993 Forum 1995-1998

OEM vs, Lloyd mats

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 01:06 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Mark, I think your pricing is excellent (I'll probably be looking for no-embroidery version). Not sure about the cross-country shipping, although I'm thinking the mats would be dropped-shipped from Lloyd, right?
Old 07-19-2010, 01:14 PM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Mike - the OEM mats from Porsche have a foam rubber backing whereas the Lloyd mats have a thick ruberized backing. I've bought both and the carpet pile in the Lloyd mats is a bit thicker and heavier but I think the OEM mats are a slightly better match to the interior carpet texture. I just can't color match the classic gray interior color eitherway so for my next set it would be a toss up.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:09 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
Mark, I think your pricing is excellent (I'll probably be looking for no-embroidery version). Not sure about the cross-country shipping, although I'm thinking the mats would be dropped-shipped from Lloyd, right?
That is correct, the mats drop ship directly from Lloyd. Shipping on a 4 piece set is around $16-$19 depending on what you get. No sales tax since you are not in California.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:29 AM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Timely thread. I have considered all 3 discussed here. I like Coco but my inclination is to get embroidered from Lloyds. Looks very Porsche imo.
Plus, the guys at FD are the best and it would be a pleasure to spend my money with them over another vendor. Ask me about my PSS10s and Exhaust I got from them.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:50 PM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

can someone tell me how to remove the 'caps' from the OEM add-on mat retaining system ? I just got a brand new set and if I can figure out how to get the black plastic caps off I may put them on the driver's side and just punch a hole through my aftermarket rubber-backed mats (not OEM or Lloyd's, black with embroidered crest in the middle).

THANKS

<edit>
Never mind, I get it, there must have been some BIG holes with grommets on the rear of the OEM mats that worked with these post things. Unless I wanted to cut some BIG holes in my current mats, it looks like these things are worthless. It appears that the top of the post turns to make protrusions over which the holes in the OEM mats could not slip over. I was making an assumption that these plastic caps come completely off leaving a metal post that would have fit up through some holes in mats but I don't see how the plastic caps would come off of these metal things that mount up under the front seat rails. If anyone can tell me if I'm correct I would appreciate it, and are these 'mat holders' I've obtained worthless or does someone make mats with holes in the rear that these things fit ?
Thanks
</edit>

Last edited by DB_NC_95C2; 12-06-2010 at 09:08 PM.
Old 05-10-2017, 02:56 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 732 Likes on 521 Posts

Bumping this old thread. Just received the Front D & P Lloyd Mats and they have a Big old Hole in them near the back of the mat closer to the seat. My OEM Mats have the straps and clip type that secure the mat to the car. Where do I mount the new LLoyds mats to? In what hole and with what mount? Thanks!
Old 05-10-2017, 03:05 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

The carpet hole fits over a threaded stud on the floor and is held in place with a large plastic screw cap.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:05 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 360 Posts

There should be threaded screws where each of the holes is located. The mats come with plastic screws that thread onto those threaded screws, securing the mats in place.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:26 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Awesome guys thanks! Yeah my car has been in the shop getting my 30K service and a bunch of other stuff and I received my mats and was like "what the hell are these holes for?" ....knowing that my current mats are secured by snap clips to the seat and mats. This makes sense
Old 05-15-2017, 07:07 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,017 Posts

Lloyd makes two similar grades of pile mats. The thinner one is like the OE mat the thicker one is quite deep and seems to have a very dense pile. I ordered black mats with yellow Carrera embroidery and yellow edge binding to match my Speed Yellow car. Now that I have had them several years I would keep the the color edge binding but avoid the embroidery as it gets dirty rather quickly. My mats came with the hold down holes and deeper plastic nuts to allow for holding down the thicker carpet.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:11 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

I installed mine over the weekend and look great. Correct the plastic screw downs worked great to hold the mats in place.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:50 PM
BradB
Drifting

Originally Posted by Gbos1
I installed mine over the weekend and look great. Correct the plastic screw downs worked great to hold the mats in place.
I'm curious, what design style did you get?

I am going to order a set of dark grey mats and wanted the "Carrera 4S" embroidery. But on the website it looks like that may be only on black mats and it looks like it's only 6 1/2" long. That seems odd.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:47 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 700 Likes on 511 Posts

Lloyd's colors usually are a bit off, at least the cashmere color was......went Coco Mats.....much better look.......
Old 08-22-2017, 03:59 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,017 Posts

OEM mats, what are they?
Old 08-22-2017, 06:32 PM
BradB
Drifting

As a follow up, I contacted Lloyds customer service and spoke with Gary. (Great guy, very friendly and informative.) He sent me out about a dozen samples. We looked at the website and found it had some wrong info regarding sizes of the embroidered logo. Also, the "new" style of logos on Lloyd mats is by default is a type of appliqué that has a bit of a black or brown halo around it, which can be a plus or a minus depending on your visual desires. It makes it stand out more, but is different that embroidery. This appliqué is "welded" to the mat and provides a very solid and sharp detailed logo.

The "old style" of traditional embroidery through the mat itself can still be done but you need to call Gary. This is what was originally OEM style. I spec'd a dark cool-grey mat and black "Carrera" in traditional embroidery. It should be subtle but classy. And hold up well to dirt and traffic. Pictures when I get them!

Quick Reply: OEM vs, Lloyd mats