Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

I think I'm going to be sick... (another wheel well thread)

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 12:32 AM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Reddy Kilowatt
Y'all are crazy.
Originally Posted by mr_bock
Why bother...
Just drive the car as it was suppose to be driven!!!!!
Originally Posted by AOW162435
What a galactic waste of time! Why don't people just drive their cars instead of pissing away time on silly stuff like this?

You guys are right. The sprinklers broke at the high school down the street. The baseball field was completely saturated with mud and I decided to just do donuts for about an hour straight. Now the wheel wells are coated with mud again and I'm back at square 1. I can now go to the track with the rest of you guys without shame. Cleaning your car is for pussies!!! Anyone want to buy some extra cans of Xenit?

Originally Posted by P1CR
so..when are you going to do my car?
When are you gonna give me your wheels?

To the rest of you - Thanks dudes!!!
Old 07-24-2010, 01:29 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 232 Posts

As promised.

Andreas
Old 07-24-2010, 02:53 AM
pcarhombre
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mr Bock: I'm not familiar with sand buffing. Is this something I should do to my neighbor's car when I'm angry, or a description of some tantric thing best to be performed at the shore? Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:26 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 140 Posts

What is Xenit?
Old 07-25-2010, 01:46 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cactus
What is Xenit?
I don't know, but if you huff about 6 or 7 cans of it in a day your car starts looking really clean.

BTW, my garage smells like an orange grove.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:07 PM
larpy
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I continued on my cleaning journey last night. I spent about 2.5 hours with "00" stainless steel and polished up the aluminum after applying my "secret sauce" to brighten everything up. Looks amazing! I will post pics when I have some time.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:26 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

I probably missed it in one of the earlier threads, but doesn't the cosmoline help with rust protection? It sure is ugly looking stuff, but why does everyone want to remove it?
Old 07-27-2010, 12:11 AM
larpy
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kika
I probably missed it in one of the earlier threads, but doesn't the cosmoline help with rust protection? It sure is ugly looking stuff, but why does everyone want to remove it?
It was used as a protectant against salt water. The aluminum engine case, steel parts, etc when shipped overseas could have been damaged by the sea salt.

Many of our cars will never see snow so the need for cosmoline is not necessary. I do not know if it is true but I believe cosmoline may also hold heat. I have nothing to base that on. I just use it for my own self justification to keep removing that crap off the bottom of my P-Car
Old 07-27-2010, 01:38 AM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by larpy
It was used as a protectant against salt water. The aluminum engine case, steel parts, etc when shipped overseas could have been damaged by the sea salt.

Many of our cars will never see snow so the need for cosmoline is not necessary. I do not know if it is true but I believe cosmoline may also hold heat. I have nothing to base that on. I just use it for my own self justification to keep removing that crap off the bottom of my P-Car

+1 to what Larpy said. Plus they managed to get it all over all of the plastic wheel well liners and everything else that had no chance of corroding. I feel like I managed to shave about 5 lbs of the stuff off of my car just with the wheel wells! Plus I think it reduced my Cd.

When I told my dad about the cosmo cleaning, he told me that during the Korean war he used to have to clean cosmoline off of the rifles. He didn't tell me if he used Xenit though.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:32 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

OK, I understand about the weight savings and it if isn't really necessary anymore. But, I don't see how Mike has time for this kind of stuff with a 1 year old at home...
Old 07-27-2010, 03:53 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kika
OK, I understand about the weight savings and it if isn't really necessary anymore. But, I don't see how Mike has time for this kind of stuff with a 1 year old at home...
Ha!!! I think the weight savings was closer to 5 mg, not 5 lbs. As for time, Carrie and the kid are back east right now. They come back Thursday. The last thing on my list is replacing the control arm bushings. I just went to Lowe's last night to get all the stuff I need to do them. I'm going to start attacking tonight when I get home. You're welcome to come over and help. Free beer!!!
Old 07-28-2010, 02:52 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by gonzilla
Ha!!! I think the weight savings was closer to 5 mg, not 5 lbs. As for time, Carrie and the kid are back east right now. They come back Thursday. The last thing on my list is replacing the control arm bushings. I just went to Lowe's last night to get all the stuff I need to do them. I'm going to start attacking tonight when I get home. You're welcome to come over and help. Free beer!!!
Tuesday is softball nite, just got back from my game. I am free Wed nite though, let me know if you need help, you have my email.

Quick Reply: I think I'm going to be sick... (another wheel well thread)