Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

OEM vs, Lloyd mats

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 10:38 PM
JimPA
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

I have OEM gray mats, bought new a couple of years ago when my removable carpet sections were showing significant wear (the car is a daily driver). To clarify, mats in Porsche-speak are installed over the top of the removable carpet section that has the hole for the vertical stud. The mats are supposed to be held in place with a combo gripper clip and pointed hook. I attached these fasteners at the rear corners of the mat. The gripper works as expected. The hook looks like a drapery hook and attaches to the glued-in carpet. LSS, the hooks don't stay put which means the mats don't either. In addition, the mats seem to stain easily and don't clean up well with foam carpet cleaner. All in all, these mats were a waste of money.

Last edited by JimPA; 07-18-2010 at 10:44 PM. Reason: add
Old 07-19-2010, 12:40 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Mark, thanks!

Just did a search and sawf TruBerber as I've never even heard of that. Interesting, but they don't make it in blue. So it's Ultimats, I guess. Curious which of the two blue colors would be best for Midnight Blue interior.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:12 AM
SKM
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts
Default LLoyd vs OEM Mats

I have owned several sets of Lloyd and OEM/Porsche mats over the years. In the 1980s and early/mid-90's Lloyd made the floor mats that came as optional equipment on new Porsches. My early '93 RS America and late '95 993 both have original Lloyd mats. In the early 2000's Porsche dealers did not sell Lloyds mats for some reason. (My dates may be a bit off, but I know of these dates based on mats I bought from the dealer.) A few years ago Lloyd was licensed again to sell mats with Porsche lettering.

I have found Lloyd mats to be high quality. They come with a full range of Porsche lettering choices. The colors match the Porsche carpets well. The current 993 mat from Lloyd is held down at the post which retains the factory carpet mat and the mats come with a longer plastic retaining cap to hold them in place. No more straps, no pins with clips, etc. Very clean installation. Lloyd mats are also generously cut so they fit firmly in the footwell area even if laid on top of the factory carpet without using the retaining post and cap.

The lettering does get dirty. I spray the mats with Scotchgard carpet protector to repel water and dirt.

The lowest prices (by far) I have found on Lloyd "Ultimat" mats is Mike's Custom Car Care Products. 800-498-7882. He has thousands of sales on eBay. I ordered over the phone rather via eBay.

For front embroidered 'Porsche' mats, an embroided rear deck mat and a plain trunk mat his price was at least $60-75 less delivered than other competitive Lloyd mat retailers. In my experience, Sunset Porsche was the best price out there, however Mike's is now the lowest I have found.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:46 AM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
All good info, but... how do they compare to OEM if anyone had both in their car?
I had ONE original mat left in my car when I bought it. It was pretty beat up but the Lloyds I ordered fit perfectly and seem to be of equal quality. I'n not into thread counts or weights but comparing the two side by side showed me no difference or very little difference in quality. I like them very much.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:00 AM
JimGinKC
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkD

There is a longer plastic nut... I can check and see if I have extra if you like. I think I have a couple.
If not, I am sure I can get Llloyd to send us some.

thanks Mark - I didn't get the longer plastic nuts with my mats. I'll contact Lloyds
Old 07-19-2010, 09:13 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

NC, was the backing about the same on both? My concern is not fit (they both fit fine). It's sliding around after some period of time, which, I think, OEM mats are prone to do and Lloyds are not, being stiffer on the back.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:06 AM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

NC, was the backing about the same on both? My concern is not fit (they both fit fine). It's sliding around after some period of time, which, I think, OEM mats are prone to do and Lloyds are not, being stiffer on the back.
I just went out in the garage and checked for you. Why didn't I throw out the original mat? No idea but maybe it was so that I could answer this question one day.
In my opinion, the backing is very similar. Both have that rubbery back that would seem to prevent the 'sliding around' issue. The original actually held up pretty well. It is just the top carpet side that is really in worn shape.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:28 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for checking!

That is odd, though. The OEM mat I aw yesterday had soft grey cloth material on the back. Is there more than one type of OEM mat?
Old 07-19-2010, 10:38 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

I'm really confused as to why there is so much concern here.

The mats don't move, period. The backing doesn't matter because its held in place with a metal post.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:15 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Actually... no it's not really held by a metal post. The OEM version I'm looking at (a local friend of mine is selling them) is shown here: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/5456439-post5.html I also saw the same mats in another 993 on Saturday. No post holes, no straps, no attachments of any sort.

These are Tequipment mats. They are OEM, right?
Old 07-19-2010, 11:24 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

Actually... no it's not really held by a metal post. The OEM version I'm looking at (a local friend of mine is selling them) is shown here: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/5456439-post5.html I also saw the same mats in another 993 on Saturday. No post holes, no straps, no attachments of any sort.

These are Tequipment mats. They are OEM, right?
That I believe is an oem mat with the silly strap/hook contraption.

The Lloyds are the way to go here.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:27 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Actually, this one doesn't even have the strap and hook (I know beause my current black Lloyds do and they are a pretty distinct thing, hard to miss ).

So... it seems like there was at least 2 if not 3 different OEM setups.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:45 AM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

FWIW, I just received a set of OEM Tequipment mats for my '87 Carrera. I assume they're basically the same mats as those for the 993, aside from their dimensions. The mats came with a hook to anchor them to the underlying carpet. I haven't bothered to use it yet since the mats aren't moving around, but it is included. The mats fit perfectly as well.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:11 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SKM
I have owned several sets of Lloyd and OEM/Porsche mats over the years. In the 1980s and early/mid-90's Lloyd made the floor mats that came as optional equipment on new Porsches. My early '93 RS America and late '95 993 both have original Lloyd mats. In the early 2000's Porsche dealers did not sell Lloyds mats for some reason. (My dates may be a bit off, but I know of these dates based on mats I bought from the dealer.) A few years ago Lloyd was licensed again to sell mats with Porsche lettering.

I have found Lloyd mats to be high quality. They come with a full range of Porsche lettering choices. The colors match the Porsche carpets well. The current 993 mat from Lloyd is held down at the post which retains the factory carpet mat and the mats come with a longer plastic retaining cap to hold them in place. No more straps, no pins with clips, etc. Very clean installation. Lloyd mats are also generously cut so they fit firmly in the footwell area even if laid on top of the factory carpet without using the retaining post and cap.

The lettering does get dirty. I spray the mats with Scotchgard carpet protector to repel water and dirt.

The lowest prices (by far) I have found on Lloyd "Ultimat" mats is Mike's Custom Car Care Products. 800-498-7882. He has thousands of sales on eBay. I ordered over the phone rather via eBay.

For front embroidered 'Porsche' mats, an embroided rear deck mat and a plain trunk mat his price was at least $60-75 less delivered than other competitive Lloyd mat retailers. In my experience, Sunset Porsche was the best price out there, however Mike's is now the lowest I have found.
good advice on the Scotch-guard

regarding "lowest price" you may want to check with FD Motorsports. We will match pricing

Also, be sure we are comparing the same material when looking at pricing
Old 07-19-2010, 01:05 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by logan2z
FWIW, I just received a set of OEM Tequipment mats for my '87 Carrera. I assume they're basically the same mats as those for the 993, aside from their dimensions. The mats came with a hook to anchor them to the underlying carpet. I haven't bothered to use it yet since the mats aren't moving around, but it is included. The mats fit perfectly as well.
Something just dawned on me. Logan, you mean the small metal clip, right? Not the strap I'm thinking about that Lloyd used to use.

Quick Reply: OEM vs, Lloyd mats