Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My First Porsche Any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 07:01 PM
Jack Ennuste
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Milage doesn't say much. 10 miles on the track is easily more than 100-500 miles on the highway in sixth gear. I would buy solid maintenance record and overall impression.

But I personally take my Porsche as a hobby and project. It's like Lego. Buy new bits and in 5 years You dont recognise the original car You bought

Jack
Old 07-23-2010, 08:29 PM
Coltranes
Advanced

Originally Posted by RDS928S
The market for a tip is very hard these days. I know no one who wants one.

Mabe a 968 or Box tip is another story!.

Rich
I'm in the market for a silver/coupe/tip. In case you know anyone selling.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:18 PM
SMehder
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a suggestion. I know the car and the seller. I bought both of my Porsches from him, and have absolutely no regrets. Plus the car is in the "deep South". This is a fairly heavily optioned car. Give him a call and get more details.

http://www.foreigncoachworks.com/Carpages/1997993.html
Old 07-23-2010, 09:54 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,034 Likes on 464 Posts

As others have said, maintenance is King, mileage not really that important. I've driven 993s with mileages from 10K all the way up to 140K..........the higher mile car felt just as good as the low miler due to the owner's high maintenance standards. Another tip: don't be afraid o a car with front end respray. As long as it's been done well it's no big deal. Any 993 with more than 50K that doesn't have stone chips has either had a full body wrap, paintwork, or the owner is lying when he tells you the paint is original.

Tan interior? If that's what you want then search for a car so equipped. This is your dream car, don't settle for something because others say you should.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:42 AM
Surfer2001
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default yea

Been there done that, got my 95 back in 04 with 52K on the clock. Did the top end and SAI clean at about 95K, note to self, didn’t really need the top end job, but I couldn’t take oil consumption. My baby now has over 130K, and runs perfect. Still get excited every time I get behind the wheel. Mods include Hergesheimer’s top end, lowering and corner balance, PPS9’s, HID’s, Full leather interior, Walrod control arm bushing, Clear Bra, & chrome turbo twists. 6 year love affair to be sure
Attached Images     
Old 07-24-2010, 01:05 AM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

An ultra-low mileage car creates a perverse disincentive to driving it, which is fundamentally at odds with the purpose of the machine. I'd shoot for one with 50K+ miles - all other things being equal, there's absolutely no mechanical advantage to a less-traveled car, and you won't have to fork over a premium for it. Ever since my car crossed the 90K threshold, I've loved it (and driven it!) more.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:10 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 682 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by plaborde
I am in the market for my 1st Porsche. I have decided on a 993. My budget is $25 to $30K. I am having trouble finding cars in that range with less that 70K miles on them. Ideally, I want a car with 50K or less.
Not easy finds, but they are definitely out there and with very low mileage for that price. I believe that Zedder paid under US$30K for his 1996 C2.

This is what you might expect...New to me 993!

All you need to do is find the right seller.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:14 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 682 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Burdell
...all other things being equal, there's absolutely no mechanical advantage to a less-traveled car.
Ed, all things being equal, I'd sooner have a low mileage example that has been maintained, than a high mileage car that has been maintained.

I don't operate as well now as I did 30 years ago...it ain't the age...its the mileage.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:45 PM
plaborde
AutoX

Ok. I have got to find out where the new post are email to me and turn that on. I was wondering if anybody was going to respond. THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP! Surfer2001 beautiful car! IXLR8, love the yellow. My daughter's dream color for the car. I am interested in a manual only. Thanks for the offer though. I hope your situation gets better and you don't have to part with the car. Now for my choice. I can up my price by $5,000 and start looking at 996TT's. So, do I go for the 993 classic aircooled or the 996TT power? They both have issues with the engines but any car does. What will hold it's resale? Has anybody had both, and what are your opinions?

Quick Reply: My First Porsche Any suggestions?