Sponsored by:

Matching HID lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 09:14 AM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Matching HID lights

I just ordered the TechArt fog/duct set and am planning on changing the lights to HID.
As I currently run 6000K HID on my low beams (from the Vertex group buy in 2006), should I get 6000K or 5000K HID for the fog HID conversion?
Old 07-23-2010, 12:16 PM
Coop
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

Hi Russ, I just did this 5 months ago. I used the system from Xenon Depot. This system is just like the factory Litronics where the headlights "pop" like a flash bulb as you turn them on! The install was fast, i have a great guy here in Toronto that used ALL the factory holes and grommets! He put the balasts behind the licences plate (inside the trunk of course). Xenon Depot match your year/ model so the HID lit doest't look to "new", more along the factory look... www.xenondepot.com I am VERY happy witht he kit. One of the best upgrades.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:47 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Russ:

There's been a few threads running lately on fogs, and IIRC, one of them had a recommendation for a colour temperature.

If you do an advanced search restricted to the 993 section, you should be able to find it. I'll poke around on the weekend, if I have time.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:16 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Sorry if I wasn't clear with my question -

As I'm planning on using the fog lamps as "driving lights", should the HID bulb in the fog lamp position be the same color temp as the headlight?
Old 07-23-2010, 05:36 PM
sdcabrio
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Where did you source the Techart fogs and how much?
Old 07-23-2010, 05:56 PM
EckFe1
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

One thought to consider, the 4300k has the highest light output, lumen! Everything else starts to turn more blueish but loose lumen.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:59 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi There. I have Techart Fogs newly installed with complete brake air ducting installed through professionally to inside front wheel fender liners etc.

I put in a Digital HID kit. I mountd the ballastes behind the alloy bumper bar on velcro mounts.

What I can tell you 100% is that these are true TUV certified Hella fog light assemblies. By that I mean the glass and projector design (which you cant change) are angled down and to the left and right of the car.i.e. the light down low and wide like a true foglight should.

I ran a 5000k 35w HID bilb in it and it looked far too blue compared to my low beam HID conversion which runs around 4000k. I then changed the bulbs to 4200k and it looks better but if you are standing right infront of the car and kneel down to headlight level the fog still looks bluer than the HID low beam headlights. If you put the car on a ramp, lift it, and you are at eye level with the pavement the colours are in actual fact almost identical - however the fogs will always look bluer than the headlights when standing in front of the car. I determined to get the colour right asthetically when standing looking at the car you would need to go 1000k at lease lower (more white/yellow) than than theheadlights and they do not make a 35W HID H3 in that colour range that I could find. Its al to do with the fact the blbs are angled at around 20 degrees inside thehousing and thus give off a different hue at those angles when looked at straight on.

Im not sure that makes sense but heres a picture to help. By the way its an awesome upgrade but given the work to seat the techart set up in the bumper to an accepatble standard (some dremel work) and the work to plumb the air cooling professionally to the brakes (need to cust some alloy and alot o dremel and trial fitting) the total hours labour for this project was huge and in hindesight very expensive.....
Attached Images  
Old 07-23-2010, 06:09 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Just checked my notes again. Infact the kit Gert sent me was 8000k bulbs. I hunted on the interenet and found the lowest K H3 HID bulbs I could puchase were 6000k. I believe this is still the case but someone correct me if I am wrong. I changed out to 6000k and my main beams are actually 5000k. So the fogs should be slightly bluer than the headlight hid low beams - however in reality they look much bluer again due to difraction and the angle. If they start selling a 4000k bulb I will install that but cant seem to find one for sale......
Old 07-23-2010, 06:29 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by EckFe1
One thought to consider, the 4300k has the highest light output, lumen! Everything else starts to turn more blueish but loose lumen.
That's the exact original reason for my posting this question thread. I want to use the fogs as "driving lights" and the purpose/ excuse for going through with this upgrade is to improve the lighting of the road. I understand that as the HID frequency increases the projected output decreases. While I want to stay close with the color match, another thought was that a "whiter" fog might decrease the risk of a ticket for a lighting violation...

Originally Posted by Macca
Hi There. I have Techart Fogs newly installed with complete brake air ducting installed through professionally to inside front wheel fender liners etc.

I put in a Digital HID kit. I mountd the ballastes behind the alloy bumper bar on velcro mounts.

What I can tell you 100% is that these are true TUV certified Hella fog light assemblies. By that I mean the glass and projector design (which you cant change) are angled down and to the left and right of the car.i.e. the light down low and wide like a true foglight should.

I ran a 5000k 35w HID bilb in it and it looked far too blue compared to my low beam HID conversion which runs around 4000k. I then changed the bulbs to 4200k and it looks better but if you are standing right infront of the car and kneel down to headlight level the fog still looks bluer than the HID low beam headlights. If you put the car on a ramp, lift it, and you are at eye level with the pavement the colours are in actual fact almost identical - however the fogs will always look bluer than the headlights when standing in front of the car. I determined to get the colour right asthetically when standing looking at the car you would need to go 1000k at lease lower (more white/yellow) than than theheadlights and they do not make a 35W HID H3 in that colour range that I could find. Its al to do with the fact the blbs are angled at around 20 degrees inside thehousing and thus give off a different hue at those angles when looked at straight on.

Im not sure that makes sense but heres a picture to help. By the way its an awesome upgrade but given the work to seat the techart set up in the bumper to an accepatble standard (some dremel work) and the work to plumb the air cooling professionally to the brakes (need to cust some alloy and alot o dremel and trial fitting) the total hours labour for this project was huge and in hindesight very expensive.....
Macca - Excellent information! Thank you, this really helps with my decision.

As my low beam HID are 6000K, it sounds like the 5000K H3 35watt HID conversion kit from DDM will work well.

I'm not planning on running the air ducting as the car is "street only" and I'm going to try to DIY the bumper modification prior to having the ducts painted.

Originally Posted by sdcabrio
Where did you source the Techart fogs and how much?
Gert has the best price. Add 40Euro for shipping to the USA to his posted price on www.carnewal.com
I'm hoping he charged my credit card before the uptick in the Euro today....
I did contact CEC in LA and they would only "discount" to a price that was still >$300 more than Gert.

Last edited by DocTock993; 07-23-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:48 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi Russ,

I think with that combo you will be fine. I just checked ebay and they now sell H3 5000k HID bulb only kits so looks like in teh last 9 months they have finally produced a lower K kit. I bought one and will fit it and see if it goes some way to correcting the colour disarity.

Either way they (techart Hella enclosures) work very well to light the road and are a quality product...

Best of luck

Quick Reply: Matching HID lights