The first 3 hours leaving Washington DC at 4pm on Thursday was bumper to bumper gridlock traffic on the I 495 beltway and 1-95. It was horrid to the point I was sooo glad didn't have to keep shifting up 3 feet, stop, up 5 more feet, stop, etc for hours and hours after a long day at work. Maddening.

Made it to the 3 high points safely and just to reiterate, the road to the top of Kentucky's high point was rutted with massive potholes. I was driving about 2 miles an hour a lot just to get up it. It's a mining road and I guess they just don't care about maintaining it much. I didn't want to walk up the long road, as other highpointers mostly all describe driving to (near) the high point, miles up the road. Again, the BMW was perfect for this. A large 4X4 truck would have been better.

On a Porsche note (yes, there is some minute Porsche content on this post), I was emailed by a gent that said he lived and worked in SC so i stopped in on him on the way down. We were going to hike Sassafras Mtn together the next day but I go there a day early and he couldn't get away that day. He has a 95 993 but buys and sells 928 parts as his business. Great guy, wish we had more time to talk, Mark.

Cool color scheme

Was driving by the BMW museum in SC so I had to stop in even though I was late to do Sassafras Mountain...

The Z8's always been one of my faves of all time, BMW-wise. I can't believe how well they've held their value over the years...

Retro is a good thing...

The only way to travel...if you're small

Really small.

They don't build V8's like this anymore...

Reminds me of the car from the animated movie "Cars"

One of my other favorites. My Ex Wife's dad had a 4 door version of this in silver/black. I think it was called the 3.0S

Art

Another car I'd love to have some version of... The gent I met from Bimmerboard in Georgia has an 88 M3 with 46K mi in Red in addition to his 740i.

Nice 8 minute movie showing how they build BMW's

History

Nice diversion. Back to the trip. The top of SC. Sassafras Mtn.

North Carolina from the High Pt of SC

The survey marker... and I'm gone -

No more watch shots )

A few hours later, the top of Georgia. Stunning in comparison

Top of Georgia

The Survey Marker is behind this door that the Park Ranger opened for us as he was leaving for the day... it's locked!

My friend from bimmerboard. His car is one of 225 Imola Red ones for 2001.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biltmore_Estate

I stumbled upon this old place built in 1895 yesterday morning in Asheville, SC. If you haven't been, you really must go! A bachelor built this for himself.

The History of America's Largest Home

Building Biltmore was, at the time, one of the largest undertakings in the history of American residential architecture and the results were astounding. Over a six-year period, an entire community of craftsmen worked to build the country's premier home. The estate boasted its own brick factory, woodworking shop, and a three-mile railway spur for transporting materials to the site.

The celebrated architect Richard Morris Hunt modeled the house on three châteaux built in 16th-century France. It would feature 4 acres of floor space, 250 rooms, 34 bedrooms, 43 bathrooms, and 65 fireplaces. The basement alone would house a swimming pool, gymnasium and changing rooms, bowling alley, servants' quarters, kitchens, and more. The grounds of the 125,000-acre estate were designed by Frederick Law Olmsted, the creator of New York's Central Park and the father of American landscape architecture.

He owned all this land to the mountain. Crazy money.

Finally, the highest point in KY. Took a long time to find it. Scarily bad road to get there.

It was foggy and raining a bit. Not much to look at at the high point but Hwy 160 was made for driving a Porsche 993. I have to tell ya, the 740i Sport in manual mode is amazing on the twisties. It was a dream to drive this big boat of a car in manual mode. I never put it in Steptronic mode in town here in DC, only the mountains. You really need it for the massive mountains where you'd be constantly breaking.

When you travel solo, this is the best you can get with a camera. I had to take the pics by myself.

Cool bug on the top of KY.

This was the rare good part of this road. I would not have wanted to take my 993 up here. I guess I could have left it at the bottom and walked the whole thing, but it was honestly a little creepy being the only one around for miles in the middle of Harlan County (isn't that where they filmed Deliverance?). I was happy to drive up in my car instead.

In the end, XM Radio made the trip for me (should have put XM in my 993 years ago when I was more flush with money). I listened to FM and limited AM radio one day just to see what I would have experienced in the 993, radio-wise. Mostly country stations, religious channels, weak rock channels and bad reception in the mountains particularly. I spent 12-15 hours a day driving. Having my XL Stars Too, Grateful Dead channel, Jam On, CNN and Uncensored Comedy channels helped me get through a really sore back experience and utter boredom. I put the heated seats on and it really eased my back pain. I absolutely made the right choice. I'll save the 993 for shorter trips under 4 hours each way.

I've added on another state for my Thanksgiving trip. Now it's going to be Mississippi (the new addition), Alabama, and Florida's high point.

I look forward to meeting other Rennlisters on these trips in the future even though I'm not driving my 993 to see them. Meeting up with folks made the trip so much more interesting and connected.

Last edited by Steve 96C4S; 08-01-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:30 PM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like you had a good time at the BMW Zentrum. Even though this is a Porsche forum I believe many posters here are 'serious car people' and would love the experience if ever in the Spartanburg/Greer SC area. My wife and I really enjoyed it too at the last BMW homecoming event two years ago.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:00 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Good essay, Steve. Thanks for posting.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:37 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rinty
Good essay, Steve. Thanks for posting.
Thanks guys. I enjoyed my trip so much, I'm planning yet another one for either Sept 4th weekend, a long weekend, or next June 4th weekend. The highest point in Illinois is only open 4 weekends a year, private property, Charles Mound.

Highest pt in each state:

Iowa, Hawkeye Point 1670 ft,
Charles Mound IL. 1235 ft
Missouri - Taum Sauk Mtn 1772 ft - Ozark Highlands
Arkansas, Magazine Mtn, 2753 ft, Ozark Forest, highest pt in the Ozarks
Driskill Mtn, 535 ft

1500 miles, 26 hours of pure driving.

Fly into Sioux City Iowa, fly out of Louisiana somewhere.
One way rental car drop off.

5 high points at one fell swoop over 3-4 days. )

sr

Old 08-02-2010, 11:24 PM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 18 Posts

Cool pics Steve- seems like an awesome getaway. We drive from Nashville to the Outer Banks of NC each year and you've inspired me to book a room at the Biltmore for our drive there!
Old 08-02-2010, 11:47 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993Brendan
Cool pics Steve- seems like an awesome getaway. We drive from Nashville to the Outer Banks of NC each year and you've inspired me to book a room at the Biltmore for our drive there!
You are going to be one happy puppy after you spend a day at the Biltmore and soak it all in. Enjoy your trip. I'm sure it will be A LOT nicer than the $62 a nt Rodeway Inn I stayed at in W. Asheville the other night, instead. I was by myself so it was barely ok. A smoking room (last room left) with burn holes everywhere in the room and a reeking smell of smoke (I'm a non smoker and it was really tough to stay here). It was filthy, disgusting, but wonderfully cheap for that area and for just stopping in on a whim after driving all day and 1/2 the night. I wasn't in the mood to hotel shop at 11pm. The Holiday Inn down the street was $149. I slept like a baby.

Here's the Biltmore Inn (The hotel on the property of The Biltmore Estate)

So much nicer

Makes my room look like hell in comparison

Quick Reply: Crazy 1400 mi road trip this weekend to highest pts in SC, GA & KY.Take 993 or BMW?