Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Crazy 1400 mi road trip this weekend to highest pts in SC, GA & KY.Take 993 or BMW?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 08:07 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by csertich
Pretty cool/interest hobby, Steve. Have you done this on overseas trips as well?

I think I've picked up from your past posts that you probably won't own your 993 but for another year or two (possibly). You need a last hurray, or two. You gotta take the 993. I'm tall and have taken my car on some long drives. I have my moments of discomfort and then I'm on a twisty road for hours sometimes and never even think about it. A wide open throttle expressway entry is good for 20-30 miles.

Hiking the last few miles will add to the pleasure of your quest.

Also, sent you PM.

chuck
Hi Chuck. No, I haven't done it on foreign travel though I'd like to one day. I've been invited by a friend out west to do Mexico's highest point. It's SUPER high compared to the lower 49 State High Points.

"Sitting at 18,490 feet, Pico de Orizaba is Mexico's highest point and the third highest peak in North America. The dormant volcano is part of the Eje Volcanico Transversal mountain range, situated due east of Mexico City on the border between Veracruz and Puebla."

I should have gotten XM Radio for my 993 years ago when I was flush with money!
Old 07-28-2010, 09:40 AM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you are doing this tomorrow? What time will you be heading through SC? Are you heading down 85 or 81?
Old 07-28-2010, 10:13 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by bart1
Hehe, yeah, those bad roads sound like Italy. I have been on several roads over there that were not paved and where you had to back up to a place where two cars could pass.
Things have changed and almost every road, even the narrowest goat paths are paved where I ride in the north of Italy (Passo Maniva is not to mention one).

As much as I missed my 993 because it is relatively new to me, motorcycles rule in the Alps because you can pass those obstacles known as cars, even on narrow single lane roads.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:53 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Benton
So you are doing this tomorrow? What time will you be heading through SC? Are you heading down 85 or 81?
Not sure now... I plan to leave after dinner on tomorrow night, Thursday, get 6 hours under my belt on the way to Sassafras Mtn, hit Sassafras Mtn around lunch time or before, then straight to Brasstown Bald (Ga's highest point near Blairsville). I don't have my trip itineray with me as I'm at work. I thought I take 81 most of the way down there but I could be wrong as I'm not looking at it now.

I see you're in Spartanburg. The BMW plant is there isn't it? Are they open for tours every day if you just show up out of the blue? Hmmmm, I don't think I'd have time for it quite frankly as I have to meet a friend from my 7 series BMW forum at Brasstown Bald around early dinner time to hike up together and do dinner but if you PM me you're phone #, maybe I can figure something out if it works out for both of us!

Cheers,
Steve R
Old 07-28-2010, 11:49 AM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take your tripod, Steve, so we can see pics.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:06 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rinty
Take your tripod, Steve, so we can see pics.
Sorry man, I don't own one. Which ever car I take I'll try to get some pics (small Canon Digital Elph camera) and let you all know how it went. I hate to say it... but I'm leaning towards taking the BMW now with the XM radio. I've been spoiled by it pretty badly, and it helps to keep me up at night while driving long distances with the talk shows, Grateful Dead channel, Jams channel and comedy. Driving the 993 with lowly AM/FM radio can be really boring, especially up and down 81 as it's mostly just country music and bible talk shows.

I know I'll disappoint some of you but I have to think about me and my ability to enjoy the heck out of the experience. Wish I had put XM in my 993 years ago, as this decision would have been easier. Maybe I can at least hook up with one or 2 of you along the way for trip 1 (this weekend) or trip 2 during Thanksgiving week.

Cheers and thanks for the PM's.

Steve R
Old 07-28-2010, 12:11 PM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
Not sure now... I plan to leave after dinner on tomorrow night, Thursday, get 6 hours under my belt on the way to Sassafras Mtn, hit Sassafras Mtn around lunch time or before, then straight to Brasstown Bald (Ga's highest point near Blairsville). I don't have my trip itineray with me as I'm at work. I thought I take 81 most of the way down there but I could be wrong as I'm not looking at it now.

I see you're in Spartanburg. The BMW plant is there isn't it? Are they open for tours every day if you just show up out of the blue? Hmmmm, I don't think I'd have time for it quite frankly as I have to meet a friend from my 7 series BMW forum at Brasstown Bald around early dinner time to hike up together and do dinner but if you PM me you're phone #, maybe I can figure something out if it works out for both of us!

Cheers,
Steve R
Yep, you have to make reservations for the tour and I'm not sure how long it takes, but you can visit the museum at anytime for free. Give me a call at 770-540-4583 if you are interested in stopping by my shop and popping over to the museum; it is about 15 minutes from me. I might be interested in joining you for the drive up to Sassafras, although I may have to stay at the shop depending in what comes up. If you are on a tight schedule, no worries.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:05 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I drove my 993 2000 miles in May. Had a great time driving.

I just drove my dad's 740iL 1400 miles last week. I was bored out of my mind.

Take the 993.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:19 PM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 19 Posts

Take the 993 if going solo - it will be a great opportunity to reconnect with the car over a nice long drive!

I expect you to follow-up this post upon your return with a picture of your watch in front of the scenic view from each peak!
Old 07-28-2010, 02:31 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Benton
Yep, you have to make reservations for the tour and I'm not sure how long it takes, but you can visit the museum at anytime for free. Give me a call at 770-540-4583 if you are interested in stopping by my shop and popping over to the museum; it is about 15 minutes from me. I might be interested in joining you for the drive up to Sassafras, although I may have to stay at the shop depending in what comes up. If you are on a tight schedule, no worries.
I'll put your # in my wallet and call you when I get near there!
Old 07-28-2010, 02:53 PM
richardew
R.I.P
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've probably done 500-600 road trips in my 993. It's what I bought it for. I've got an Alpine system with my 160 GB Ipod plugged in, 4 GB from my smartphone, XM w/the best of Sirius (MLB, NBA, NFL) and a Garmin. With a 993, half the fun is just getting to where you are going.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:54 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by richardew
I've probably done 500-600 road trips in my 993. It's what I bought it for. I've got an Alpine system with my 160 GB Ipod plugged in, 4 GB from my smartphone, XM w/the best of Sirius (MLB, NBA, NFL) and a Garmin. With a 993, half the fun is just getting to where you are going.
I wish I had YOUR car for this trip! Nice set up.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:23 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,385 Likes on 804 Posts

dude, will you just sell the thing already. You make excuses not to take it.

If this isn't a trip made for a 993, what is?

God damn, play a CD or something if you're so concerned.

sheesh
Old 07-28-2010, 03:51 PM
TYNUSKT
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sell the 993, downsize to a smaller house and find a new job.

Oh wait this thread isn't about any of those things

OFCOURSE YOU TAKE THE 993!!! WTF!!!
Old 07-28-2010, 10:18 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,033 Likes on 464 Posts

Steve! A trip like this is what your 993 is for. Not sure why you'd take anything else. Maybe it is time to sell.......

Quick Reply: Crazy 1400 mi road trip this weekend to highest pts in SC, GA & KY.Take 993 or BMW?